PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane in AZ?

jeepin_in_az
09-17-2004, 10:06 AM
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/EP13/refresh/EP1304W5+GIF/171508W5.gif

azrubyman
09-17-2004, 10:23 AM
We get the left overs every once in a while. Hopefully by the time whatever is left reaches us, we'll get some rain out of it.
I bet the local news idiots will have a big day of it. :rolleyes:
Ken

JamesT
09-17-2004, 10:24 AM
That will be great.

In Alabama they were 5" behind on rainfall for the year, before the huricane. Now they are even.
Maybe we could get our lakes filled up, our washes washed out and our water supply back to "normal".

k7mto
09-17-2004, 11:00 AM
Back in VA we used to get remnants of most of the hurricanes that hit the east coast from NE Florida to SE VA. Even after travelling over land, they were still very heavy tropical storms and can cause lots of damage.

Will be nice if it brings rain, but 38-74 mph winds kinda suck.

JamesT
09-17-2004, 11:01 AM
You think we could get a group but on plywood?

jeepin_in_az
09-17-2004, 11:22 AM
We get the left overs every once in a while. Hopefully by the time whatever is left reaches us, we'll get some rain out of it.
I bet the local news idiots will have a big day of it. :rolleyes:
Ken

I can see it now:

"AZ Hurricane 2004"

Couple years ago I think it was Channel 12 that did the big flash of "Monsoon Season 2002", and we had like 1 storm...it was really funny. They made this big deal out of 1 small storm.

1BLKJP
09-17-2004, 04:11 PM
Nice, 50 mph winds and rain to boot. Looks like the jeep is gettin washed this weekend. Wooohoooo :D

BRUZR
09-17-2004, 04:46 PM
Everything I've heard or seen about it says nothing about strong wind.

k7mto
09-17-2004, 07:02 PM
The graphic Mike posted shows it going from a Tropical Storm (S) with sustained 39-73mph winds to a Tropical Depression (D) with sustained winds of less then 39mph by the time it reaches the northern border of AZ. Safe to say that with Phoenix about midway we should see some decent winds :)

Of course, it could hit land and peter out quicker. Or decide to turn southeast and stay over Mexico. Just never know with these things.

Flexy
09-17-2004, 07:52 PM
Nice, 50 mph winds and rain to boot. Looks like the jeep is gettin washed this weekend. Wooohoooo :D

Washed???? NO!!!!! Lets go WHEEL in WASHES......:)

Joe

Chip
09-18-2004, 11:19 AM
We had the first band come through at 5am in Tucson. A lot of lightning which doesn't happen a lot at that time in the morning. About a half an inch of rain. Going to run up to the top of Mt. Lemmon and maybe down the back side to watch the storm come in. Some are saying that being on the north east side of the low as comes in it could get really wet, but no wind.

JamesT
09-18-2004, 11:32 AM
We had the first band come through at 5am in Tucson. A lot of lightning which doesn't happen a lot at that time in the morning. About a half an inch of rain. Going to run up to the top of Mt. Lemmon and maybe down the back side to watch the storm come in. Some are saying that being on the north east side of the low as comes in it could get really wet, but no wind.

COOL

I have tarped the Jeep. We need some good amounts of rain.

k7mto
09-18-2004, 01:11 PM
COOL
I have tarped the Jeep.

Heck, I'm gonna park mine outside (usually garaged) with the top off so the inside will get clean :D

JamesT
09-18-2004, 02:45 PM
They just put the UofA - Wisconsin game on a weather delay.... Anyone think it's not going to rain hard in the valley?

k7mto
09-18-2004, 03:14 PM
They just put the UofA - Wisconsin game on a weather delay.... Anyone think it's not going to rain hard in the valley?

Actually, the satellite maps show Javier has indeed turned to the east and likely won't affect us here in Phoenix. There still is another front to the west which may, but not likely any major winds.

http://weather.yahoo.com/images/southwest_sat_440x297.jpg

Chip
09-18-2004, 04:49 PM
Was about half way down the back Mt. Lemon road when I got hit pretty hard. The streams were starting to run high as I got close to Oracle. There were a lot of Mtn. Bikers on the road, didn't act if they wanted any help. I hope they understood that this storm is not supposed to quit. If they are still there I would think they could get cut off from the high water on both ends of the trail.

It doesn't look like Tucson has got a lot of rain yet, but they have on the other side of the Catalina's

JamesT
09-18-2004, 05:04 PM
Matt,

The pic that Mike posted updates itself automatically. Javier is still down South in the Pacifc, we are just getting the bands of rain from it.
As for missing us; I just got back from the freakin grocery store, between putting the groceries in and out my shirt is totaly wet. The wind here is also intense, the rain was all the way under the eves of the house, so the rain is moving horizontal.

I am thinking it will clear fairly soon, although the sky is black right now.

azdesertrhino
09-18-2004, 10:14 PM
We got real heavy rain in east Tucson for a while and then it cleared off, but I believe it is supposed to hit again and remain throughout the weekend.

BRUZR
09-18-2004, 11:12 PM
We got ripped off here in Havasu... All talk, no action. It rained and thundered and lightning-ed all around us but nothing IN Havasu. Pissed me off. :mad: