PDA

View Full Version : Pica

DrSublime
11-22-2010, 10:46 AM
my new puppy wont stop chewing/eating rocks.
im worried he is going to have some intestinal blockage due to this, every time i find him w/ one i take and it try and give him somethign "better". but he is OBSESSED w/ rocks.

any idea's?

cnj96xj
11-22-2010, 11:11 AM
Our dog has done the same thing, we looked it up online and found the # 1 reason for this is boredom. We have gotten him lots and lots of rawhide's to chew. If we see him with a rock we take it and give him a rawhide to chew instead. Hope this helps some..

Silvacon
11-22-2010, 11:25 AM
Take the rawhide and do the same thing as you would do with the rocks.....

Rawhide is horrible to a dog, get real bones or try a rope, my dog has a great time with the rope.

DrSublime
11-22-2010, 12:29 PM
i have rawhide bones, rope toys, squeak toys etc for him.
but if i take him outside to do whatever, he will run off and grab a rock as soon as he can.. really bizzards

Silvacon
11-22-2010, 12:43 PM
Have you googled it?

There is a recommendation to see a vet as there might be some medical issues and if not what they recommend.

Again get rid of the rawhide.

DrSublime
11-22-2010, 01:00 PM
yea i googled. unfortunatly have to wait a week or two before i'll have cash to cover a vet bill otherwise he'd have been there already.

im hoping its just a puppy teething thing, but i duno

wj_brillo
11-22-2010, 01:42 PM
muzzle em outside til you figure it out, get a whole gallon of that antichew spray and get a foliar bottle, spray it on all your rocks lol.

you could pull the rocks and lay turf down? maybe the little guy just wants more grass :)

Digger
11-22-2010, 02:43 PM
If the rocks don't taste good, he should change his taste for them. Dry Mustard (the spice) is wicked tasting, sprinkle it over the rocks in your yard. Might want to try red pepper too.