PDA

View Full Version : Florida Hurricanes

Qman
09-02-2004, 03:22 PM
Ok i have lived in alot of places, visited Florida a few times not really that nice HOT, HUMID, lots a bugs and sqeeters not to mention Alligators and oh yea then the above Subject..... HURRICANES..... what the heck are these people thinking.....I kinda understand Californians, a earthquake rumbles once and a while knocks a couple buildings down and cracks the drywall in your house and buckles a few roads... but Hurricanes are every year sometimes one after another just like now... they just get through Charlie and here comes Frances and i am sure there will be a few more... you see these huge lines at HomeDepot.. why don't these people think ahead it is every year what do they do with the plywood after the hurricane.. throw it away..... the people in the midwest were smart and Built Basements and Bunkers to go in when ever there is a tornado.. but year after year i see these Floridians run for the hills, just to go back and rebuild there homes... not to forget the brilliant ones that live in Trailer parks... how can they afford Insurance there.... every year.. it blows my mind....

flxy_tj
09-02-2004, 05:29 PM
There might be bugs or it is humid but I would love to be with my family. That live there. I enjoy the lifestlye down there and the WATER. Plus you could go there and be a plywood salesman. :D

Linda
09-03-2004, 07:53 AM
People here have the same mentality when it comes to building in washes and flood plains, areas with earth cracks (caused by pumping groundwater at too fast a rate), and places where water supplies are practically non-existent.

Flexy
09-03-2004, 01:42 PM
Ok i have lived in alot of places, visited Florida a few times not really that nice HOT, HUMID, lots a bugs and sqeeters not to mention Alligators and oh yea then the above Subject..... HURRICANES..... what the heck are these people thinking.....I kinda understand Californians, a earthquake rumbles once and a while knocks a couple buildings down and cracks the drywall in your house and buckles a few roads... but Hurricanes are every year sometimes one after another just like now... they just get through Charlie and here comes Frances and i am sure there will be a few more... you see these huge lines at HomeDepot.. why don't these people think ahead it is every year what do they do with the plywood after the hurricane.. throw it away..... the people in the midwest were smart and Built Basements and Bunkers to go in when ever there is a tornado.. but year after year i see these Floridians run for the hills, just to go back and rebuild there homes... not to forget the brilliant ones that live in Trailer parks... how can they afford Insurance there.... every year.. it blows my mind....

Yup.... have been talking to my dad who lives In brunswick Ga, and has his "dinghy" ( It's actually a 72' delta yacht) docked at St Simons Island. He has been watching these 2 storms VERY closely, and everyone at the dock is quite worried about this one.... He does plan on getting the boat out of the dock and heading north as we speak. He has a digital camera and he plans on taking some pics of the storm at it comes in, so I will post them as I get them. I will be in touch with him all weekend, so if anyone has family there, I can give you the lowdown on whats going on. This one will hit Hard.....My dad usually doesnt get worried about these storms, but having been in the Navy for 20 years. he's worried about this one. That worries me.

Joe

BRUZR
09-03-2004, 01:49 PM
Yup.... have been talking to my dad who lives In brunswick Ga, and has his "dinghy" ( It's actually a 72' delta yacht) docked at St Simons Island.
Joe

I used to know someone that lived on St. Simons Island... It was about 18 yrs ago and she was the daughter of the head of FBI Training... I think Rinkovich was the last name...Beautiful girl, but I would have probably had to go through a background check in order to have gotten anywhere with her. :D

Ahhh, the memories...

Qman
09-03-2004, 02:08 PM
Best to luck to your Dad Flexy.... glad he has the experiance and hope he will be able to stay away .... sure makes our little dust storms look meaningless........ and my thought are with all those brave enough to stay and rough it out....

Flexy
09-03-2004, 11:19 PM
Yup.... have been talking to my dad who lives In brunswick Ga, and has his "dinghy" ( It's actually a 72' delta yacht) docked at St Simons Island. He has been watching these 2 storms VERY closely, and everyone at the dock is quite worried about this one.... He does plan on getting the boat out of the dock and heading north as we speak. He has a digital camera and he plans on taking some pics of the storm at it comes in, so I will post them as I get them. I will be in touch with him all weekend, so if anyone has family there, I can give you the lowdown on whats going on. This one will hit Hard.....My dad usually doesnt get worried about these storms, but having been in the Navy for 20 years. he's worried about this one. That worries me.

