PDA

View Full Version : Tow Straps

JD Night Fox
04-26-2011, 06:23 PM
I'm going to be out at Lake Pleasant this weekend, and since life is unpredictable I would like to borrow some recovery straps in case somebody else decides they have a go anywhere vehicle.

I think two would work I guess. Don't know much about the weight limit ratings.

Will anyone else be out there Saturday-Sunday? In case I need backup. I've got a CB so I can radio in stuff.

BellyDoc
04-26-2011, 07:13 PM
Tow straps are cheap and lightweight... sold all over the place... they roll up pretty small... any particular reason you don't want to just buy one? Tuck it in next to your jack and forget about it?

mingoglia
04-26-2011, 07:18 PM
Typically you'll want to look for a recovery strap, as opposed to a tow strap. A recovery strap for a Jeep will be either 20,000lbs or 30,000lbs. The difference is a recovery strap is designed typically to stretch 1/3 of it's original length (some will stretch up to 50%). You never want to use a tow strap with hooks for recovery purposes.

Mike

azgypsy1234
04-26-2011, 07:24 PM
i agree with doc,,,, every jeep should have a recovery strap! GREAT INVESTMENT!

85LAREDOCJ7
04-26-2011, 07:33 PM
Yeah.....exactly. And why are you worried about what everybody else is doing...worry about yourself dude....and get a strap. Never heard of 'borrowing" a recovery strap in case somebody else gets stuck......what if you get stuck?

JD Night Fox
04-26-2011, 07:47 PM
Yeah.....exactly. And why are you worried about what everybody else is doing...worry about yourself dude....and get a strap. Never heard of 'borrowing" a recovery strap in case somebody else gets stuck......what if you get stuck?

Because I'm camping. Not wheeling.

And there are plenty of people who like to do stoopid things

P.S. I'm at 75th / Tbird since I didn't post that originally

Typically you'll want to look for a recovery strap, as opposed to a tow strap. A recovery strap for a Jeep will be either 20,000lbs or 30,000lbs. The difference is a recovery strap is designed typically to stretch 1/3 of it's original length (some will stretch up to 50%). You never want to use a tow strap with hooks for recovery purposes.

Mike

And thanks. I guess I can ask to borrow one of those then?

85LAREDOCJ7
04-26-2011, 07:51 PM
Because I'm camping. Not wheeling.

And there are plenty of people who like to do stoopid things

P.S. I'm at 75th / Tbird since I didn't post that originally

And thanks. I guess I can ask to borrow one of those then?

Dude...if your out camping....then who cares what they are doing...do you plan the trip with the hopes you'll get to use the recovery strap? Why did you post your address?

It's not UNICEF bro...just go buy one already...

JD Night Fox
04-26-2011, 07:53 PM
Dude...if your out camping....then who cares what they are doing...do you plan the trip with the hopes you'll get to use the recovery strap? Why did you post your address?

It's not UNICEF bro...just go buy one already...

QQ moar

I'm wanting to borrow them "in case" somebody does something, that way I can at least HELP them bro

Address = people near me

And I don't have any money left over after buying my new Weber carb

JK Inferno
04-26-2011, 07:57 PM
Quotes aren't really good for emphasis.

Anyway. Just go buy one man, they aren't expensive and then you always have one. I keep one 2" by 30' rated at 20k#, one 3" by 30' rated for 30k# and a 6' tree saver for my winch with 6 clevis shackles.

It's better just to have one yourself than rely on getting one via the generosity of others. Nothing against VJC, it's just stupid not to have your own recovery gear just in case.

Be prepared.

85LAREDOCJ7
04-26-2011, 08:03 PM
Plus...this isn't UNICEF.....if you can't afford to buy it, then maybe you don't need it. Why inconvenience somebody else on here. Like they say tough s**t if they do something stupid. Let them pay a recovery company and maybe they will think twice the next time...

mingoglia
04-26-2011, 08:12 PM
The ball busting's just not going to stop on the recovery strap. You really need your OWN. If you can't swing a piece of basic recovery equipment, you should probably consider skipping this trip and take the gas money and buy yourself a brand new strap. The price you'll pay on gas to get there will likely more than pay for the strap. They're not expensive, and then you'll have it for the next camping trip. I know it's lame to judge people and say what they should or should not spend money on, but you just need the most basic of gear. There's nothing more basic when offroad than a inexpensive recovery strap. Don't be "that guy" when you're wheeling/camping with buddies.

