PDA

View Full Version : Hit & Run

Doc in AZ
03-29-2011, 08:15 AM
yesterday afternoon while traveling on that little street (fries? friar?) that goes from 67th ave by AMC 4x4 to grand ave a woman was following too closely behind me. i tapped my brake a couple times to get her to back off but she didn't. when i got to the yield sign at grand i came to a complete stop. as i began to roll out i hit the brakes when i saw a car coming. the woman behind me wasn't paying attention & launched into me.

the hit was hard enough to scatter everything inside and knock me around pretty hard.

i got out, organize the traffic that was backing up and began to get the woman's info. she began to get beligerant, would produce her license or registration. when i went to my truck to get my pen and paper she took off. i was able to get her license number but chose not to persue her and just wait for police. insurance is apparently very different than it was in california. i was adamant about getting "un-insured/ under insured" coverage. in california this coverage included all medical for occupants and the vehicle up to $100,000. i found out yesterday that in arizona it now only covers medical for occupants.

car
white mid 90's ford taurus
arizon plate ANG7185
some front bumper damage
nothing else notable.

driver
female
mid 20's
5'1" -5'3"
~160 lbs
dark complexion
curley hair, about mid shoulder length
freckles

when she hit me she went over the bumper and into the back door/rear apron. the bus had some rust on one corner and the doors were pretty rough, but the rest of it was in really good, but ugly, condition. the impact was such that the bumper is ruined, the bumper brackets are destroyed, the sheet metal is beyond repair (this will be fun to find a donor section) & the unibody frame is bent.

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu206/stonesoupmetalworks/Econoline/Accident%203-28-11/2011-03-28152101.jpg

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu206/stonesoupmetalworks/Econoline/Accident%203-28-11/2011-03-28152033.jpg

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu206/stonesoupmetalworks/Econoline/Accident%203-28-11/2011-03-28152051.jpg

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu206/stonesoupmetalworks/Econoline/Accident%203-28-11/2011-03-28152200.jpg

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu206/stonesoupmetalworks/Econoline/Accident%203-28-11/2011-03-28152239.jpg

my back is jacked up, it's going to be a long road to recovery.

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu206/stonesoupmetalworks/Econoline/Accident%203-28-11/2011-03-28174447.jpg

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu206/stonesoupmetalworks/Econoline/Accident%203-28-11/2011-03-28174443.jpg

please keep your eyes open. i really doubt that someone with the lack of charachter that would leave the scene of an accident (with her 7mo old & 5y/o) would carry insurance... but i'm hopeful.

The Donger
03-29-2011, 08:40 AM
That sucks man, I'll keep an eye out.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

ShmUDE
03-29-2011, 08:41 AM
hope you find her and fry her ***!! I hate people that dont own up for their mistakes.

vin man
03-29-2011, 09:03 AM
Did the police run the plate?

ArizonaSunshine
03-29-2011, 09:37 AM
Sorry to hear this Doc, hope you and your ride recovery quickly.

OlneyJeeps
03-29-2011, 09:51 AM
"i found out yesterday that in arizona it now only covers medical for occupants."

Um, no (who the heck told you that?)... in AZ uninsured and underinsured cover you, occupants of your vehicle, you as occupant of other vehicle and (in most cases) you in virtually any accident with a non commercial vehicle (does not cover you on airplane, or on city bus etc). Pays pain and suffering, lost time from work, temp or perm disability.

"To the best of my knowledge" ... only agent for 15years or so

Oceannites
03-29-2011, 09:52 AM
I take it from the description that she was not HAWT? Just kidding. Hope all is well.

Punkin_Belle
03-29-2011, 10:38 AM
People like that make me sick. Good luck, Doc...

YJunk
03-29-2011, 10:55 AM
sorry to hear that Doc... nice nipple rings.

Doc in AZ
03-29-2011, 11:23 AM
"i found out yesterday that in arizona it now only covers medical for occupants."

Um, no (who the heck told you that?)... in AZ uninsured and underinsured cover you, occupants of your vehicle, you as occupant of other vehicle and (in most cases) you in virtually any accident with a non commercial vehicle (does not cover you on airplane, or on city bus etc). Pays pain and suffering, lost time from work, temp or perm disability.

