PDA

View Full Version : Car battery...

JD Night Fox
02-07-2011, 03:35 PM
I'm helping a friend of mine work on his '88 Chevy Blazer and his battery is currently ka-put. Does anyone have an old used car battery that they are willing to give away that still has some juice left in it? He doesn't have a job so he can't buy a new one unfortunately, so I'm just trying to help him out.

dieter
02-07-2011, 06:11 PM
I have one in my garage it has been there for about 10 months. It was good when I took it out and it has just been sitting up on a shelf. I checked it with a multimeter and it had about 6 volts. It is going to need a good charge and maybe some water in the cells. You are more then welcome to come take it out of my garage and see if it will work. I am in Surprise near Greenway and Acoma.

Bryan

JD Night Fox
02-07-2011, 06:28 PM
Thank you! I'll see if I can come pick it up sometime and get it working again because I've got a trickle charger around somewhere. But ANYTHING is better than what he has already... Turn the key and the guages barely even come on.

And it needs water in the cells? Like distilled?

Edit: Hmm. I just found out that's a bit far away. Ehh, I can make it over sure.

dieter
02-07-2011, 07:28 PM
Let me know when you might make it this way. I am going to sleep about 9pm. I can leave it outside of my garage or I will be home tomorrow after 330.

JD Night Fox
02-07-2011, 07:42 PM
Aah nonono I won't be coming over tonight XD I have to sleep too. I'll try tomorrow if that's okay with you.

LO PHAT
02-07-2011, 08:29 PM
And it needs water in the cells? Like distilled?

Yes ... you would want to use distilled water. Do not use tap water, and especially do not use bottled drinking water.

JD Night Fox
02-08-2011, 04:54 AM
Yes ... you would want to use distilled water. Do not use tap water, and especially do not use bottled drinking water.

So if I used Orange Juice instead of water then what would happen

AZLugz
02-08-2011, 06:05 AM
His Blazer wouldn't get a cold

OlneyJeeps
02-08-2011, 06:52 AM
So if I used Orange Juice instead of water then what would happen

Battery acid would have refreshing citrus flavor?

Important: DO NOT over fill!!! "water" (mostly sulfuric acid) should be just above top of plates! If you go any higher, when hydrogen is released (tiny bubbles) micro splashes will not have far to do for capillary effect to suck the acid out and corrode the crap out of everything around the battery

place downtown 23rd / Jefferson? has reconditioned batteries for $20

CHAOSCASE
02-08-2011, 12:00 PM
What exactly is a reconditioned battery? is that short for a cleaned up but used battery?

OlneyJeeps
02-08-2011, 04:22 PM
What exactly is a reconditioned battery? is that short for a cleaned up but used battery?

most often good used batteries (from people that turn in every year whether need to or not)
acid removed, cleaned , sealed, new acid

85LAREDOCJ7
02-08-2011, 04:28 PM
Why doesn't your pal just go down and get a battery like everybody else?

JD Night Fox
02-08-2011, 06:35 PM
He doesn't have a job so he can't buy a new one unfortunately, so I'm just trying to help him out.

Why doesn't your pal just go down and get a battery like everybody else?

@