PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Quote - Holy Cow..

JamesT
06-24-2004, 05:01 PM
I new Ford had sent me a paper suggesting I get a quote from them for auto insurance, for my Cobra. Well I thought I had lost the paper with their phone number and then cleaning up today I found the paper. I called them and the insurance is half of what I had been paying. Now kicking myself in the arse for not looking into this sooner, like 4 months ago.
You don't have to have a Ford to take advantage of their pricing. You can get an online quote, although I have to admit I had to repeat the information to the person on the phone later, http://www.fordvip.com or call 1-877-367-3847 ext 3078. They do insure boats and other toys also.

HTH

jeepin_in_az
06-24-2004, 09:44 PM
Ya, it might be half the price, but how good will they be IF and when you need to make a claim? Do they have an office here in AZ with some one to go out and inspect the damage to your vehicle?? Will they stand up for you in a case?

JamesT
06-24-2004, 10:12 PM
Ya, it might be half the price, but how good will they be IF and when you need to make a claim? Do they have an office here in AZ with some one to go out and inspect the damage to your vehicle?? Will they stand up for you in a case?

Heck Mikey, I can't even answer some of those questions about my current insurance company. Never had to find out. I know Ford is sending me a local contact information.

Did I mention that half the price included the deductible going down from $500 to $200 and I now have a rental car if I ever do have to use the insurance.

highjeeps
06-25-2004, 07:59 AM
Cheapest is the way to go if you just want to satisfy the requirement to have insurance, but I would go with a company that has a good reputation (in my experience anyway). I have Farmer's and have submitted several claims over the years and they've always paid off, only raising my rates after the last claim.

k7mto
06-25-2004, 08:23 AM
I've heard good things about Farmes. Who is your agent and what part of town is he/she in?

highjeeps
06-25-2004, 08:56 AM
I've heard good things about Farmes. Who is your agent and what part of town is he/she in?

My agent is Dave Maddy and he's located in Tempe at Elliot and McClintock (behind the McDonalds). Tell him Larry sent you (maybe he'll lower my rates). :)

weasel_ugs
06-25-2004, 02:11 PM
Cheapest is the way to go if you just want to satisfy the requirement to have insurance, but I would go with a company that has a good reputation (in my experience anyway). I have Farmer's and have submitted several claims over the years and they've always paid off, only raising my rates after the last claim.

Farmers told me they wouldnt insure a veh if the drivetrain has been altered,how did you get around that? Don :confused:

highjeeps
06-25-2004, 04:55 PM
Farmers told me they wouldnt insure a veh if the drivetrain has been altered,how did you get around that? Don :confused:

Never came up, as far as I remember. Wasn't an issue. I have a lifted TJ and a lifted ZJ, both with lockers and SYEs, gear reductions, big tires, etc. Now the ZJ was stock when I first got the policy on it, but the TJ had a 3" suspension, 1" body lift, and 35's when I first got it and got the policy on it.

jeep4offrd
06-26-2004, 07:37 AM
I had all my stuff insured with farmers for the past 20 years. "till I moved out here". There was never an issue about a raised jeep. I even took it down so they could take pics of it. Never had a claim. EVER. Then I got a quote here. It was triple of what I was paying. So I started shopping around. Everybody I called, was less! Than Farmers. I even complained to there headquarters. They told me. The rate increase was due to the high auto theft rate in Az. I asked them. Then why are they the most expensive company I called. After being with them all these years. Seemed pretty ****y to me. They had no explanation for such a difference between themand others. (yes I was matching apples with apples) I even started a thread on this topic here. I got a couple of recommendations from a few folks here. Of agents to call who will give me a better quote. Didnt happen. After contacting a ton of insurance companies. We finally settled on 21st Century. They were more than $100.00 less a month than Farmers, for three vehicles and the house. We've never filed a claim, had a accident, or a ticket on either of our records, in the 20 years we were with them. Do I recommend Farmers. Hell No!
Call this guy for a much better quote.
Craig Carson
602-798-7601
Tell him Bruce Stropp sent you

weasel_ugs
06-26-2004, 11:53 AM
That is very strange,Farmers wouldn't insure my bug that was lifted with bigger tires on it or my dads bug.Although my dads bug had a 455 OLDS in the back seat so I can see that but mine was still all VW.

I had another company threaten to cancel my bug when they found out is was lifted,maybe its a bug thing and I dont understand? :D Don

OlneyJeeps
06-26-2004, 12:53 PM
especially with "captive" companies (ie Farmers, Am Fam, Allstate, etc), the company is only as good as the agent. As a former Farmers agent (11years), IMHO I feel that they have gone down the toilet.
I am an independant agent now (represent several companice including Progressive,Allied,Auto Owners, Hartford, Zurich (owns Farmers), and more). For insurance info (including what they can and can't do) give me a call
Steve
602-482-2428 (my home phone)

Antman
06-26-2004, 05:01 PM

Must just be the Farmers Agent you have. Farmers has seen my TJ and I had to pay a little addendum, but they will cover the whole thing accessiores and all. And I have been with my agent for about 15 years up in Show Low and got into an accident a few years back and after 2 years one of the people tried to sue me. "ME". Talk about sweating it....... I called my agent and it was taken care by their lawyers until it was thrown out of court. I must say,
Farmers stood by me just fine.

OlneyJeeps
06-27-2004, 10:14 AM
by the book (as a former Farmer's agent, I know underwriting guidelines forwards and backwards) Farmers (and most companies) are not SUPPOSED to cover modified (suspension,engine,or steering) vehicles PERIOD.

Because the companies enforce supposibly non existant production requirements (by termination), agents are often forced to put their necks on the choping block and hope for the best, some are just greedy, and a very few know the legal way to force the company to cover such vehicles. In any case (with any company), make sure you read your policy thoroghly and if the agent is going to promise "full coverage" for accessories, make sure you have it in writing a list of what you expect to be covered (unfortunatly people love to live in ignorant bliss and complain after they are showed the paragraph which specifically excludes something they thought was covered).

General rules:
1 you get what you pay for

2 as the policy price is based on the value (NOT cost) of the vehicle (private party used value unless you have one of those imho overpriced replacement endorsements) with options when it left the factory, in most cases, that is all it coveres (yes there are some, but very few exceptions)

3: the agents (including 1-800 and internet companies) are SALESPEOPLE; IMHO/experience most are idiots or (1-800 / internet) minimum wage high school just barely grads.