PDA

View Full Version : Missing person: 48+ hours in the desert

lancetkenyon
08-12-2010, 06:38 PM
I got a call from a good friend of mine about 30 minutes ago. He is a member of this club, but does not post much because he drives a Sammi(don't hold that against him). A friend and coworker of his went missing on Tuesday, 8-10-10. The police finally took a missing persons report today after the required 48 hours. MCSO got his Onstar turned on in his truck and located it out on the west side of the White Tanks, just off Sun Valley Pkwy and approximately Indian School Rd. They are conducting a search right now, but have not found anything as of yet.

He owns a quad, but it is unknown if he took it with him on Tuesday when he went missing.

When MCSO located his truck, his cell phone was found on the seat. Not sure if that is an ominous sign, or if it was mistakenly left.

If anyone is out on the west side of the White Tanks tomorrow or this weekend, keep your eyes peeled........for a quad, a body, or vultures.

I hope he is found well, but being 48 hours already, the chances are growing slimmer by the minute.

I will keep this thread updated as soon as I hear anything.

If this should go to the Urgent forum, let me know.

Mid 40s hispanic(American citizen) male, 5'5" and "stocky". Name is Steve Brito. Quad is a 4x4 type, not a go fast type. Truck is a gold 4 door GMC 4x4. This was located by MCSO though with the help of Onstar. Now we just need to find Steve, hopefully alive and nothing worse than thirsty.

Howyadoin
08-12-2010, 06:47 PM
Pretty large area, are they using a helicopter for the search?

LJYJ
08-12-2010, 07:07 PM
Hope they find him. Kinda wierd he left his cell phone unless he didnt want anyone finding him or his wife calling him asking when he'll be home for dinner.
:)
ALot of water in those river beds below the surface since all of the rain, hopefully he knows how to get to it if needed.

AZLugz
08-12-2010, 07:12 PM
Our prayers up for the search and for him

Punkin_Belle
08-12-2010, 07:49 PM
Prayers for all involved... so scary...

blazerv10
08-12-2010, 08:36 PM
is the sammi out there too? and after 48hours this should be a urgent rescue in my mind. hope there found safe.
also what kind of qaud?

PHXYJ
08-12-2010, 08:45 PM
X2 on Urgent..

vin man
08-12-2010, 09:13 PM
Where are the white tanks?

blazerv10
08-12-2010, 09:16 PM
watson and i10

Allen
08-12-2010, 09:20 PM
Hope they find him soon! 48 hours in this heat is a long time! Call if you plan on heading out. 70 miles from me is a long way, but I'd want someone to look for me if I were out there this long!

David C
08-12-2010, 09:27 PM
I just saw this thread - no alert received. True, this is an urgent matter but as far as our informal SAR group, it should be considered just low priority. Since the authorities are now on the case, that means we can not organize a search effort. If you have the proper qualifications you may be able to report to incident command and volunteer your help. Any individual search efforts could actually interfere with the official county search at this point.

My thoughts and prayers go out for a safe return.

lancetkenyon
08-12-2010, 09:31 PM
^ This is what the MCSO said as well. They do NOT want help right now. No other word than that so far.

No, my buddy is not out there with his Sammy either. Just the single driver.

I totally forgot to put vital info though.

Mid 40s hispanic(American citizen) male, 5'5" and "stocky". Name is Steve Brito. Quad is a 4x4 type, not a go fast type. Truck is a gold 4 door GMC 4x4. This was located by MCSO though with the help of Onstar. Now we just need to find Steve, hopefully alive and nothing worse than thirsty.

djui5
08-12-2010, 10:04 PM
Godspeed

Henthorn
08-12-2010, 11:37 PM
I may end up going out tomorrow morning to the tanks---live about a mile away from this. I wish I would have recieved an alert earlier today---could have been searching.

azgypsy
08-12-2010, 11:43 PM
prayers said at this end!! hopes with a safe return!! and willing to head that way if any involvment is warrented!!

gotpower
08-13-2010, 06:02 AM
he did not show for work last night, will find out more info hopefully today...........

gotpower
08-13-2010, 08:17 AM
Sad news.......Just learned a note was found in his truck.......apparently, that info was not released so authorities could investigate......we are all stunned as Steve was a good guy, dedicated to his work and family. Organizing a search effort, to be set up near the watershed @ Sun Valley near McDowell...........

azgypsy
08-13-2010, 10:00 AM
and soooooo should we all join in?? whats up? and what can we do to help support the family of a member??

Punkin_Belle
08-13-2010, 10:20 AM
Oh wow... :-( So tragic. Prayers go out to his family...

My1stJeep
08-13-2010, 11:41 AM
When and where is the search effort starting? My jeep is down, but I will see who I can partner up with who has a Jeep and try to make it.

Our prayers are with the family.

Erich
08-13-2010, 11:44 AM
When and where is the search effort starting? My jeep is down, but I will see who I can partner up with who has a Jeep and try to make it.

Our prayers are with the family.

