PDA

View Full Version : RIP Grandpa

Jdemonto
11-23-2009, 11:34 PM
Sorry if this is hard to follow, I copied this from my Facebook. I wanted pure thoughts and not a recap of how I felt today. I could not have ever found a better mentor than my grandpa. He was there when my dad was not, not that my dad was not around much because he was! He had the time for me to really learn what working on projects really was all about I guess.

I have to say my Grandpa taught me a lot about working with my hands. I only wish I could do what he did......

Unfortunitly a brain tumor was discovered 8 months ago and he slowly fell apart from there. Its hard when you live out of state but I tried to visit as much as possible since. He was 83 and lived a long life, he wanted to live to 100 and I am sure he could have but a tumor stopped all of that. We will never know what caused it. I am sure building Airline jets in the early days did not help. It was a long 8 months for him, life can be long and can be short.

Certainly live each day to the fullest as we never know when our number is up. I am happy that my Daughters got to meet the man that helped me be who I am today. My dad is a clone of my grandfather, he helped too!

I had the opportunity to take lots of pics worth the kids and hope they remember him although I am afraid Tabitha will not since she is so young. it was a worthless day for me could not focus at all. I even cried on the way home after talking to my dad and grandmother....they seemed fine.

He is in a better place now. A place of no pain and suffering any more. I rarely write from the heart always an ulterior motive I guess! My step mom called to talk to me about what I wrote and will share with the whole family. I guess I did not intend for this to happen but its the truth and how I really feel. My wife is upset, I made a smug comment but I was just trying to cheer her up. My grandpa was like a grandpa to her too I guess,I just did not think of it that way.

JeepTJ98
11-24-2009, 12:14 AM
Jason, May he rest in peace. Sorry for your loss.

musicbis
11-24-2009, 12:15 AM
I'm sorry to hear of your loss Jason.

I had a relationship like that with my dad's brother, he taught me a lot of what I used to be who I am today. Cherish and honor his memory with who you continue to be.

Chris

Joe West
11-24-2009, 04:35 AM
Sorry Jason... loosing family you are close to hurts.

Jdemonto
11-24-2009, 08:10 AM
Thanks guys, its been hard when you live a good distance away, but since I moved here 15 years ago the visits are just less and less frequent due to having a family. Like I said before, the last couple of years we tried making more visits knowing they are getting up there in age. I showed a picture to my little daughter Tabitha hoping she would remember him since it was just a few months ago.....but she didn't and I guess I should just understand since a 4yr old likely has a short term memory.

Jason

Antman
11-24-2009, 09:00 AM
Thanks guys, its been hard when you live a good distance away, but since I moved here 15 years ago the visits are just less and less frequent due to having a family. Like I said before, the last couple of years we tried making more visits knowing they are getting up there in age. I showed a picture to my little daughter Tabitha hoping she would remember him since it was just a few months ago.....but she didn't and I guess I should just understand since a 4yr old likely has a short term memory.

Jason

God Bless him Jason! I was raised around the "old folks" and it
had a big influence on my life.
You daughter doesn't have short term memory, just a short time to remember so far.
As she gets older, you can tell her about him and how he influenced your life.

Jdemonto
11-24-2009, 09:44 AM
God Bless him Jason! I was raised around the "old folks" and it
had a big influence on my life.
You daughter doesn't have short term memory, just a short time to remember so far.
As she gets older, you can tell her about him and how he influenced your life.

Thanks Bill, I thought showing pictures with her and him together would help but she looked and said he looks old and walked away! So I decided it just was not time. I am glad we took many photos of my daughters and grand parents together since I knew this day wold come eventually.

Jason

ob1jeeper
11-24-2009, 10:41 AM
Sorry for your loss Jason... My grand parents are long ago gone to thier rest, but I do indeed have fond memories of each of them... G-Parents most certianly can (and it seems in our cases anyway...did...) help shape who we became.

Jdemonto
11-24-2009, 10:49 AM
Sorry for your loss Jason... My grand parents are long ago gone to thier rest, but I do indeed have fond memories of each of them... G-Parents most certianly can (and it seems in our cases anyway...did...) help shape who we became.

