PDA

View Full Version : Needed, Something To Sand Down Bumpers

2001tjguy
06-20-2010, 12:27 PM
ok, my bumpers and side steps have some good surface rust on them, and paint is flaking off pretty bad, as the jeep was in st louis with salt and snow. i was wondering if anyone had a sander or electric grinder i could use to get them all down to metal, and i am gonna re spray them with that do it yourself rhino liner stuff.

623 217 7524
dan

Digger
06-20-2010, 02:29 PM
I have a grinder/sander. six02 nine20 2763. main x streets E. Indian School and 44th St.

Avis
06-20-2010, 03:05 PM
Got everything you need if you want to come by some evening, live in Chandler though. 480-seven six 0-three 2 one nine

Doc in AZ
06-20-2010, 05:25 PM
i would steer clear of abrasive discs on an angle grinder for removing paint, if you aren't careful you will remove metal and leave flat spots and gouges. i normally use a wire wheel on my angle grinder to remove paint since it won't harm the metal... but with that said, BE VERY CAREFUL with a wire wheel if it catches an edge it will bounce back and get ahold of you. anything that doesn't come off with the wire wheel i would use a pneumatic angled die grinder with a soft wheel and aobut an 80 grit or finer... you will be able to control the speed much better with the air rather than with the electric grinder.

The Donger
06-20-2010, 05:37 PM
You can use a torch, and go back over everything afterwards with a DA. Only need to get it to about 5-600 degrees if it's wet paint, about 800 if it's powder.

This is exactly how I would do it, steel only. Don't overheat it.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

Doc in AZ
06-20-2010, 06:07 PM
not a bad idea, but just to clarify a bit... get the paint that hot, not the metal. mild steel has a melting point of about 2700* F but will start to get hot and turn red at much lower temps. when preheating alloys to hard weld i have seen 4" x 4" solid steel glowing at only 350* F according to my temp sticks. even though that is not the melting point you have changed the integrity of the metal by getting it that hot and it will have a tendency to bend and warp. but if you use a rosebud tip on an oxy/ace torch you should be able to burn the paint of without over heating the metal... a mapp torch might work too?