PDA

View Full Version : "better" gas chainsaw

Robb
05-12-2010, 12:10 PM
looking for a chainsaw. something better than the cheap ones from HD or from Sears. Stihl maybe ?

16 -20 inch bar.
a good chain
starts and runs well

send me a PM with what chainsaw you have, anything to note about it and how much youre asking for it.

thank you

scrapiron
05-12-2010, 12:48 PM
I would go with a stihl or husqvarna. A bit pricey. Depending on how much you actually plan to cut with it. Can't go wrong though with either of those. Give you more rpm's and are just solid quality. I have two Stihl's but plan on keeping them. Need them for wood cutting season.

lancetkenyon
05-12-2010, 07:20 PM
I have a Stihl and I LOVE it. I also have a small Craftsman that works just fine. If you use it 2-5 times a year, an inexpensive one is fine. If you use it weekly, get a good one.

ROCRWLR
05-12-2010, 07:23 PM
Stihl is what we carry on the firetrucks and it works well except when someone decides to put non pre mix fuel in it which happens a couple times a year.:aagh:

Robb
05-12-2010, 10:55 PM
What I need it for is to clean up some brush, trim up some pine trees limbs , and then cut up some good-sized oak for firewood in a wood burning stove. Its all on less than 2 acres, but it hasnt been thinned down in probably 7 years ?

Ive already done a lot of work with a sawzall and a campsaw, and "the suck" was brought, set on the table, had my name on the package in calligraphy, and then ended up being a box inside of a box, inside of another box.. :) eff that.

Ive done a little research on chainsaws but never had to own one before...

I was all set to buy a "cost effective" Poulan, craftsman, homelite etc but then when I went on Sears/ Lowes/ HD website the saws had a ton of user feedback ratings and it was FULL of people complaining about specific issues and on all the sites, It stalled me. I hate buying stuff twice.

Ive also been considering renting one from HD for ~55$ for each 24 hour period. Then that way its their problem if the chain goes dull or it wont start anymore. :)

But I then I would also lack convenience of having one on hand if a big wind/storm came through and made a mess.

Oldgamefreak
05-13-2010, 08:59 AM
Check AZ rentals. They have Stihl and will sell older units. GREAT deal if you ask me. I left mine in KC when I moved here and then moved to a house where the backyard was a disaster area. I rented one of there saws then ended up buying it. was like 150.00 for a 350 saw.

chopped7
05-13-2010, 10:00 AM
Check AZ rentals. They have Stihl and will sell older units. GREAT deal if you ask me. I left mine in KC when I moved here and then moved to a house where the backyard was a disaster area. I rented one of there saws then ended up buying it. was like 150.00 for a 350 saw.

i left my 041 in washington when i moved here. what a kickass saw. i sold it to my wife's brother. i should have just brought it. i have a little tiny craftsman electric. it worked well for custom fitting some swamp cooler pads last year. don't know if it will cut through wood yet.

scrapiron
05-13-2010, 02:09 PM
I love the Stihls that I have. A friend also has the husqvarna and loves it. He got his off of ebay. I believe LOWES carries the husqy brand. My friend also cuts a lot of firewood each year with his. Basica maintenance will keep these saws running a long time. It doesn't take much to keep the chain sharp.

Robb
05-13-2010, 11:38 PM
I called up A to Z tool rental as recommended by Oldgamefreak and they have a weekend deal where they only charge you 48 hours for a Friday afternoon through Monday morning rental.

And its a Stihl, and the have the gas all ready and fresh chain on it, and like he had said, you can buy their used ones. (the ones they had available were 315 to 350)

I think Id still like to own one at some point but I think Im going to rent the first time and see how it goes.

thanks to all for the input !!