Thanks Steve, My kids do have my wifes Grandpa still which he lives local. I can't help to think it will not be the same for them as we do not live as close as me and my grand parents did. I remember in the summers we would ride our bikes over there for lunch. We lived in a safer and different place though...I would not likely let my kids ride a miles down the street on their bikes, too many bad things can happen here where I live.

Maybe today's parents are too protective?

Jason

ob1jeeper
11-24-2009, 10:52 AM
I remember in the summers we would ride our bikes over there for lunch. We lived in a safer and different place though...I would not likely let my kids ride a miles down the street on their bikes, too many bad things can happen here where I live.

Maybe today's parents are too protective?
Jason

NO... Today's more crowded world is SIGNIFICANTLY more dangerous a place than it was. Sorry state of affairs, but the facts are that it will only continue to become less safe, for each successive generation...:(

Jdemonto
11-24-2009, 11:14 AM
NO... Today's more crowded world is SIGNIFICANTLY more dangerous a place than it was. Sorry state of affairs, but the facts are that it will only continue to become less safe, for each successive generation...:(

Thats why I need to move to a safer Arizona:)

Jason

k7mto
11-24-2009, 02:53 PM
Sorry for your loss, Jason. I never knew any of my grandparents, so count your blessings that you had many wonderful years with him.

dragon_bear
11-24-2009, 03:04 PM
sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my grandfather befor I went to Iraq for the 2nd time. Keep every thought and memory in your heart. You did the right thing and visited him as much as you could befor he left us. Not all of us had the chance. Believe me and like some of the others have said, your daughter will remember him for a long time especilly if he ment so much to you and your wife. My the gods smile down on him and your family becouse we know he is in alot better place with the ones he has loved and missed for a while. He will smile down on you.

Jdemonto
11-24-2009, 04:33 PM
Sorry for your loss, Jason. I never knew any of my grandparents, so count your blessings that you had many wonderful years with him.

sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my grandfather befor I went to Iraq for the 2nd time. Keep every thought and memory in your heart. You did the right thing and visited him as much as you could befor he left us. Not all of us had the chance. Believe me and like some of the others have said, your daughter will remember him for a long time especilly if he ment so much to you and your wife. My the gods smile down on him and your family becouse we know he is in alot better place with the ones he has loved and missed for a while. He will smile down on you.

Thank You guys I was truly blessed to have been able to spend so much time with him as a child and a young adult. My Grandma and step mom called me when they read my FB page and were very surprised and pleased about what I wrote. Like I said it was from the heart.

Jason

Hivemind
11-24-2009, 04:41 PM
I think it is quite likely that Tabitha may bee able to access those memories later in Life, keep showing her pictures and keep him in your own thoughts as well. Sorry for your loss...

wedicotrucker
11-24-2009, 08:31 PM
Sorry for your loss Jason. I lost my grandpa when I was 13, lost my step grand dad erlier this year. I have not seen my step grand dad sence I was 3 and have not talked with him sence I was 7??? But I still remember him. Only thing that made it so hard was having all ready lost 2 of my up most best friends, and my 8 year old god son at the start of the year.

Its stange that some times its the little things you remeber more than the big things. I'm sure your 4yo all though may not rember now, may remeber him when she gets older. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

Sedona Jeep School
11-25-2009, 08:22 AM
So sorry for your loss. It is wonderful that you have such fond memories of him--sounds like he led a good life! :)

jesse wright
11-25-2009, 10:05 AM
Hey jason i understand were you coming from i was raised by my gpa and gma and when i lost him it was very hard but i found away to keep him on memories. I went from a jeep cherokee to a wagoneer this is what my gpa first taught me how to wheel but dont get me wrong i miss him everyday

grateful
11-25-2009, 09:22 PM
Jason, I'm late posting, but know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this tough time. I'm thankful that you had and cherished your grandpa; grandparents are special family.
Take care, karen

AZLugz
11-25-2009, 10:27 PM
I am also late in saying, but have been praying for you and the family.

Jdemonto
11-25-2009, 11:15 PM
I am also late in saying, but have been praying for you and the family.

Thanks Bill,Nena and the gang

Jason

PHXYJ
11-26-2009, 05:52 PM
I too am late in posting, but sorry for your loss man. Its tough losing family. I lost two uncles and an aunt last September, Its a horrible feeling. I was not nearly as close to them as you say you were with your grandfather, so I can not begin to imagine the how much more it hurts.

Phoenix