PDA

View Full Version : HT antenna recommendations?

urbex
01-04-2010, 08:48 PM
Recently picked up a Yaesu VX-3R HT, and unfortunetly, I'm not able to key up the Shaw Butte repeater from the house (even standing outside). From what I've been reading online, the antennas on these things are mediocre at best, and given a better antenna, the radios themselves work real nice.

Any recommendations for an HT antenna, preferably dual band, that works well here? I know I can search Google, and eham, and all those places, but I'd also like to hear from local people (just as different tires work better in different situations, I know different radio equipment performs differently in various areas).

Oh, and I know that the repeater is hittable from here on HT power, as my old converted King VHF can key it up, as well as my previous Kenwood HT, although those two had five watt capability, whereas this one peaks at three, but those two were also on factory supplied antennas. I'm hoping that given a better antenna, I'd be able to make up the difference.

AZG23
01-04-2010, 08:58 PM
is it an SMA or BNC connector..?

I use the Diamond SRH77CA on my Yaesu VX7...also try a tiger tail (build one real cheap) they help a ton..and you can probably try that tonight..

Search tiger tail counterpoise...should be 19.5 inches long if I recall..been awhile since I made one.

AZG23
01-04-2010, 08:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULynXY1Gq5g

corwyyn
01-04-2010, 09:50 PM
I've got a Pryme RD-9 (7" antenna) on my Icom HT that seemed to work fine the few times I have used the HT, and I think Randy KC0NNT has one of the RD-98 models on his little HT - that one is 17" long but only 1/16" in diameter so it is very flexible. I think something along those lines or maybe one of the Larsen Kulduckee series would work good (although the Larsens are a bit more pricey). And as Brad mentioned a tiger-tail can also help with performance and would be a simple solution.

K7VZ
01-05-2010, 09:06 AM
Pryme - that one is 17" long but only 1/16" in diameter so it is very flexible.

I bought one of these from HRO. I think it's about 12"-14" long and it is super flexible. Performance is good. It was around $30.

jhart
01-05-2010, 09:57 AM
I bought one of these from HRO. I think it's about 12"-14" long and it is super flexible. Performance is good. It was around $30.

I have this antenna also. It works much better than any stock rubber duck antenna. I am at 59th and Bell, and can use the Shaw Butte repeater with only 0.5 Watts, inside the house.

urbex
01-05-2010, 03:04 PM
Oh heh...yeah, it's SMA. Forgot that key detail, although I figured it wouldn't be a big deal to use a SMA-BMC adapter if I had to.

I'm also at 59th ave/Bell, and can't key up Shaw Butte on 2m. ISTR there being a 70cm repeater up there as well, although I can't remember the freq to try that. If I'm feeling better tomorrow, I may take a trip over to HRO to see what I can pick up.

AZG23
01-05-2010, 03:18 PM
449.525 is probably what you are thinking of...did you try the tigertail..?

urbex
01-05-2010, 07:23 PM
449.525 is probably what you are thinking of...did you try the tigertail..?

I just did, and while it seemed to make an ever so slight difference, it certainly was nothing to write home about. Still not able to key up the repeater, even on high power with external DC. It seemed to make a larger difference in my shortwave reception ability though - I no longer feel like a twisted circus freak trying to tune in WWV on 2500 anymore :D Seems like it makes much difference on RX, with virtually no difference on TX.