"To the best of my knowledge" ... only agent for 15years or so

that is what i was saying it covers my person... it doesn't cover the damage to my vehicle like it did in california

Nick Ricci
03-29-2011, 11:25 AM

LOL sorry I know its a serious topic but this quote out of context is kinda funny...

Punkin_Belle
03-29-2011, 11:30 AM
LOL sorry I know its a serious topic but this quote out of context is kinda funny...

New signature quote, perhaps?

mingoglia
03-29-2011, 12:37 PM
that is what i was saying it covers my person... it doesn't cover the damage to my vehicle like it did in california

I think I'd clarify that with another agent, or perhaps your policy doesn't cover that. The bare AZ rules may say it's not required, but it doesn't mean you can't get a policy like that. I know for a fact that our policy covers it, or at least it did several years ago when my wife got hit.

OlneyJeeps
03-29-2011, 01:19 PM

sorry, but am thinking vehicle would be total loss at anything above $300 (that would be a stretch to prove value above $600)

my non advise: get the back fixed... chiropractors make you feel good for a bit, then you have to come back next week... good physical therapist retrains muscles ,which cannot be done by "snapping" / "adjusting"... you build / train muscles by (targeted) exercise (and yes, good pt will incorporate some "adjustment")

Per my experience (over 12 pt's, 4 chiropractors): Barrow's neurospine Rehab 602-745-2930, just sout of St Josephs... 3rd ave 2blks south of Thomas

OlneyJeeps
03-29-2011, 01:22 PM
I think I'd clarify that with another agent, or perhaps your policy doesn't cover that. The bare AZ rules may say it's not required, but it doesn't mean you can't get a policy like that. I know for a fact that our policy covers it, or at least it did several years ago when my wife got hit.

UM/UIM only covers personal injury
"Med" pay pays medical bills but (IMHO) is a total ripoff / over priced... might as well buy 2 health insurance policies
Comp / Collision covers the vehicle (subject to deductible) no matter whose fault it is

LO PHAT
03-29-2011, 02:08 PM
This sort of thing makes me sick!

I wish you all the best in your recovery, Doc.

cw50must
03-29-2011, 02:19 PM
UM property damage in CA is optional, it covers up to 3500 or acv, whichever is less. You are correct this is different than AZ. There are other states where um prop damage is available without comp/collison. Thats my fyi post of the day. :)

Doc in AZ
03-29-2011, 02:47 PM
i have had USAA for about 15 years and have insured about 30 cars & motorcycles with them in that time. i have the highest coverages & the lowest deductables and have yet to find another company that can match their prices. normally this would be covered... BUT... my bus is 50 years old. because it sold for $1700 50 years ago they take that value and depreciate it over the years. had i gone with the comp/collision coverage my net pay out would be about $5... yes FIVE. it's because of that i made sure i had the uninsured/underinsured coverage with the knowledge i gained in california when i first moved to the states. i have checked with several of the insurance agents/managers/supervisors and i got the same response across the board. i HAD that coverage in california but it was not & could not be implemented in arizona without full comp/collison coverage.

your experiences will vary, i'm sure of that, but the bottom line is that i have no recourse at this time. i highly doubt this woman actually had insurance or a valid DL and don't expect to recoup any of my losses. a friend suggested i sue her, lein her property and hold the judgement over her head and wait patiently to be compensated over the following years. this is not an option in my opinion as i would spend more on litigation than i would net in the long run. someone like this (with no insurance & license) has probably skipped the insurance payments due to lack of income & doesn't have a license due to poor driving skills.

i've got a line on a donor bus that a buddy is THINKING of parting out but no confirmation yet.

wj_brillo
03-29-2011, 03:00 PM
You can track that license plate even if the cops won't, go through the motions of the small claims court suit to keep costs down, I think max is $3500. If she doesn't have any insurance/dL, she probably doesn't have any collateral, but the nice thing about Arizona is they are strict as hell with wage garnishment, if she works, she'll pay 1/4 of her check to you for as long as the settlement lasts. I would at least look into it though Doc, it would be a nice F U and teach her not to do it again.

