PDA

View Full Version : 22 or 24" steel wheels

Doc in AZ
04-29-2010, 09:19 AM
i need a couple of old semi steel wheels to make bases for a couple pieces of equipment in the shop...

TIA

Doc in AZ
05-01-2010, 10:34 PM
btt

mingoglia
05-03-2010, 10:17 AM
Have you considered some 14-bolt drum brakes? They make excellent bases and you're more likely to find them on Jeep forums.

Doc in AZ
05-03-2010, 10:21 AM
i need one for a sander and one for a vice... so i need something HEAVY...

but, the brake drum gives me a great idea... my dad works at DRPT and i can get all the junk i want but they only have aluminum rims.. but brake drums... that will work.

mingoglia
05-03-2010, 10:24 AM
i need one for a sander and one for a vice... so i need something HEAVY...

but, the brake drum gives me a great idea... my dad works at DRPT and i can get all the junk i want but they only have aluminum rims.. but brake drums... that will work.

Yeah, the 14b brake drums are about the biggest you'll find on a light duty truck. They have to weigh like 75lbs if I were to estimate. I have a couple sitting under my welding table. I'd offer them to you but a) I need to get the hubs off them which were fighting me. b) I'm lazy so "a" is unlikely any time soon. c) You and I are a good distance apart and you're likely to find something closer.

Doc in AZ
05-03-2010, 10:28 AM
just called my dad and they have a bunch of the 10 bolt tractor and trailer brake drums in the steel bin.. i'm going to stop by in the morning on my way in...

thanks again for the idea mike

mingoglia
05-03-2010, 10:31 AM
just called my dad and they have a bunch of the 10 bolt tractor and trailer brake drums in the steel bin.. i'm going to stop by in the morning on my way in...

thanks again for the idea mike

No problem Doc.

zjfabn
05-03-2010, 10:57 AM
This made me wonder where the truckers go for used parts. I've never heard of a big truck junk yard anywhere around here. I picked up a couple large heavy steel rims from a small tire shop about 10 years back but it took a few placed before I found anything. I could use another rim too. Anyone?

Digger
05-03-2010, 04:52 PM
I have 4 steelies in my shed. FREE to anyone who wants them.

Doc in AZ
05-04-2010, 12:42 AM
This made me wonder where the truckers go for used parts. I've never heard of a big truck junk yard anywhere around here. I picked up a couple large heavy steel rims from a small tire shop about 10 years back but it took a few placed before I found anything. I could use another rim too. Anyone?

i'm gonna swing by my dad's shop tomorrow, let me know if you want a heavy brake drum... i haven't worked on semi's in about 15 years, but i think they are about 18" diameter and are really heavy

Jamieson
05-04-2010, 10:50 AM
Steel Wheels?
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h101/rudolf55/The%20Rolling%20Stones/SteelWheels_resize.jpg

biggins
05-06-2010, 04:41 PM
Hey Doc if you need simi wheels or brake drums still let me know. Get tem from work all the time