PDA

View Full Version : Spring over

stevekim7d2
03-04-2010, 12:10 PM
Has anyone done a spring over on a CJ-7?
81 CJ-7 what is required to flip the springs over the axles, new shocks? Weld the mounts on top, would it need longer driveshafts, steering arm, drag link? What all will be required. I am trying to do this at no cost, I can't afford new springs and all that lift, but maybe I could afford a couple of things to make this happen for next to nothing. Also how much will it lift it? 2.5 inches? I have 31 inch tires.
Steve

ob1jeeper
03-04-2010, 01:01 PM
I've never seen a spring over that worked worth _ _ _ _ be done with next-to-nothing costs...

To be done right it requires significantly more work, and usually more $'s than a set of lift springs...

Either way, if you're trying to get that much lift it's gonna take minimally new drive shafts with CV joints.

ROCRWLR
03-04-2010, 01:37 PM
when i did my spring over on my YJ it required new spring perches, shocks, drive shafts with cv, SYE for my transfer case also did the 1" body lift and MML to help correct drive shaft angles. then you have to address the steering and there is no cheap way to do it the right way. most spring over lifts add 6 - 8" of lift. i was running 37" tires after my spring over and the springs were flat. spring over requires several hundred dollars and lots of work to do it right. there are people that have just moved the springs and not addressed the steering or drive shaft angles and will tell you a spring over can be done cheap but you will not be happy.

Dean

stevekim7d2
03-04-2010, 02:23 PM
Ok, the reason I was thinking the spring over is because I have a Samurai with spring overs and I didn't think much if anything was done to make that happen. I will just wait and check the responses, but so far it sounds like not the correct idea.
Steve

Tom Schenk
03-04-2010, 02:59 PM
When I bought my CJ it had a low cost SOA. It was fuking scary to drive and setting it up properly became a priority. Doing it right is not all that hard really. Find someone with an SOA setup you like and copy the mods over to yours.

In my opinion you would need the following minimum:
-new springs (don't reuse CJ springs)
-hoops / shocks
-CV style transfer case yoke & CV drive shaft
-Anything but the stock CJ front drive shaft
-High steer (don't even consider a drop pitman for a second)
-Anti wrap bar

Of course, none of this includes the axle mods you'll need to keep up with the larger tires you'll be running after the lift.

LJYJ
03-04-2010, 03:12 PM
When I bought my CJ it had a low cost SOA. It was fuking scary to drive and setting it up properly became a priority. Doing it right is not all that hard really. Find someone with an SOA setup you like and copy the mods over to yours.

In my opinion you would need the following minimum:
-new springs (don't reuse CJ springs)
-hoops / shocks
-CV style transfer case yoke & CV drive shaft
-Anything but the stock CJ front drive shaft
-High steer (don't even consider a drop pitman for a second)
-Anti wrap bar

Of course, none of this includes the axle mods you'll need to keep up with the larger tires you'll be running after the lift.

Also add about $200. in new bolts, U-botls, and bushings and misc steel.
with a grinder and some time you can make alot of your parts (tabs, perches and shackles.) + You will require all the tools required including jack stands.

did I mention the 200+ hours in research and changing your mind 50 times in the process!

And you might as well get some 32"+ tires. I have seen 31" baja's on a stock SOA CJ7. It looks funny. and the stock axle width makes it look like a roller skate.. LOL

BUT! In the end "I think" its worth it...

TRobertsRN
03-04-2010, 08:47 PM
SHORT STORY, DON'T DO A SPRING OVER.

REALLY DON'T DO IT IF YOU WANT TO SAVE MONEY OVER A SPRING UNDER LIFT.

ONLY HAVE A PRO DO THE SPRING OVER IF YOU WANT TO LIVE.

DON'T DO IF IF YOU NEED LESS THAN 6 INCHES OF LIFT. A SOA will give you 6 inches of lift or more. The lift will be at least the thickness of your spring pack and the thickness of your axle tubes.

OK, longer story.

I have had more Jeeps, Chevys, Fords, Landcruisers, and others with a SOA lift than I can count on all my fingers. I currently have a 53 Willys Pickup with a properly done and safe SOA.

You can't save money doing a SOA vs a SUA unless you are talking needing more than 8 inches of lift in general.

