PDA

View Full Version : pets and breakups

slickrrr
12-18-2009, 09:31 PM
who gets the dogs after a split, she dumped me, i have a good job offer in Fl, both want the 2 labs, i take em out to tons of places wheelin, swimming, playing fetch, she always feeds em, takes em to the vet, she rarely gets them out of our small yard, they are very close to each other so splitting them isnt an option

slickrrr
12-18-2009, 09:34 PM
guess it isnt our small yard anymore but hers

blazerv10
12-18-2009, 10:20 PM
thats tough they are kids after all!

Stomper
12-18-2009, 10:34 PM
Tough decision. Were you together when you got them or did one of you have them originally??

RokNRich
12-18-2009, 11:32 PM
Best interest of the "kids"

Whoever doesn't fail the urine, hair follicle, mental evaluation.

Doc in AZ
12-19-2009, 07:00 AM
when my ex wife left, she just walked out. left me with 3 cats, a chihuahua, a schnauzer and great dane. i got the house, both cars and a tortoise. she was a vet tech with a soft heart that brought things home to "foster". now most couples fight about the assets and pets. it was a lot more than i could handle.. i kept them all except the great dane - he was a new addition and kept eating the furniture (and i don't mean chewing it up i mean EATING it). the reason i kept them all is there were like a little family of their own and splitting anyone of them up from the "heard" would have messed up the cat / dog eco system.

they were all my ex wife's pets, she did all the vet stuff, all the feedings and had a better repore with them... i was pretty much lost and to this day am still calling here (we're still good friends, just couldn't be married anymore) to figure out what's wrong with them and where to take them. i'm not even a "dog guy" but they all grew on me... can't imagine coming home without being greeted by ankle biters.

i guess the bottom line would be this... despite what your previous rolls were with the animals... who will have the most time to dedicate to them? who will be working crazy hours and leave them home a lot? who does a lot of traveling (or will be) that will leave them in a pet hotel or at a friends? you can always find a new vet, and hopefull you guys will still be able to communicate to find out what's best for the pets as far as feeding schedules, annual check ups and shots.

best of luck.

Digger
12-19-2009, 07:25 AM
IMO, she performs the typical maintainance for the dogs, where as you enjoy the company of the dogs, and want to spend quality time with them.
Keep in mind though, that (if Fl meant Florida) moving to a new state might be to much of a disruption for both you and dogs to be able to pick up on a new heathy routine. Maybe for you to move, get settled and see if you really like your new surrounds, then send for the dogs......

AZLugz
12-19-2009, 07:38 AM
She Dumped you??? Sorry, don't care about the oter crap, you take the dogs, stat over and enjoy!!!

Fire Ball
12-19-2009, 07:43 AM
Who's dogs were they in the first place.

Personally if we split up, she could have EVERYTHING except the dogs.

slickrrr
12-19-2009, 09:18 AM
been togeher 14 years, we picked them out as pups together, this is our first real fight and first split and I dont see it working out, she doesnt even want to try, the thought of loosing the dogs is the only thing that seems to have her upset about this, i never saw this coming, she dropped it on me sun night after the viking card game, and doesnt want to make any effort, the dogs are all i want out the house, appearantly the same for her

slickrrr
12-19-2009, 09:21 AM
already have a house set up in FL with a backyard and roomates who are dog lovers, I am going back to my home town so its not like i dont know anyone or what it is like, been away from family way to long, love it out here but FL will always be home, worst part is, I hate mud and that is all there is in the FL

GOTMTNS
12-19-2009, 09:40 AM
Sorry to hear all this Rick, when you planning on leaving?

joedokes28
12-19-2009, 11:57 AM
You need to borrow a shovel?

slickrrr
12-19-2009, 02:44 PM
I have two shovels, thanks for the offer, after everything that has gone down I still dont want to be a dick about the dogs but I cant justify leaving them or taking them from her and I have a clear conscience about what has gone down, now she is want ing to split them up, the older one will be fine on her own, the younger one needs a buddy which she will have were i am going, i still dont like it and she the x is gone till the 27th, atleast we are still able to talk about it but its a sore subject

slickrrr
12-19-2009, 02:44 PM
looking at leaving mid feb

Fire Ball
12-19-2009, 04:21 PM
Hmm since you are not married, and no papers are filed... as an owner you have the right to relinquish ownership. I would be happy "own" the dogs. When you sort it all out, I'll be tired of them and "sell" them back to you.

I've owned a lot of nice trucks and motorcycles for a month or 2 over the years due to buddies' divorces and bankruptcies :D

Allen
12-19-2009, 09:28 PM
Dont be shy! TAKE the dogs and GO! After 14 years you diserve more than ****!

slickrrr
12-22-2009, 09:32 AM
dogs are still the only thing not in agreement

Allen
12-22-2009, 10:53 AM
and why do you need an agreement? There is no statute on pets, so I say get possession. The court will probably not demand they be relocated after you have them in your new place!

slickrrr
12-23-2009, 01:00 AM
as pathetic as it sounds I still dont want to be a prick, go ahead and bash

Fire Ball
12-23-2009, 06:04 AM
Prick or not, my dogs are my kids and NO ONE would take them from me.

Offer to help out still stands...if they happen to run away because of the bad home environment, let me know where... when I find them, I'll return them.. after she is gone of course :)

TonkaTruckJK
12-23-2009, 06:44 AM
Hey Bill - lemme know if that avatar runs away, same offer stands...except for the "I'll return them" part. :aagh: DAMN!

Prick or not, my dogs are my kids and NO ONE would take them from me.

Offer to help out still stands...if they happen to run away because of the bad home environment, let me know where... when I find them, I'll return them.. after she is gone of course :)

CallesCafe
01-02-2010, 08:36 PM
I spent the summer is Fort Lauderdale and my life changed. I wasnt able to offroad, quad, hike, shoot, camp, etc anymore. Thank goodness my folks kept my 3 yo Weimaraner while I was there partying, because I couldnt imagine her being stuck in a house/apt the whole time. Not too many dog friendly places to utilize on a daily basis, especially for big dogs.

And remember, its not only a lifestyle change for you with the move, but the pups also. Really think about their well being and happiness. We can adjust a lot quicker than they can.

You may be in different surroundings, but for me it wouldnt have worked out.

Also, remember dogs are very suseptible to heartworm in FL, so ensure theyre treated before bringing them.