PDA

View Full Version : Rolls Area Trail Maintenance Request

ROCKFAN
03-23-2004, 12:44 PM
This is forwarded in from the Dust Devils - we participated in the DCB Extreme Triathalon (along with the local XTerra club) in the Rolls a few weekends ago. Mike Wixom posted this to the VJC Yahoo board, I am relaying it here for those who are not partaking of both means of contact...

---------------------------------------------------

Everyone, below is a request from the Forest Service, through DCB Adventures (The triathlon event organizers) to assist them in area maintenance at the Rolls area and close off unauthorized trails.

Can someone please forward this to ASA and maybe the other internet groups (AZVJC, etc.).

Thank you.
G. C-ROK

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 7:17 AM
To: Gavel, Greg; 'Brian Hauser'; 'Gen Garan'; Dan Ryan; Gary Kuttel; Bill Sander****; Peter Siciliano; Annette; Brent & Sheena Ruegamer; Dave R Johnson; Edwin Longwell; Heather Johnson; Ivana Skladana; Jennifer Satterlee; Kristi Johnson; Laura Nagy; Lbernstein@Cox. Net; Mark A. Gill; Mike Dendinger; Mike Skokic; Penelope L Capriola; Sarah Colone; Scott Nelson; Scott Nelson; Shannon Crane; Sid Boyett; Stephanie; Steven Vander Linden
Cc: dabray@fs.fed.us
Subject: Trail Maintenance opportunity and request

Hi there everyone...

We run a little race out at the Tonto National Forest that utilizes the "rolls" area just north of Butcher Jones Cove...

The Forest Service has asked for a little help in the off highway vehicle area. It seems that there are many vehicles that have created these illegal roads that need fencing and some added deterrents to remove the vehicular access.

I have planned 2 outings with Ranger Daniel Bray from the Forest Service to help accommodate this request.

The Location:
Butcher Jones Cove
Saguaro Lake

The Dates:
Sunday, March 28th @ 7:00am
Saturday, April 17th @ 7:00am

We should be able to complete the project on March 28th, and follow-up (and possibly redo this project if necessary) on April 17th.

DCB Extreme Adventures will provide water, refreshments and some food...

Please RSVP as soon as you can. It would be helpful if there were some of the 4X4 folks to help with winching and pulling boulders onto the trail.

IF you know of anyone looking for a little community service, or trail maintenance time, please forward this on...

Thank you
David Benjes
DCB Extreme Adventures, Inc.

www.dcbadventures.com

david@dcbadventures.com

Sandee McCullen
03-25-2004, 12:26 AM
This "help" weekend has not been verified by the Mesa Ranger District..... I have spoken with the Tonto Recreation Manager, the OHV Coordinator and the Mesa Ranger Dist.

They do want to do a "restoration" at the Rolls but Phyllis (Mesa Ranger) knows nothing of this "group" nor the dates as posted.

Please hold back on this issue until more facts are produced.

Something to "think" about.............. do we want to be part of "CLOSING TRAILS" without any kind of discussion, mitigation, or agreement regarding trails? You all know land agencies will simply use the excuse of "too much use" or "alleged trail fragmentation" as a reason to close any/everything. They want to close a hill climb at the Rolls because they "don't want the Rolls to become another Lower Sycamore". DUH............ giving the recreationists something to "answer their challenge" isn't going to destroy anything. The Tonto Recreation Manager did tell me today.......... "I won't rule out allowing 'hill climbs'......... "I understand your point (needing some of every challenge).

I will be out of town tomorrow but will contact Mesa Ranger District on Friday and see if I can arrange a "round table meeting/partnership" where "users and agency" can sit at the table and discuss the issues BEFORE closures. Even if they are legitimate closures we should be involved in the loop.

Sandee

Sandee McCullen
03-26-2004, 04:52 PM
Mesa Ranger District is planning on going out to the Rolls and "closing" some of the "wildcat trails" BUT talking to them about not communicating or notifying the OHV groups of these plans they are now doing a change in thoughts about this issue.

I don't know who this DCB Extreme Adventure group is but the Mesa Ranger District claim they "know nothing about them"?????????

MRD claim there is one "hill climb" that is new and needs to be closed. My issue was:.......... "OK if need be for a good reason but not just "BECAUSE". Originally I was told "NO HILL CLIMBS ALLOWED..... Don't want the Rolls to become another Sycamore"!!!! What a bunch of BS. As it looks like right now I believe this Rolls project is on hold and there is to be a "Friends of Sycamore" group formed (SEE MY LATEST INFO POST REGARDING THIS) and I think the Rolls issues will fall into this.

I'll know more next week regarding this issue. Sandee

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi there everyone...

We run a little race out at the Tonto National Forest that utilizes the "rolls" area just north of Butcher Jones Cove...

The Forest Service has asked for a little help in the off highway vehicle area. It seems that there are many vehicles that have created these illegal roads that need fencing and some added deterrents to remove the vehicular access.

I have planned 2 outings with Ranger Daniel Bray from the Forest Service to help accommodate this request.

The Location:
Butcher Jones Cove
Saguaro Lake

The Dates:
Sunday, March 28th @ 7:00am
Saturday, April 17th @ 7:00am

We should be able to complete the project on March 28th, and follow-up (and possibly redo this project if necessary) on April 17th.

DCB Extreme Adventures will provide water, refreshments and some food...

Please RSVP as soon as you can. It would be helpful if there were some of the 4X4 folks to help with winching and pulling boulders onto the trail.

IF you know of anyone looking for a little community service, or trail maintenance time, please forward this on...

Thank you
David Benjes
DCB Extreme Adventures, Inc.

www.dcbadventures.com

david@dcbadventures.com