I can see on the news though that van of yours in a high speed pursuit of 66 miles an hour down 67th ave chasing after her. lol

JD Night Fox
03-29-2011, 03:03 PM
You can track that license plate even if the cops won't, go through the motions of the small claims court suit to keep costs down, I think max is $3500. If she doesn't have any insurance/dL, she probably doesn't have any collateral, but the nice thing about Arizona is they are strict as hell with wage garnishment, if she works, she'll pay 1/4 of her check to you for as long as the settlement lasts. I would at least look into it though Doc, it would be a nice F U and teach her not to do it again.

I can see on the news though that van of yours in a high speed pursuit of 66 miles an hour down 67th ave chasing after her. lol

I'm pretty sure the van has a bit of a lead. You know, with those old cars all having like 400+HP V8 engines. Unless Ford gave it a 4banger. lol

Besides, most of Arizona doesn't even speak English anymore.

Doc in AZ
03-29-2011, 03:11 PM

you should have seen the look on the radiology tech's face about 15 years ago when i busted my hip up real bad and they had to do a bone scan on my pelvis. they couldn't figure out what the big white spot on the scanner screen was. he asked if i had my navel pierced... um, nope, not my navel... lol...

Doc in AZ
03-29-2011, 03:15 PM

I'm pretty sure the van has a bit of a lead. You know, with those old cars all having like 400+HP V8 engines. Unless Ford gave it a 4banger. lol

Besides, most of Arizona doesn't even speak English anymore.

this little bus has a 200 I6 from a 65 falcon or mustang & is good for 120 hp @ 4000 rpm & 200 ft/lbs of torque at 2200 rpm. it has 3.50 gears in the rear axle and the old "three on the tree" has a 1:1 final drive. it cruises down the fwy at 75mph without breaking a sweat or sounding like the pistons are trying to swap cylinders and i have to pay attention or i'll be doing 85 before i know it.

JD Night Fox
03-29-2011, 03:22 PM
this little bus has a 200 I6 from a 65 falcon or mustang & is good for 120 hp @ 4000 rpm & 200 ft/lbs of torque at 2200 rpm. it has 3.50 gears in the rear axle and the old "three on the tree" has a 1:1 final drive. it cruises down the fwy at 75mph without breaking a sweat or sounding like the pistons are trying to swap cylinders and i have to pay attention or i'll be doing 85 before i know it.

Wow. I have a 3Speed auto and I'm almost at max RPM's at 75

Although I really like that I can go from 15 to 80 using the same gear.

And if you ever want a new engine in the future, you can swap out your i6 for the '65 XJ6's 4.2L DOHC slant 6. That one runs preeety good.

mingoglia
03-29-2011, 03:24 PM
i have had USAA for about 15 years and have insured about 30 cars & motorcycles with them in that time. i have the highest coverages & the lowest deductables and have yet to find another company that can match their prices. normally this would be covered... BUT... my bus is 50 years old. because it sold for $1700 50 years ago they take that value and depreciate it over the years. had i gone with the comp/collision coverage my net pay out would be about $5... yes FIVE. it's because of that i made sure i had the uninsured/underinsured coverage with the knowledge i gained in california when i first moved to the states. i have checked with several of the insurance agents/managers/supervisors and i got the same response across the board. i HAD that coverage in california but it was not & could not be implemented in arizona without full comp/collison coverage.

your experiences will vary, i'm sure of that, but the bottom line is that i have no recourse at this time. i highly doubt this woman actually had insurance or a valid DL and don't expect to recoup any of my losses. a friend suggested i sue her, lein her property and hold the judgement over her head and wait patiently to be compensated over the following years. this is not an option in my opinion as i would spend more on litigation than i would net in the long run. someone like this (with no insurance & license) has probably skipped the insurance payments due to lack of income & doesn't have a license due to poor driving skills.

i've got a line on a donor bus that a buddy is THINKING of parting out but no confirmation yet.

Oh, I was assuming you meant that you didn't get *anything*.... not that the fact that your vehicle is technically in the eyes of the insurance company "worthless". When my wife wrecked our Expedition and we were low balled we sent copies of Autotrader and other publications with used vehicles that were listed for thousands more. This worked for us and we got out of it what we wanted. If your vehicle is rare, which it is, try to find every one of them for sale that you can find and say you want replacement cost.