Joe

*****UPDATE*****

Looks like the "storm" has been downgraded to a Class 2 hurricane. Just got off the phone with dad (10:15PM Fri Night) And he has already headed North for about 6 hours ....He said hes gonna sit there and wait it out to see whats up.....Looks like the storm MAY just be wind and some rain...we can hope :D

Joe

Flexy
09-03-2004, 11:20 PM
I used to know someone that lived on St. Simons Island... It was about 18 yrs ago and she was the daughter of the head of FBI Training... I think Rinkovich was the last name...Beautiful girl, but I would have probably had to go through a background check in order to have gotten anywhere with her. :D

Ahhh, the memories...

Yup, there are some really hot women on St Simons......Not that I was Looking...... :D They tend to even look at the old guys when you are in a large boat.......:)

Joe

RickBeer
09-04-2004, 08:39 PM
I talked to my Brother who lives near Fort Lauderdale around 630 tonite while we were talking he lost power they were having another Hurricane party having fun drinking beer other than heavy rain & wind most of the heavy stuff is north of them

Flexy
09-06-2004, 06:25 PM
Well its 5:20 Pm on Monday night...Just got off the phone with my dad (sat phone on the boat) and He tells me as for St Simons island, its pretty much just rain there right now....Heavy rain. He said last night around 330 am it got about 85 mph gusts with 65-70 sustained. His original plans were to get out and up north about 200 miles, but he didnt get out of the bay before it was too bad, so he just stayed at his dock. Brunswick GA reported 18" of rain in 36 hours. All is good right now...just really wet.....

Joe

roger
09-07-2004, 03:25 PM
And now hurricane Ivan is on his way. :eek:

-Roger

Qman
09-07-2004, 09:50 PM
they said on the news that there is now over 5 billion in damages ..... how the hell do we pay for this... and if it cost 5 billion or so every couple years then why do they let people build there house in the same place it used to be.. i think there should be a law saying if you lose your house 3 times to a hurricane then you shouldn't be allowed to build it in the same place.... you know this effects all of our Insurance..... they also said i guess after Andrew 12 years ago the state started offering Insurance because most people couldn't get it after all the damages.... so they go on to say that there is over 300 million in this Insurance fund to pay for all the damamges..... subtract that from the 5 billion in damages and WE THE PEOPLE ARE paying the other 4 billion 700 million

weasel_ugs
09-08-2004, 07:51 PM
they said on the news that there is now over 5 billion in damages ..... how the hell do we pay for this... and if it cost 5 billion or so every couple years then why do they let people build there house in the same place it used to be.. i think there should be a law saying if you lose your house 3 times to a hurricane then you shouldn't be allowed to build it in the same place.... edit...
But they would all move here then! Don

blooddrive
09-09-2004, 09:06 AM
they said on the news that there is now over 5 billion in damages ..... how the hell do we pay for this... and if it cost 5 billion or so every couple years then why do they let people build there house in the same place it used to be.. i think there should be a law saying if you lose your house 3 times to a hurricane then you shouldn't be allowed to build it in the same place.... you know this effects all of our Insurance..... they also said i guess after Andrew 12 years ago the state started offering Insurance because most people couldn't get it after all the damages.... so they go on to say that there is over 300 million in this Insurance fund to pay for all the damamges..... subtract that from the 5 billion in damages and WE THE PEOPLE ARE paying the other 4 billion 700 million

They keep rebuilding because they like having a new hourse every 10 years..

sschwar4
09-09-2004, 09:29 AM
I would think that the majority of the cost would be in cleanup not construction.

blooddrive
09-09-2004, 09:53 AM
From my experience with our house fire I'd say it's probably about 20% cleanup 80% construction, but then again I could be wrong (house fires and hurricanes are very different obviously!). Materials and construction labor are expensive, and usually required more skilled labor then scooping stuff with a shovel in to the back of a trailer.1