PDA

View Full Version : GI Bill / Post 9-11 Version

DrSublime
09-30-2010, 11:30 AM
has anyone here put this to use yet?

i finally got a copy of my member 4 DD-214 (had the memeber 1, but need the member 4 for school) after about 5 months of waiting.

how does the GI Bill work? and is there anything i need to do to use it? or do i just let the school's admin run with my information?

any idea on what schools (west side) are good to use it with?

DanFelix
09-30-2010, 11:43 AM
Lots of info here if you haven't tried it yet.
http://www.gibill.va.gov/

DrSublime
09-30-2010, 01:33 PM
yea very good site, thank you, i know all the benefits and those sort of details ($1300 housing allowance etc)

just have no idea HOW to use it or what schools work well with it

amber.hodge
09-30-2010, 04:33 PM
Just about any school which is regionally accredited - and even some that are nationally accredited. You end up with more money in your pocket if you go community college first and then university - I had to attend about 3 briefings on it on drill weekends. Ben has to go to a reintegration briefing this weekend which will have representatives for the GI Bill - I will have him get contact numbers and some pamphlets and I will scan them as pics and add them to your thread if you would like?

DrSublime
10-01-2010, 04:27 PM
so im hearing alot of bad things via the grape vine about University of Phoenix...
any thoughts on this particular school?

i really like what they offer, as far as it fits into my schedule, but im reading alot of sketchy reviews online about academics and its making me nervous about getting a degree with UoP on it and having companies not take it seriously.

DesertFox
10-13-2010, 10:46 PM
They have had reviews like that since the beginning most of it is hearsay and propaganda because they are an online based school. Guess what almost all major universities have classes online now including ASU, because it is the future. I have heard ridiculous thing like they lost their accreditation or their credits do not transfer, and it is all lies and BS. A regional accredited school is what you want not national. Regional credits transfer anywhere and national credits require a review process. I learned that the hard way.

If I were you I would attend the GI bill class they have it at LUKE once a week. You need to register or transfer your old GI bill to the post 911 online and their are several options to choose. It is all done online for the most part. My wife started using hers since it was available. It isn't as clear cut as they would like you to think. They often forget to submit your payment for classes, or are late on your BAH. It can take up to a month to resolve problems. I have many friends out of the service who are all experiencing the same problems. The people who handle the program have made so many mistakes across the country. This is all from personal first hand experience.

txctygl
10-14-2010, 03:52 AM
I can tell you from experience about the GI Bill Post 9/11 and Chap 30 as I have used both. Currently, I go the Chandler Gilbert and the Post 9/11 Gi Bill is AWESOME!! It pays up to 1000 a year for textbooks depending on your enrollment and pays $1335 and is going up to about $1450 this month (this money is all yours as it is a non taxable veteran benefit). You have to attend a minimum of 6 hours to qualify for the BAH.

As far as University of Phoenix. Well they got caught up in some "shady" (lets just say) recruiting practices. They got a lot of people enrolled that cannot truly afford the tuition and then the student gets stuck with a gigantic debt. When I was in the military the on base college center would do everything they could to protect servicemembers and tell them to avoid University of Phoenix at all costs. Plus, if you can go to college for free, why not go to a University and experience a college campus type setting? You do not pocket any money using your Post 9/11 Gi Bill as tuition is paid directly to the campus. The Chap 30 Gi Bill was paid directly to the student, so you were able to pocket the difference (which I did).

It does take awhile get your benefits going so I highly suggest you find the college you really want now. Don't settle, its important you are happy with where you want to pursue your education. Finally, you will need your Certificate of Eligibility (which is the most important piece of paper, besides your DD214, IMO). Also, as far as delays, I suppose I have rather lucky in that department. None so far!!