PDA

View Full Version : Correct shock size for new axle.

catman
01-05-2011, 05:31 AM
I have an 01 xj with a 5.5" Rubicon long arm lift :) & I just changed the rear axle to an 8.8 & relocatated the shocks which are now way 2 long. How do I determine the correct size for the new shock & where can I find a Bilstein dealer?

behemothxj
01-05-2011, 09:02 AM
I have my Jeep setup at 4 inches uptravel.(Allow 4 inches of the shock shaft exposed).

CrashDawson
01-05-2011, 10:53 AM
I run the 5150s but I am also sitting higher I got them from 4wheelparts.
Came across this today for rear shocks http://store.jksmfg.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SHOCKMOUNT&Store_Code=JKS01&Category_Code=Shock
its adjustable

catman
01-06-2011, 06:06 PM
Thanks fellas for the moment I am going with a shorter shock & will build something close to the JKS mounts to accomodate a better travel.

CrashDawson
01-06-2011, 06:54 PM
Thanks fellas for the moment I am going with a shorter shock & will build something close to the JKS mounts to accomodate a better travel.

I was thinking about building my own. the price seems a little high.
Send some pictures if you make one.

catman
01-07-2011, 07:16 AM
Will do, it does look like a great idea. I am getting a set of 5150 shorter shocks today to get buy for now.

CrashDawson
01-07-2011, 07:37 AM
Will do, it does look like a great idea. I am getting a set of 5150 shorter shocks today to get buy for now.

Darn I have 5150 fronts and 5125 rears. Hoping to sell within the next few months when i can get some new ones.
I really like them they work Awsome. But I need a resivour shock.

catman
01-08-2011, 05:39 AM
Crash are you desert racing? My understanding is that the reservoir's pretty much carry extra fluid just to help cool the shocks when they are put under extreme stress conditions such as desert racing. I stay pretty much to the rock crawling which does'nt build much heat & actually I probably get more heat when I drive it on the highway.
I also ended up with a 5125 & now have a set of rear shocks that will fit a 5.5" to 7.5" lift according to Rubicon Express.

behemothxj
01-08-2011, 06:15 AM
You would be amazed of how hot the shock will get just driving 20mph down a dirt road. Drive 2 miles down a slightly bumpy dirt road, and then get out and grab the shock.

Gasman
01-08-2011, 07:07 AM
Pretty easy to make a new upper cross bar. Here's my setup. Less than $20 in material and about 30 mintues to make. The bar is welded to 1/4" plates that attach where the bumpstops are. I run 10" travel shocks with 4.5" uptravel.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l68/gasmanxj/IMG_1158.jpg

AZROCKPUNK
01-08-2011, 10:53 AM
I was thinking about doing this same setup for my axle swap when you get a chance to test it let me know how it preforms compared to stock. Was there any that I should know about this setup before hand I will probable set mine up wider to allow room for my four link.

CrashDawson
01-08-2011, 11:23 AM
Crash are you desert racing? My understanding is that the reservoir's pretty much carry extra fluid just to help cool the shocks when they are put under extreme stress conditions such as desert racing. I stay pretty much to the rock crawling which does'nt build much heat & actually I probably get more heat when I drive it on the highway.
I also ended up with a 5125 & now have a set of rear shocks that will fit a 5.5" to 7.5" lift according to Rubicon Express.

Its pretty much a hybrid can go 50 through the whoops but not to long because the shocks heat up fast or down a dirt road I have only jumped it once but I need to truss my axles before I do it again
but I also like going through the big rocks nice and slow.

catman
01-09-2011, 06:39 AM
WOW getting some great responses here. I have installed a set of 5125 Bilstiens with a 13" body for the time being & they seem to be working well, will find out today as we are going to try them out on Upper Ajax for starters.

CrashDawson
01-09-2011, 11:51 AM
What part number you go with? looks like I may have to change my shocks

BellyDoc
01-09-2011, 02:01 PM
My understanding is that the reservoir's pretty much carry extra fluid just to help cool the shocks when they are put under extreme stress conditions such as desert racing.

There's more to it.

I actually converted my emulsion coilovers to external reservoir so that I could monkey with the gas pressure. If you decrease the gas pressure in an emulsion type shock, you increase the propensity for foaming and shock fade.