PDA

View Full Version : Aron Ralston in Tempe Wed night

k7mto
09-21-2004, 10:30 AM
Thought some folks might be interested...

Aron Ralston, the guy who had to amputate his own arm to save his life after becoming trapped by a boulder while hiking in Moab, Utah, will be talking about his ordeal and signing his book at Changing Hands bookstore in Tempe on Wednesday evening.

http://www.changinghands.com/NASApp/store/IndexJsp;jsessionid=DC9515D59433C308A10F0328841C60 66.t1?s=storeevents&eventId=280037

Qman
09-21-2004, 10:48 AM
saw that on TV last week... id have to say i would have died.. there is no way i could have cut my own arm off let alone break it....then hike back and i think didn't he have to repel down a 60 foot Cliff also ... i would have been there and some guy would have found my corpse and maybe named the canyon after me..... much Respect don't think i can make it to book signing but i just ordered his book.. anyone that can do that deserves my $26.00 contribution...

k7mto
09-21-2004, 03:12 PM
saw that on TV last week... id have to say i would have died.. there is no way i could have cut my own arm off let alone break it....then hike back and i think didn't he have to repel down a 60 foot Cliff also ... i would have been there and some guy would have found my corpse and maybe named the canyon after me..... much Respect don't think i can make it to book signing but i just ordered his book.. anyone that can do that deserves my $26.00 contribution...

Yeah, I saw that also. I think we're all capable of things we'd never imagine if we're placed in similar circumstances. He did repel 60 or so feet to get out of the canyon and did it again during the interview. He said he was going to leave his hand there, but the Park Service had other ideas. He said it took them a team of 13 and many hours to move the rock enough to get it out. He had it cremated and spread the ashes in the canyon.

On one hand, I've got alot of respect for his will to survive. On the other, he almost deserves a Darwin Award for making so many mistakes (especially given his skill and experience level) that put him into that situation.

Either way, it's great that he survived and based on his interview, the book should be a good read. Wonder if he'd like to go Jeepin' :)

jeepin_in_az
09-21-2004, 03:34 PM

On one hand, I've got alot of respect for his will to survive. On the other, he .....

Sorry, your only aloud one hand for this situation... :eek:

k7mto
09-21-2004, 04:02 PM
Sorry, your only aloud one hand for this situation... :eek:

LOL :D I also thought it was kind of ironic he'll be at the "Changing Hands" bookstore (given he was right handed until this happened) :p

jeepin_in_az
09-21-2004, 04:34 PM
LOL :D I also thought it was kind of ironic he'll be at the "Changing Hands" bookstore (given he was right handed until this happened) :p

How ironic! :D :D

arlo
11-04-2004, 03:10 PM
The song from Allonis Morisette playing in the back ground....And on the other hand....Never mind.