I am in Ohio at the moment taking care of my Mom who has terminal cancer. Chris you can use my jeep if you want. Just Pm me and I will give you my address and my brother will give you the keys if you want...
My prayers go out to the family...

My Green Jeep
08-13-2010, 11:51 AM
Let us know if anyone is going out... supposed to help wrench on a jeep tomorrow but he will understand...

DanFelix
08-13-2010, 12:28 PM
Please read previous posts quoted below:

...Since the authorities are now on the case, that means we can not organize a search effort. If you have the proper qualifications you may be able to report to incident command and volunteer your help. (with MCSO) Any individual search efforts could actually interfere with the official county search at this point.
Thanks David

^ This is what the MCSO said as well. They do NOT want help right now. No other word than that so far.
Thanks Lance.

And my thoughts and prayers :wings: go out for a safe return also.

azgypsy
08-13-2010, 12:42 PM
ive said this to lance and ill say it to you dan since your kinda watchin the sherrif reports for us,,,,, we're all standin by with prayers and willin to jump for this member and his friend!! just post the word!! dave and all the gang!

gotpower
08-13-2010, 12:45 PM
I would say no further help needed........Currently MCSO is on scene with chopper and cadaver dogs.......not allowing anyone to cover areas dogs have not been in first......

This gentlemen, was not a club member but a co-worker who was "missing" at the time I notified Lance. His truck was found West of the White Tanks, so we originally wanted to get word out to look for him thinking he was lost/injured. Unfortunately, now we are heading a different direction. He still needs to be found. Thanks to those who want to help, I would check with MCSO tho'

AJWrangler
08-13-2010, 12:46 PM
Sending our thoughts & prayers to all family & friends...
With any luck, he will be found, so you will have closure.
I'm at a loss for words...so very sorry we are having to face this issue.
Big Thanks to everyone keeping us informed as details come out.
I'm proud to be part of such a kind & caring club.

gotpower
08-13-2010, 01:42 PM
I understand search has been called off due to the heat..........My understanding it will resume at 5 p.m.

xjtdoyle
08-13-2010, 01:55 PM
Let us know if we need to help? Were are all watching this to see what the news is, and if we can do anything. Anything at all.

gotpower
08-13-2010, 02:06 PM
I am leaving work now, heading out of town.......I will not be able to post until Monday when I'll know more I'm sure........but I will update the site.

Thanks to everyones concern, thoughts and prayers.

J

lancetkenyon
08-13-2010, 03:41 PM
Jason, give ma a call if you learn anything else and I will update this thread.

Seems like this has turned from a rescue to a recovery search unfortunately. Thanks to all who have stood by waiting to jump in to help. I will let you all know if I get the word to go help look, but for now, we need to let the MCSO do what they do well. I would not be surprised if they recover Steve tonight with the dogs.

Huge condolences go out to the family members and friends with their loss.

RubiJk
08-13-2010, 04:17 PM
Sad stuff... I hope for a speedy recovery and closure to this tragedy...

gotpower
08-13-2010, 05:40 PM
Thanks Lance, will do........

My Green Jeep
08-13-2010, 06:36 PM
If there is anything we can do to help please let us know...

Our condolenesces...

David C
08-13-2010, 08:10 PM
Sad to hear this is now considered to be a recovery effort. My deepest sympathies and condolences to his family and friends.

Thanks Dan Felix for emphasizing what I posted regarding official procedures. I would like to help as much as anyone else but once the authorities are involved they are very serious about controlling the situation. 99% of the time they do not want help. The best I can do is not interfere.

sahara mist
08-13-2010, 08:21 PM
Hey guy's i work with the utility company at verrado and if needed I could get the key's to all the gates at The white tanks that are off limits to everyone. If needed I could make a phone call to D.M.B. the developer out there. So sorry to here about this. Lance let me know if I could help in anyway.

lancetkenyon
08-14-2010, 04:00 PM
No new news so far.

gotpower
08-15-2010, 10:24 PM
Hey guy's i work with the utility company at verrado and if needed I could get the key's to all the gates at The white tanks that are off limits to everyone. If needed I could make a phone call to D.M.B. the developer out there. So sorry to here about this. Lance let me know if I could help in anyway.

Thanks Sahara mist, I believe we have keys to those gates also.........I will learn more in the morning and update everyone then.......

AJWrangler
08-16-2010, 01:34 PM
GotPower (Jason),
Thanks for keeping us posted....
Many of us are ready to help look for your friend, if MCSO suspends recovery efforts. Please let us know if there is anything we can do...for you or his family. If they have set-up a bank fund in his honor, please send me the information, as I would love to help in any way I can.
In the meantime, I will continue to pray for you & your missing friend. :angel:-Jen

gotpower
08-18-2010, 08:03 AM
still no knews.......as of Monday, MCSO had turned the case over to Buckeye, I am on another business trip so I haven't heard any of the scuttlebut.

Thank You again for all your concerns!