JD Night Fox
03-29-2011, 03:29 PM
Oh, I was assuming you meant that you didn't get *anything*.... not that the fact that your vehicle is technically in the eyes of the insurance company "worthless". When my wife wrecked our Expedition and we were low balled we sent copies of Autotrader and other publications with used vehicles that were listed for thousands more. This worked for us and we got out of it what we wanted. If your vehicle is rare, which it is, try to find every one of them for sale that you can find and say you want replacement cost.

I also keep reciepts of everything I buy for the cars. That way you give the insurance a pile of cost records and they can't tell you it's "not worth that much"

OlneyJeeps
03-29-2011, 03:42 PM

It does not matter what kind of insurance you have (even "stated value")...the most you would get paid is ACV... Actual Cash Value has nothing to do with depreciation... it is what the vehicle could / would be sold for. In the case of something that old, substantial research would have to prove how much that (or any) vehicle would (not could... there is a sucker born every day) sell for. Especially in today's market (unless there is something incredibly (and verifiable) unique / valuable.. is was John Lennon's bus), a van with no ac, little (comparable) comfort or speed would be lucky to fetch $600. It might have value to you (I value my dad's jacket and would laugh at $4000 offer for it... does not make it worth $4000), it is what you could put it on a lot and expect to get for it.

Furthermore, just because you had a coverage in a different state, the insurance company (actually a different company for Arizona... USAA of Arizona) has no liability to afford you the coverage here. You could have purchased "stated value" coverage, but you would have had to have good (possibly bonded... just because one appraiser says something is worth "$X", does not mean it is worth "$X") appraisal done. Appraisal would have to stand up in court. If you hit my Jeep ('ol blue), would you (outside of insurance) be ok paying what I said it was worth? Insurance just takes place of other person's liability, it does not add to it.

Doc in AZ
03-29-2011, 04:50 PM
i understand all of this, believe me. this is not my first accident, i've been a licensed driver for 23 years and had to make claims with my insurance company before. there is no value to this vehicle in their eyes because they did not cover it, they only covered me. i have had stated value insurance in the past and know what it takes to get, maintain & collect.

4runner
03-29-2011, 09:40 PM
hey doc, hope your ok. from a guy with a broken back get yourself some pt, the rest is just sheet metal a we know what you can do with that. she most likely had no insurance.

djui5
03-29-2011, 10:44 PM
http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu206/stonesoupmetalworks/Econoline/Accident%203-28-11/2011-03-28174447.jpg

Nipple rings=Win!

Was your back crooked before this accident? I would be shocked if a rear end collision caused that kinda curvage.

Doc in AZ
03-30-2011, 02:34 PM
just about everyone has a bit of a curve to their spine including myself. in this case, although it was a rear end collision, i was at about a 45* angle in preparation to merge. i was leaning forward and turned to my left looking out the driver's window to the side and backwards a bit. part of the curve in my spine right now is the muscles that are swollen and tight. as the swelling goes down and the physical therapy gets them back in good working order it will true up quite a bit. i'm headed back to the dr. this evening to see how i'm doing and then i'll set up an appointment with a specialist as recommended above.

Doc in AZ
03-30-2011, 02:41 PM
Wow. I have a 3Speed auto and I'm almost at max RPM's at 75

Although I really like that I can go from 15 to 80 using the same gear.

And if you ever want a new engine in the future, you can swap out your i6 for the '65 XJ6's 4.2L DOHC slant 6. That one runs preeety good.

this is an old 3 speed top-loader manual trans with column shift. i shift into 3rd gear at about 25mph and run it all the way out. when i'm merging with traffic getting on the fwy i rap it out to about 40mph in 2nd.

as for a motor swap... meh... no reason really. this 200 with a single barrel carb gets about 18mpg with an even mix of fwy and street driving. and is certainly strong enough to haul the heavy material i need.

the impact was hard enough that when it tweaked the frame it also warped the entire passenger side of the bus as well as the roof. the doors rattle real bad now and the roof sounds like an old oil can when you go over bumps.

the guy that was cutting a couple of rusty busses up and parting out the good sheet metal has a 63ish ford econoline falcon bus that is just like mine. looks like we'll be making a deal and i'll just put my running gear and interior into that one. i hate to lose this one, it's the first year they made them and has about 50k miles on it. but the other one is VERY straight and pretty much just needs some paint.

