PDA

View Full Version : Transporting the dogs in the back of my truck

vin man
05-24-2010, 03:50 PM
A few months back, we got our second dog. We now have 2 greyhounds.

As you likely know, greyhounds are pretty big dogs. When we go to Strawberry on the weekends in the summer, we have always had the one dog inside the cab with the kids in back. We have a F150 SuperCrew 4 door.

Now that we have 2 dogs, we can't fit them in the back with the kids. I have a nice shell on the bed of my truck. I wanted to get the largest avaialble plastic crates and put each dog in a crate in the bed of the truck protected by the shell. However, my wife is concerned that it will still be too hot for the 2 dogs back there for the 1hour, 45 min drive.

Does anyone have a suggestion for equipment to utilize to cool off the enclosed space? Thanks.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn179/e065206/Jeep/P1020545.jpg
http://www.ridingarizona.com/forum/uploaded/vin%20man/2007122423554_PICT0002_800x531.jpg

mingoglia
05-24-2010, 04:03 PM
I don't know, anything short of an actual A/C unit sounds like it's not enough. Heck mine was warm even in the winter time on road trips with the heat coming up through the floor of the bed from the exhaust system and diff.

vin man
05-24-2010, 04:04 PM
I've heard of portable swamp coolers for use in cars. Something that would run off a cig lighter? I'd put an outlet in the bed to plug into if needed.

Fire Ball
05-24-2010, 05:02 PM
Dogs cool themselves by panting and saliva evaporating on the tongue. Without air flow or with elevated humidity, even temps in the 90's can be lethal. They would need moving air to help cool them in the desert heat. I wouldn't do that to my dogs but if you are going to, make sure they have plenty of water, stop occasionally to check on them. Maybe even splash a little water on them occasionally to help keep them cool. While parked, take the dogs out. It can get deadly in a very short amount of time. Body core temps of 105+ can cause seizures and permanent brain damage.

vin man
05-24-2010, 06:04 PM
Dogs cool themselves by panting and saliva evaporating on the tongue. Without air flow or with elevated humidity, even temps in the 90's can be lethal. They would need moving air to help cool them in the desert heat. I wouldn't do that to my dogs but if you are going to, make sure they have plenty of water, stop occasionally to check on them. Maybe even splash a little water on them occasionally to help keep them cool. While parked, take the dogs out. It can get deadly in a very short amount of time. Body core temps of 105+ can cause seizures and permanent brain damage.

Thanks for your opinion. Let me rephrase what I was hoping to get help with.

What I am looking for is a recommendation for a piece of equipment to cool the air in an enclosed space. The device needs to be portable and needs to run off the power generated by my truck.

I will not mount an external air conditioner to the shell of my truck. I want something to put inside the bed.

I can search the internet myself and find something but I was hoping to find someone here with experience with this type of equip. If you don't have a recommendation, thanks anyways. I have an alternative for safely transporting the dogs in another vehicle. However, I usually need my truck and it also serves as my tow vehicle for the Jeep.

wedicotrucker
05-24-2010, 07:16 PM
might look into the a/c unties thay use on small camping trailers.

Fire Ball
05-24-2010, 08:38 PM
How about connecting the cab and Shell. Install opening windows and a seal around the cab and shell. I've seen them but don't know where to get them. That way the cab air can cool the shell.

Tom Schenk
05-25-2010, 04:26 PM
If you have a sliding rear window on the truck and cap you can get an inflatable boot to seal the 2 together. To move the cold air from the cab to the cap I cut a piece of plexi glass to fit in the slider and affixed a small 12v fan in the middle of the plexi. The fan does a great job and the cap stays just as cool as the cab even when waiting in line at the Sonoyta border. It keeps the dogs from squirming through the slider too.

vin man
05-27-2010, 10:58 AM
If you have a sliding rear window on the truck and cap you can get an inflatable boot to seal the 2 together. To move the cold air from the cab to the cap I cut a piece of plexi glass to fit in the slider and affixed a small 12v fan in the middle of the plexi. The fan does a great job and the cap stays just as cool as the cab even when waiting in line at the Sonoyta border. It keeps the dogs from squirming through the slider too.

Thanks Tom - good suggestion. Fire Ball - I'll look for one of those seals. Probably at a place like truck assessories or quality bumper.

We are taking the minivan this weekend, so dogs will be fine inside with us.