PDA

View Full Version : Beware Cox users

Pnx Jay
03-12-2004, 08:25 PM
A warning and a question. In the last few days I have been hit with a barage of fake emails from "COX tech support" supposedly warning me of a virus threat and if I open the attatchment they will help me right out. Yeah right. It also had some goofy confirmation code at the bottom. I think its the 'Beagle' virus. Cox's site claims they are filtering it out, but I got like 5 today and at least 20 earlier in the week. Have any of you other Cox users been getting this?

Jay

Nnote
03-12-2004, 08:52 PM
Everyone is gonna get this SAME virus, customized. It WILL adapt the name of the service you use and tell you that there is a problem with your account and to open the zip file with the password provided. Just to let you know, only IDIOTS will fall for ANOTHER virus trickery.
Nick
(no patience for blatent stupidity)

John DeRuiter
03-13-2004, 06:09 AM
Got an email the other day supposedly from Paypal saying that there had been some suspicious attempts to access my account and that they had put a limit on the account because of it. The email went on to instruct me to go to their website to reactivate the full account. The website address looked exactly like the Paypal address, but I was suspicious and forwarded the email to Paypal for verification. Paypal emailed me back and said that they had not sent the email and that the website was bogus and would have required me to enter my personal information. Scary, huh! This thing really looked real.

azdesertrhino
03-13-2004, 07:58 AM
I use both PayPal and Cox and have been lucky so far. No scam E-mails about those services. Just your general, run of the mill SPAM.