JD Night Fox
03-30-2011, 03:05 PM
this is an old 3 speed top-loader manual trans with column shift. i shift into 3rd gear at about 25mph and run it all the way out. when i'm merging with traffic getting on the fwy i rap it out to about 40mph in 2nd.

as for a motor swap... meh... no reason really. this 200 with a single barrel carb gets about 18mpg with an even mix of fwy and street driving. and is certainly strong enough to haul the heavy material i need.

the impact was hard enough that when it tweaked the frame it also warped the entire passenger side of the bus as well as the roof. the doors rattle real bad now and the roof sounds like an old oil can when you go over bumps.

the guy that was cutting a couple of rusty busses up and parting out the good sheet metal has a 63ish ford econoline falcon bus that is just like mine. looks like we'll be making a deal and i'll just put my running gear and interior into that one. i hate to lose this one, it's the first year they made them and has about 50k miles on it. but the other one is VERY straight and pretty much just needs some paint.

It's great that you found one! Now you can get all the new parts and some nice shiny paint and then off to the nearest school you go :)

djui5
03-30-2011, 10:15 PM
Good luck Doc, I hope you get well soon.

scrapiron
03-31-2011, 08:02 AM
That stinks. I hope that your recovery goes well. A little over 2 years ago I herniated my L5 S1. That was by far the worst pain that I have ever been in (yep, can't give birth to a kid). I went to a dr where they gave me some pain meds, muscle relaxers and anti-inflamatory drugs. Pain meds didn't touch the nerve pain, muscle relaxers didn't do diddly. A few days later I went to a chiropractor, he diagnosed it as bulging discs (a little later the MRI confrimed the herniated discs). He gave me stretches to do and core exercises. He also advised me to borrow an inversion table. After a month of the stretching/core work and hanging upside down like a bat, I was finally able to get up off the floor and go to work. Initially the dr was trying to talk me into surgery. When I went back later, they told me to keep up with what I was doing, and didn't send me to PT, because I was already doing what they would do.

Physical therapy is the way to go. Lots of stretch and core work. I hope it is a quick recovery.

ARZTJ
04-03-2011, 05:30 PM
I use a gizmo called The Back Revolution - they have a website. I've been hangin for years. Every time I hurt my back this will fix it. Check it out, there are pix & videos...

azgypsy
04-03-2011, 06:54 PM
RAY NORRIS!!! BEST auto att in phoenix! let him find er! then like matt said,,, go after her in court with wage garnishment or whatever!
sorry,,,,, almost forgot,,,,, HOPE YA FEEL BETTER SOON DOC!

Tortured Metal
04-03-2011, 07:36 PM
How is the back doing?

ronaldowillson
04-18-2011, 08:29 PM
Hey...Really informative thread..Thanks for sharing with us.

lancetkenyon
04-19-2011, 10:54 AM
Hey...Really informative thread..Thanks for sharing with us.

Hmmm. No Jeep, wierd first post, waiting on the spam.:drummer:

Blueberries
05-12-2011, 12:36 AM
The bare AZ rules may say it's not required, but it doesn't mean you can't get a policy like that. I know for a fact that our policy covers it, or at least it did several years ago when my wife got hit.

WoW Gold Cheap (http://www.zyy.com/)Runescape Gold (http://www.storeingame.com/gold/Runescape-gold.html)Cheap Maplestory Mesos (http://www.buymaplestory.com)

Mills
05-12-2011, 01:32 AM
i will keep an eye out.have the police run the plate .

OlneyJeeps
05-12-2011, 06:57 AM
The bare AZ rules may say it's not required, but it doesn't mean you can't get a policy like that. I know for a fact that our policy covers it, or at least it did several years ago when my wife got hit.

WoW Gold Cheap (http://www.zyy.com/)Runescape Gold (http://www.storeingame.com/gold/Runescape-gold.html)Cheap Maplestory Mesos (http://www.buymaplestory.com)

Just what we need, the government telling us what insurance we have to buy... oh, wait... extension of Obama care

At least for now, it is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to buy insurance coverage for what YOU feel you need it for and quit blaming others.