PDA

View Full Version : Need info on air compressors

azdesertrhino
05-17-2004, 07:52 PM
Hi all,
Need some input. I'm looking for a air compressor and need some input on size. It would mainly be for around the house. May run a nailer or in the future an air ratchet or stuff like that. I see some out there (2 H.P. 120# working pressure, 6 gallon tank) that are fairly inexpensive. Would this be big enough for what I'm talking about?

ALSO, plasma cutter to be delivered tomorrow (OH, YEA! :D ) and I need to supply "shop air" but it takes a minimal amount.

TIA,

flxy_tj
05-18-2004, 12:08 AM
Dont get airless they are LOUD I hate mine. Actully I stole parts off it for my onboard air. I just use to 30 gallon tank and run my york it works better then the crafstman one I had. thinking about mounting my extra york to the top of the tank and using the electric motor to turn it !!!!!!
Home depot has some good deals I want to get the 60 gallon dual stage from them made by husky. Also Harbor freight has compressors Campbell Hausefield (or something) name brand.... Pretty good prices.
Good luck. :D

Griswold
05-18-2004, 04:52 AM
A 2HP, 6 gallon will work for a nailer but don't expect it to operate a ratchet or grinder. I suspect it may not keep up with the cutter either. I have the husky that was mentioned and it does really well. it runs a lot when I am grinding but has no problem keeping up.

azdesertrhino
05-19-2004, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the input, That idea about the York and a 30 gallon tank is interesting. I have put OBA on the CJ-5 but never thought of hooking it up to a large external tank. Will have to check into that.

Thanks,