PDA

View Full Version : Dirt Bikes..

Fire Ball
02-14-2010, 07:42 PM
Who has 2 thumbs and is gonna need some riding buddies on the east side...

This guy :2thumbsup:

I'm picking up my CRF 450R on Tuesday. Can't wait to go out and break something, like a leg or my neck :D

I can't believe the wife signed off on it. It's been a few years since I have been on a dirt bike but after riding my brother in laws 250R.... I was hooked again..

vin man
02-14-2010, 08:39 PM
I'll give you a shout next time I head out. My buddy and I do a lot of riding out at Box Canyon this time of year. We both ride CRF250X.

Ridingarizona is a good site as well.

terron gregg
02-14-2010, 08:49 PM
bill i also ride a crf 450 and also ride out at box florence right now its setup for the dunes but a lot of single track riding and if you havnt rode in awhile id get used to that 450 lot more power than the 250

Fire Ball
02-15-2010, 08:33 AM
Yeah, I was surprised to ride a thumper after a long time of 2 cycles. Quite surprised at the response, almost like riding an old 2 stroke.

I think the learning curve will be a little steep at first but I'm excited to get off the street and back on the dirt.

I raced 125's, 250's and a couple 490's back in the "old days"... I think this bike will be a hand full. Not sure if I want to set it up for too much trail riding, I still have that go fast gene and I live a couple miles from et moto park. Do they have an old timer class :D

Problem is I have the old creaky bones to remind me I need to be careful and I don't bounce like I used to :(

vin man
02-15-2010, 08:47 AM
Terron is right - that 450 is a lot of bike. Sounds like you are an experience rider and know what you are doing.

I've been riding for a number of years and my 250 has more than enough power for me. Lots of torque on the CRF bikes. I'm more of a trail rider, so the speed thing isn't an issue for me.

Fire Ball
02-15-2010, 09:17 AM
After I road a crf250 for a while I was thinking this has more than enough power. Then a couple times pulling hard out of corners, I realized it is a little small for a fat *** like me.

I'm sure the first couple rides will be white knuckle :D

Looking forward to getting out. Looks like Sunday we are going to Florance area for a shake down run ..

terron gregg
02-15-2010, 10:39 AM
biil yeah for us bigger guys you are right the 250 four stroke lacks a little in the gut . you will like the bike no doubt about it. florence is fun a lot of technical riding out there. ive noticed its easier in the jeep than on the bike

Fire Ball
02-15-2010, 02:39 PM
Probably gonna just run around on desert trails, not the rocky roads. My brother in law is pretty new at this and I want him to get the feel of the bike before scaring him :)

Fire Ball
02-16-2010, 09:57 PM
Picked up my bike today.. got to ride it a little bit...

I'm gonna die :D

Can't wait to get out and see what she's got... :)

ShmUDE
02-16-2010, 10:11 PM
I'm gonna die :D

duh. I was going to say youre going to kill yourself on 2 wheels, but i just assumed that was known.

RubiJk
02-16-2010, 10:14 PM
If you die, please leave your avatar to me in your will!

terron gregg
02-16-2010, 11:48 PM
bill is it all stock ? any mods?? fist big buy id suggest are the hand guards that tie into your handlebars here is a link if you get hand guards get the metal ones that tie into the bars not the plastic. they cost more but will with stand the abuse
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401534&page=3

Fire Ball
02-17-2010, 07:53 AM
I used to run hand guards on my enduro bikes. Not sure if I'm gonna put them on this one or not.

For me the first priority is get some time on it and dial in the ride. After that I usually change the bars since I have wide shoulders and stock bars are always a little cramped for me.

I have to finish up a cabinet for a guy then I'm heading out to Desert Wells to ride around for about an hour, just to get the feel of it before I try anything.... well stupid :D

Ty: I've been riding bikes since I was about 6 years old. I've never been afraid till I started driving on the us60 in rush hour traffic. Now that is down right frightening.

Fire Ball
02-18-2010, 07:32 PM
OK we are going out this weekend. East side. What are your favorite places. More into racing around than sight seeing. I don't feel like tooling down a rocky road.

Any little tracks set up anywhere???

Thinking Sycamore or the coves... maybe out near the flag poleat FJ??

Anyone??

terron gregg
02-18-2010, 08:14 PM
theres some good riding at syc

Fire Ball
02-19-2010, 03:04 PM
Took her out for a quick test ride at FJ. too many Chollas :D

Man the suspension beat me up a bit but other than that I'm really happy. It's a very quick bike. Just thinking about turning will get a response. The steering damper needs to be tightened up a little. More than enough power but the gear shift lever is a little crouded for my monster feet.

She flys pretty good, landings are a little firm for my taste.... I'll get her dialed in though..

terron gregg
02-19-2010, 09:48 PM
sunline makes oversized shift levers /brake worth the $$