PDA

View Full Version : Here or "Second Amendmant"?

JamesT
06-26-2004, 10:41 AM
Anyway last night my family and I were going to the movie. I pulled out onto Alma School and notice the guy in the right lane was moving pretty fast, so I moved to the left lane. He slammed on his brakes when he got next to me and started screaming profainty. I was going to turn left on Elliot so I got in hte turn lane. The idiot was still besides me yelling and honking. There was about 7 cars in the left lane and no cars in the turn lane. he was trying to make sure he stayed beside me. Did I mention I was in my truck? anyway, I was he was running out of usable road space with cars approaching him and he was still looking, screaming and honking at me. He slammed on his brakes again just in time to miss the cars in front of him. Well of course we starting laughing and he saw us. He got behind us in the left hand turn lane and his passenger got out and kicked the back of the truck. His passenger proceeded up to my passenger's side window, where my older son was sitting. I hit the lock button and called 911 on the cell. He continued to yell for a while and then noticed I was on he phone. He ran back into the car and the left arrow turned green. I noticed there was a car behind him and I decided not to move the truck. He was freakin stuck. I slowly backed up closer to him, to pin him in further. He ended up scraping the right rear of my truck to get out and I followed him to get a license number. I was still on the phone to 911 operator, I repeated his license number and the operator told me to stop following him, by this time we were into Mesa. I came back to Chandler met up with an officer and told him the story.

Pepper spray, stun gun, hand gun what do you think? I would have enjoyed some pepper spray at the time, that would have been great.

I will meet up with the two guys again, in court. The police were going over to pay him a visit. If he doesn't have the correct address associated with his license, they will get him sooner or later.

Well that's how my birthday trip to the movies went last night. I hope your night was a bit better.

Joe West
06-26-2004, 03:33 PM
Hi James,

I think you did the right thing (except for following the guy, which could have escalated the situation, and perhaps laughing <grin>). Had the guy tried to encroach on the interior of the vehicle, then a well placed shot of pepper spray would have been necessary.
The 911 call was absolutely the correct thing to do. A gun would (in my opinion) have been excessive.
Stuff like this can get out of hand pretty quickly and it can ruin multiple lives if you make the wrong decision. In this case, with a couple of small exceptions, I think you did the right thing.

Kind Regards,

Joe

FourX4MudRomper
06-26-2004, 08:17 PM
I agree with Joe, pepper spray would have been awesome, funny to say the least (ashamed look...). I am a strong fan (word choice?) of people caring guns, but this would have been a bit overboard in this case. Next year I am going to Montana for school and will definitely have pepper spray in my truck (parents forced me to sell my Jeep) just in case something bad starts to happen. Pepper spray only hurts the attacker, guns can wreak havoc on bystanders on top of the attacker and pepper spray wears off, not all gun-uses do...

James

AZJeepdad
06-27-2004, 06:31 AM
Pepper Spray.

The use of deadly physical force is NOT justified unless you are to defend LIFE. Since no weapon was visible (or mentioned) a less than lethal method of defusing the situation was warranted. 911 on a cell is the smartest thing in any confrontation, being the victim (calling 911 first) goes a long way in court should it ever come to that. Driving away would have been the best solution :)

Tom

Joe West
06-27-2004, 07:12 AM
Tom,

I know in some states, a vehicle falls under the "castle" rule... if someone forcibly enters your vehicle, you are justified in acting just as if this person were entering your home. Do you know if this is the case in Arizona?

Having taught CCW... I bet you know the answer to this one.

Joe

AZJeepdad
06-27-2004, 07:48 AM
Tom,

I know in some states, a vehicle falls under the "castle" rule... if someone forcibly enters your vehicle, you are justified in acting just as if this person were entering your home. Do you know if this is the case in Arizona?

Having taught CCW... I bet you know the answer to this one.

Joe

No, vehicle is public operated on public roadways.

Even in your home (Castle) you may NOT use deadly physical force to prevent criminal trespass (although you MAY THREATEN the use of such force). Regardless of the situation and where it takes place, you may ONLY use deadly physical force (shoot someone) to protect your life or the life of another.

It is a good topic of discussion/debate since there are numerous "gray" areas within the ARS yet to be determined by the court system. I don't have deep enough pockets to become a test case, so I always look for a less than lethal solution to conflict. Dropping the hammer on someone, OR brandishing a firearm is the absolute LAST option in any situation.

Tom