JK Inferno
04-26-2011, 08:14 PM
You can look up a thread of me helping 3 of "those guys" out a couple weekends ago

Nick Ricci
04-26-2011, 08:36 PM
Why would you need 2 anyway I have never needed more than 1?

They are like 35 bucks buy one or sell your jeep thats less than half a tank of gas.

JD Night Fox
04-26-2011, 08:50 PM
Why would you need 2 anyway I have never needed more than 1?

They are like 35 bucks buy one or sell your jeep thats less than half a tank of gas.

This message has been moderated.

BellyDoc
04-26-2011, 09:19 PM
The ones with metal hooks aren't the best idea for offroad recovery.

There may be some terminology issues, too. The ones that stretch, I've always called "snatch straps" and they're what the mudders use when they're doing wide open throttle recoveries of half buried rigs in swamps. I'd recommend the super basic yellow flat strap that doesn't stretch. Call it a "recovery strap" or a "tow strap" ... whatever. It's best to get the one with two sewn eyelets in the ends. I like the non-stretch type because it doesn't do anything surprising.

You can loop it through itself around frames, axles, designated recovery points or even cage bars. You can attach it with shackles. You can wrap it around a tree and use it as an anchor. You can double it up for half length, etc. It's just basically a piece of rope, and all the rigging smarts are up to you.

There are lots of areas in 4 wheeling where I'm all about recommending that people spend a little to get the peace of mind that comes with quality products.

This ain't one of 'em.

This is a cheap piece of material that you should use and abuse. Grind it, fray it, don't baby it, and then replace it. Use *IT* to help reduce abuse on other things that you care about... like winch rope. Run the strap over the evil rocks and then hook up the winch rope in nice free space.

You can probably find them at Harbor Freight for less than 20 bucks. It probably comes out of the same Chinese factory that the ones at Pep Boys come from, for 30 bucks, or that the ones labelled "Warn" come from that you'll find at an off-road shop for 40. Get two, and shelve one for later.

Asking to borrowing one just sounds strange. It's giving me the same uncomfortable feeling as if you were asking to borrow some of my underwear. Honestly... if you're that broke, you can have mine and never give it back... seriously. I'll just go get a couple more.

Nick Ricci
04-26-2011, 09:25 PM
This message has been moderated.

POPPY**** I wanna know!

Nick Ricci
04-26-2011, 09:28 PM
WHAT more Censorship! http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/poppy****

Nick Ricci
04-26-2011, 09:28 PM
EVEN CENSORED the link to the dictionary not my night for sure lol

JK Inferno
04-26-2011, 09:32 PM
haahah that's awesome

mingoglia
04-26-2011, 09:38 PM
POPPY**** I wanna know!

He wrote that himself... the message wasn't actually moderated. :)

Nick Ricci
04-26-2011, 09:41 PM
Ya I know lol

JD Night Fox
04-26-2011, 09:45 PM
ya i know lol

:)

Nick Ricci
04-26-2011, 09:48 PM
Ok ill leave you alone, but really if you don't have a strap go buy one. You can borrow mine but it would cost you more in gas than it would be to buy one. That and I don't want you to know where I live.

JD Night Fox
04-26-2011, 09:50 PM
Ok ill leave you alone, but really if you don't have a strap go buy one. You can borrow mine but it would cost you more in gas than it would be to buy one. That and I don't want you to know where I live.

:) :) :) :) :)

85LAREDOCJ7
04-26-2011, 10:16 PM
Yeah.....this dude is F'n creepy.

Howyadoin
04-26-2011, 10:32 PM
Not to beat a dead horse, but a quality tow strap is simply the most basic Jeeping item that should be mandatory before leaving pavement. .02

Nick Ricci
04-26-2011, 10:39 PM
1 spare tire
2 strap
3 tools

Have these things or stay home

mingoglia
04-26-2011, 10:40 PM
1 spare tire
2 strap
3 tools

Have these things or stay home

Looks like I'm out of the contest. The previous poster Mr West is as well. Neither of us carry spares. We're such n00bs. :(

Nick Ricci
04-26-2011, 10:51 PM
HA! that makes me the most hardcore here because I have all 3!

meh I was thinking of getting rid of mine too, and if all the cool kids are doing it...

