PDA

View Full Version : Some moron broke into my Grand Cherokee

highjeeps
04-29-2010, 05:21 PM
Well this is the first time my Jeep's been broken into. It happened Tuesday night right in my driveway in my relatively low crime neighborhood. Didn't find any valuables missing, only the center console opened up and a few of its contents out on the seat. Doors were still locked, they used my dash cover to lay over the broken window and evidently then leaned into the opening to fish around.

Since I have zero deductible glass coverage, it didn't cost me anything to get a new window installed. Cops came out and filled out a report and forensics dusted for fingerprints but found nothing.

I've increased the lighting to my driveway and started parking over farther in the driveway so it's easier to view from my front windows. Nothing happened last night.

http://inlinethumb48.webshots.com/23855/2952565330103827031S600x600Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2952565330103827031YFrvmW)

stevekim7d2
04-29-2010, 06:14 PM
Wow, that must have made some noise, odd that they would blow out a window like that in front of a house, they usually save that for apartment complexes where no one is near and no one will hear. Was it a rock, hammer? And how does the "spark plug dust" work on breaking a window? Bummer..........
Steve

The Donger
04-29-2010, 06:24 PM
Same thing happened to mine in the driveway, same window, nothing gone. Kind of messed up.

andrew.bethel
04-29-2010, 06:52 PM
damn teenagers

highjeeps
04-29-2010, 07:01 PM
I didn't find a rock inside or around the outside, so I assume it was some device the low life had with him/her. The police officer (real nice guy by the way and an off-roader himself) said they usually use a spark plug or screw driver or small hammer. I didn't hear a thing and I asked one of my neighbors if she heard or saw anything and they (her and her husband) did not.

Not sure what you mean by "spark plug dust".

Digger
04-29-2010, 07:28 PM
Could be something scared them away before they could start prying the stereo out of the dash. Doesn't seem right that they break into a vehicle and don't take anything.

LJYJ
04-29-2010, 07:46 PM
the porcelain from the spark plug works the same as a diamond on glass. If you make a scratch as an x on the window you can use just about anything " the tap of your finger" to break it.

Mike M
04-29-2010, 07:59 PM
That stinks, well if it offers any relief, just think how miserable the punk's life must be if he has to resort to breaking into cars to make a living.

highjeeps
04-29-2010, 08:49 PM
Yea, I bet he did get scared off because there are definately a few things that he could of made off with without too much effort.

Interesting about the spark plug method, I didn't know that.

I'm hoping his conscience will get the better of him and he'll come back and confess and offer to pay for damages - and if he were sincere I might even forgive him. :angel:

djui5
04-29-2010, 09:04 PM
the porcelain from the spark plug works the same as a diamond on glass. If you make a scratch as an x on the window you can use just about anything " the tap of your finger" to break it.

Also if you toss the porcelain at the window it will shatter making almost no noise.

My brother and I tried this method out in So-Cal about 18 years ago. It works, and the neighbor was pissed. :mickey:

The Donger
04-29-2010, 09:22 PM
Mine had tint so it was a little easier to clean up. But two years later, I'm still finding glass. Just make sure the glass people install the glass correctly, otherwise you end up with a broke *** regulator like me!

highjeeps
04-29-2010, 09:29 PM
As a matter of fact, the glass installer was having trouble getting all the glass pieces out of the inside of the door and there was a little bit of crunching going on while the window was going up and down. It seemed to all 'mash out' after a couple of times though.

Allen
04-29-2010, 09:39 PM
Install a camera above the driveway! Even a dummy camera will thwart some theives, but a good Wireless PC Security Camera (http://www.x10.com/promotions/xx11a_wireless_security_cameras_home_burst.html?QL ) will have the cops looking for the dudes ASAP!

don87401
04-29-2010, 10:16 PM
All it takes is a spring load punch center punch, walk right up punch the glass it shatters with almost no noise.

snksknr94
04-30-2010, 04:36 AM
Mine had tint so it was a little easier to clean up. But two years later, I'm still finding glass. Just make sure the glass people install the glass correctly, otherwise you end up with a broke *** regulator like me!

Has more to do with broken glass getting into the regulator/motor assembly than the glass being installed wrong.

azshtr
04-30-2010, 07:57 AM
Make sure you still have your garage door opener if one was in there

highjeeps
04-30-2010, 11:45 AM
I've been thinking about a security cam for sometime since I first saw them on display at Fry's. Hadn't considered the front driveway, though, just mainly inside for when I'm away and the house is possibly burglarized.

I always take my garage door opener into the house for just this reason. I always keep my TJ parked inside the garage for maximum protection as it's much more of a target for stealing than the ZJ, in my opinion, and easier to take if accessible.

azgypsy
04-30-2010, 12:20 PM
Buddy of mine has two cams pointing down to the driveway soooo from his bedroom tv he can turn it to ch 4 and watch like a monitor on his vehicles!!sorry to hear of your troubles and hope all is well!!

Locked & Loaded
04-30-2010, 08:48 PM
This is why, when I park in my driveway, I keep the windows rolled down.