J

lancetkenyon
08-18-2010, 08:18 AM
Still no recovery as of Monday night. Heard some other heresay, but I will not give any other info right now.

azgypsy
08-18-2010, 11:43 AM
again prayers said!

AJWrangler
08-19-2010, 01:14 PM
any news yet?

AZLugz
08-19-2010, 01:19 PM
Still praying for the family and friends, let us know.

gotpower
08-24-2010, 10:02 PM
a co-worker received a call today saying "they" had found him, wrapped in a blanket, gunshot wound to the head.

waiting for confirmation on this information, apparently at the time MCSO/buckeye had not confirmed, but I suspect this was before coroner had even gotten there.....

djui5
08-24-2010, 10:12 PM
:(

jhart
08-24-2010, 10:55 PM
Very sad. I feel bad for the family.

:(

joshj52
08-24-2010, 11:31 PM
Wow.... Very sad ending..

lancetkenyon
08-25-2010, 07:48 AM
a co-worker received a call today saying "they" had found him, wrapped in a blanket, gunshot wound to the head.

waiting for confirmation on this information, apparently at the time MCSO/buckeye had not confirmed, but I suspect this was before coroner had even gotten there.....

Who is "they"? MCSO? Buckeye PD? Family members? Random citizen? Wrapped in a blanket??? This might get interesting.

AZLugz
08-25-2010, 08:26 AM
My prayers go out for Family and Friends

jesse wright
08-25-2010, 08:41 AM
That is so sad thoughts and prayers to the family.

My1stJeep
08-25-2010, 10:19 AM
Prayers for the family and friends.

RubiJk
08-25-2010, 10:34 AM
Tragic... Thoughts and prayers to all involved...

gotpower
08-26-2010, 06:45 PM
Don't know who "they" was.........other calls were made to family to confirm......apparently it was not him but another body that had been dumped in the general area.

details are getting slimmer as most of my info is second or third hand.........was told abc15 website had a story on him tho"

keep you all posted as I hear more........

lancetkenyon
08-26-2010, 07:32 PM
Holy crap. Another body???

wj_brillo
08-26-2010, 10:07 PM
Yep we don't need border patrol...

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Tapatalk

djui5
08-26-2010, 10:40 PM
Holy crap. Another body???

I'd imagine there are a LOT out there in the desert where people normally don't go. It's possible we're competing with Vegas at this point.

gotpower
08-28-2010, 01:36 PM
Oh there are for sure serial killers amongst us that never make the news......everyday people go missing some are found, some aren't.......I'm also sure our desert is "littered"....sad, but true.

lancetkenyon
08-28-2010, 06:42 PM
Drug cartel dumping grounds.

PeoriaXK
08-30-2010, 09:46 AM
MCSO got a 911 call from a nurse last week, she was following a trailer that smelled like a dead body. When MCSO stopped the trailer and inspected they discovered a body which was most likely on it's way to the desert. Not related to the person in this thread but body dumping is more common than people think.

oppositemind
08-30-2010, 10:01 AM
that is tragic. I would like to see closure to this.

gotpower
09-13-2010, 10:17 PM
still no word, as if he vanished..............

Erich
09-13-2010, 10:26 PM
Thats 2 people that have pretty much vanished in the last year. The same thing happened to a guy in west phx, there was a thread on here a few months back. I believe he had a Samurai. Sad stuff, especially for the family..
Actually here is the link http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showthread.php?48117-Missing-Offroader...-non-member-but-please-keep-your-eyes-out.../page7&highlight=missing+sam
He was never found either. I didn't realize it was that easy to disappear anymore. Kinda creepy...
Hope both people are found.

Digger
09-14-2010, 05:38 PM
No word on the 3 guys who vanished in the Superstitions a couple months ago, either.

djui5
09-14-2010, 08:11 PM
No word on the 3 guys who vanished in the Superstitions a couple months ago, either.

Nope, or the guy from Denver who disappeared back there last Thanksgiving.

flmings
09-16-2010, 02:41 AM
I like wheeling at the white tanks but don't like all the wanna be gangbangers out there with semi auto's shooting. Sad post but just don't want to be the one to discover any missing persons.

ehall
06-26-2012, 04:11 PM
Saw this thread on google search, not a member at the time this happened. Almost 2 years and he has not been found. Family still needs some closure. Grew up in Buckeye with steve. Close friend, still kinda hard to talk about.

My Green Jeep
06-26-2012, 05:53 PM
OMG... I had forgotten about this thread... I went to school with the Brito's also.... I thought ..... well I thought they found his body but I guess I am wrong...

:*(

azgypsy
06-26-2012, 08:04 PM
not to hijack but the 3 in the supersitions were found by the AJ mounted boys a couple months ago!

jeepdude775
06-28-2012, 10:32 AM
Thats why I travel armed. Especially near the tanks...

Any word?

djui5
06-28-2012, 11:06 PM
not to hijack but the 3 in the supersitions were found by the AJ mounted boys a couple months ago!

No the three guys from Utah were found in 10' by a single person. Are you talking about someone else?