JK Inferno
04-26-2011, 11:08 PM
I've got all that n more too! Wouldn't leave home without any of it

djui5
04-26-2011, 11:25 PM
I'm out too, my spare is shredded. I recommend 2 spares, 5 straps, a Snapon toolbox full of sockets, wrenches, air tools, and a set of pry bars. You also have to have onboard air, 3 winches, cut off tool and an air grinder. If you don't have a ready welder then forget it.

:laugh2:

zjfabn
04-27-2011, 01:17 AM
Looks like I'm out of the contest. The previous poster Mr West is as well. Neither of us carry spares. We're such n00bs. :(

I bet you carry 100 plugs though.

I'm out too, my spare is shredded. I recommend 2 spares, a crutch, 5 straps, a Snapon toolbox full of sockets, wrenches, air tools, and a set of pry bars. You also have to have onboard air, 3 winches, cut off tool and an air grinder. If you don't have a ready welder then forget it.

Hahahah. Fixed!

CrashDawson
04-27-2011, 09:19 AM
:beatdeadhorse5::beatdeadhorse5::beatdeadhorse5:So rry got to beat the horse again
Get a strap You don't need to prepare for everyone else. You prepare yourself to go out stuff that fits your vehicle stuff to get you out of spots. I dont load my Jeep thinking maybe someone will need to fix there Hummer out on the trail so I should carry spares or any other thing for them. I don't mind helping someone out this what I have when were on the trail. But I do carry straps, dont go offroad with out one expecting someone that comes to help you supply everything needed for the recovery

djui5
04-27-2011, 09:23 AM
Haha!

lancetkenyon
04-27-2011, 09:32 AM
Why not just borrow someones buggy? Then you won't get stuck.

JD Night Fox
04-27-2011, 09:43 AM
I'm out too, my spare is shredded. I recommend 2 spares, 5 straps, a Snapon toolbox full of sockets, wrenches, air tools, and a set of pry bars. You also have to have onboard air, 3 winches, cut off tool and an air grinder. If you don't have a ready welder then forget it.

Are you preparing for an Apollo mission? Or is that just a Liberty thing.

zjfabn
04-27-2011, 10:01 AM
Ive seen a lot of guys that lone out straps on Pirate. Your best bet is starting a thread there.

mingoglia
04-27-2011, 10:02 AM
Ive seen a lot of guys that lone out straps on Pirate. Your best bet is starting a thread there.

Good point, I too have seen this. :smug:

AZLugz
04-27-2011, 10:10 AM

CRAP....Knew I was missing something.....

[mental note] need ready welder [/mental note]

Superhook
04-27-2011, 10:13 AM
Get in your own back pocket, Buy a strap, And stop Screwing with us!

mingoglia
04-27-2011, 10:16 AM

I may buy him a strap just for him being a good sport about us busting his balls about it. :D

85LAREDOCJ7
04-27-2011, 10:18 AM
get in your own back pocket, buy a strap, and stop screwing with us!

hahahahahaha

LO PHAT
04-27-2011, 11:03 AM

LOL! This entire thread is so dumb that it's absolutely wonderful! :aagh:

djui5
04-27-2011, 11:04 AM
I have a brand new strap he can have. Maybe we can call it even for that gps cable I can't seem to find.

DanFelix
04-27-2011, 11:51 AM
I have a brand new strap he can have. Maybe we can call it even for that gps cable I can't seem to find.

A TOW strap Randy, not a whippping strap :whip: :aagh:

AZLugz
04-27-2011, 11:57 AM
awwww, c'mon, Randy has been the b_tch enough times to know what the whippin strap is around here!!!

djui5
04-27-2011, 11:57 AM
What about....nevermind.

It's a tow strap, without hooks :smiley2:

djui5
04-27-2011, 12:00 PM

+2, Pirate will hook you up.

JD Night Fox
04-27-2011, 03:00 PM
http://www.cnet.com/i/bto/20080908/Thread-Offtopic-Derailed.jpg

Cajun
04-27-2011, 03:12 PM
J D you need to find a secondary form of entertainment, something beyond the VJC. Find a girlfriend, one that will put up with you.:) Then when you take your jeep out, and find someone in need, the girlfriend can jump out and attach your "borrowed strap-on" to your jeep and you get to "yank" someone out.:smilielol5:

Nick Ricci
04-27-2011, 03:29 PM
LOL good luck