PDA

View Full Version : Diesel broke 1 of her ears. Hematoma

Digger
07-19-2010, 05:39 PM
No bone in ear, so it isn't really broken. It's got a large grape size lump , and it is where blood has accumulated, this causes her ear to bend over and look to be broken. So I took her to the Vet, and they want $924.00 to start. Kinda steep I think, and since she is not in any pain, we are going to ride it out. It will eventually go down, but won't be normal looking. Anyone else know if their Vet charges less for this surgery? My Vet just build a brand new huge office and I think this is why the cost is so high. I was thinking the surgery should be about $400.00.

Bilt4Comfort
07-19-2010, 06:17 PM
Same thing happened to a cat we have, and I think it cost us less than $200. Call around and get some quotes.

Digger
07-19-2010, 06:24 PM
Hey there Bilt! Ya think I can pass Diesel off as a cat? LOL, if I teach her to meow, it'll save me a cool $700.00!

Doc in AZ
07-19-2010, 07:10 PM
you can't really "ride it out". they will be irritated and shake their heads back and for and scratch at it and it will be a continuous downward spiral. rather than having it removed, as your vet about putting in a "drain". we had this done with one of our older dogs that we didn't want to take the risk of anesthesia with.

rockreadyyj07
07-19-2010, 07:29 PM
Call healing hearts at 602 686 2590. Jan will answer, you can tell her mike from the arizona animal welfare league gave you their number and tell her your situation. I cant guarantee the lowest price but i can guarantee a fair price and AWESOME care. I usually take my animals to her and Dr. Kit.

Digger
07-19-2010, 09:50 PM
Call healing hearts at 602 686 2590. Jan will answer, you can tell her mike from the arizona animal welfare league gave you their number and tell her your situation. I cant guarantee the lowest price but i can guarantee a fair price and AWESOME care. I usually take my animals to her and Dr. Kit.
Why thank you kindly, Mike! I'll call her tomorrow. I got busy trying to locate a new battery for the jeep this evening, need tires too. Always something, but my doggies come first. I need to find a new Vet, one that has reasonable charges. Rep points to you for all you do for animals!!

grateful
07-19-2010, 10:42 PM
Hey Nanc....bummer about Diesel....You can try my vet too if you want to get a quote..can't guarantee a good price, but can tell you about their care. My neighbor changed over to them too...Phx Dog and Cat...602-274-0561. Tell them that I referred you for a quote if you decide to call them....
smiles, karen

NVRSTUKTJ
07-20-2010, 07:30 AM
Nancy.....ever thought about getting pet insurance????.....I've been trying to get my daughter to get it for her coker.....he's always got something going on.....and most times its quite expensive......the insurance I've seen is fairly inexpensive.....

Digger
07-20-2010, 03:57 PM
This is a wrong number.

Digger
07-20-2010, 04:00 PM
Hey Nanc....bummer about Diesel....You can try my vet too if you want to get a quote..can't guarantee a good price, but can tell you about their care. My neighbor changed over to them too...Phx Dog and Cat...602-274-0561. Tell them that I referred you for a quote if you decide to call them....
smiles, karen
I'll give them a call Karen. Thanks!!

Digger
07-20-2010, 04:35 PM
Karen, I call your Vet, and after speaking with them, I made an appointment for this Friday. points for you

grateful
07-20-2010, 08:23 PM
Karen, I call your Vet, and after speaking with them, I made an appointment for this Friday. points for you

Cool...I hope it works for you. I've been with them over 25 years...not sure that they're the cheapest in town, but they have done many surgeries and such for me over the years and have done very caring and good work.
Diesel will be happier with her ear fixed. My Stickers dog had a boil or some growth on her eyelid and they reminded me how it was hurting her, unknown to me, as I wasn't planning on removing it....I did have it removed and I"m sure she's much better without it....The things that our pups just can't tell us.
smiles, karen

rockreadyyj07
07-20-2010, 09:49 PM
sorry about the wrong number. I know it worked 2 months ago for my cat :) Heres another one i found for them. 480) 772-9502

GRUNT
07-20-2010, 11:55 PM
Kinda steep I think, and since she is not in any pain, we are going to ride it out. It will eventually go down, but won't be normal looking.

Nancy, our dog had a similar issue. Her ear got to be bigger than a baseball before surgery the next morning. I am glad Karen got you set with a good vet. Our vet didn't charge half as much as you were quoted and they took a cyst out of her throat/chest.

Hugs for Diesel! Karen too! :laugh2:

joshj52
07-21-2010, 12:35 AM
This happened to my basset hound Mojo they put a drain tube in and took it out a week later and gave him antibiotics for a week. After that he was cured and eating my socks again.

AZXJ
07-21-2010, 12:43 AM
I have a care credit card for my animals. it's a credit card with a decent limit, you can use it for pets, or dental, vision and mental health services. works out pretty well for the few times I've had to take my dogs in for one thing or another.

Dave

Digger
07-21-2010, 05:46 AM
This happened to my basset hound Mojo they put a drain tube in and took it out a week later and gave him antibiotics for a week. After that he was cured and eating my socks again.
LOL... dogs, don't you just love them!!

Digger
07-21-2010, 05:57 AM
I've been lucky with the 5 dogs I have now. Rilee the Weed had a rare desease, and it proved to be costly over the 7 years she lived. People thought I was crazy for keeping her, but you would have had to have known her to realize why I loved her. She was unusual, and I still miss her very much. Probably why I have 5 now, hoping to find a simular personality.