A SOA done by anyone less than an experienced pro is a death trap waiting to happen.

Don't just take my word for it, check out JP magazine online. Look for articles such as are SOA lifts dead, or something like that.

Used to be to get a lift of more than 4 inches or so and not have a ride like a rock with good articulation you had to go spring over. Not so any more, there are many good spring lifts for a CJ 7 that give great ride great articulation and are safe.

Save your money until you can afford a good SUA lift with springs. Way cheaper, way safer, better ride.

DID I SAY DON'T DO A SOA?

If you try this on your own you will run out of money and have a vehicle you can't drive.

blazerv10
03-04-2010, 09:10 PM
we did it on my sammy for 32$ for new perches and plus a 100$ for a new z bar

Easyover
03-05-2010, 08:42 AM
ONLY HAVE A PRO DO THE SPRING OVER IF YOU WANT TO LIVE.

That statement is a little drastic don't ya think? I did the SOA on my YJ back in '98 and I was far from a pro. It took a few years to dial in the spring packs, shock mounts, steering, etc, but it remained a daily driver and weekend wheeler the entire time.

Now, the YJ has a wider spring spacing than the CJ, which might mean all the difference and could be an apple to oranges comparison. YJ's just seem to be built for spring over.

stevekim7d2
03-05-2010, 08:44 AM
Thanks, I will not do the SOA, I will wait and do the normal spring way.
Thanks again, Steve

LJYJ
03-05-2010, 10:43 AM

Now, the YJ has a wider spring spacing than the CJ, which might mean all the difference and could be an apple to oranges comparison. YJ's just seem to be built for spring over.

X2.

Also CJ's spring spacing on the axle can be fixed buy moving the shackles and hangers to the outside of the frame rail and moving the perches outward as well.. Thus giving better stability, Am I rite?

Tom Schenk
03-05-2010, 12:02 PM
X2.

Also CJ's spring spacing on the axle can be fixed buy moving the shackles and hangers to the outside of the frame rail and moving the perches outward as well.. Thus giving better stability, Am I rite?

You make it sound so easy.:laugh2: But yes, that is for the most part correct.

Tom Schenk
03-05-2010, 12:06 PM
Thanks, I will not do the SOA, I will wait and do the normal spring way.
Thanks again, Steve

Take your time. There are a lot of SOA CJs in the club. Pay attention to what they have done, what works, and what doesn't. Personally, I love my SOA and the only improvement I see is to one day link it.

Semper Fi CJ-5
03-05-2010, 10:21 PM
I have an SOA. I didn't do it, I bought it that way. I have had zero problems with it. And I like it a lot. Especially the ground clearance. I can show you my set up, just pm me and we can meet up. Mine is a cj-5 but the same process is involved.

Scotsmanspride
03-06-2010, 10:36 AM
If you do the SOA then you might as well do a setup that gets rid of the u-bolts as well.

LJYJ
03-06-2010, 10:43 AM
If you do the SOA then you might as well do a setup that gets rid of the u-bolts as well.

Explain! :aagh: is there any other way with leafs?:aagh:

jr4asu
03-07-2010, 09:28 AM

Yeah how do you not use u bolts? Other than linking and losing the springs.

ob1jeeper
03-07-2010, 09:44 AM
Explain! :aagh: is there any other way with leafs?:aagh:Yes... Can be done with plates formed to clamp onto the axle and the springs using standard bolts...

OR...
Flip the bolts so that the nuts face up, leaving less exposed to drag on the rocks...

OR...etc..., etc...

There are MANY ways to attach an axle to leaf springs, depending on how much work you wish to put into making it work like you want it to.

1976_CJ
03-07-2010, 08:52 PM
Has anyone done a spring over on a CJ-7?
81 CJ-7 what is required to flip the springs over the axles, new shocks? Weld the mounts on top, would it need longer driveshafts, steering arm, drag link? What all will be required. I am trying to do this at no cost, I can't afford new springs and all that lift, but maybe I could afford a couple of things to make this happen for next to nothing. Also how much will it lift it? 2.5 inches? I have 31 inch tires.
Steve

I did it on my CJ.

5" of lift.

Costs about $1000 to do it right, and if you are not going to do it right, don't do it at all. Actually probably less than $1k, but no less than $500. I did more than just a SOA when I did mine, frenched hangers, etc.