PDA

View Full Version : Klr 650

azshtr
08-23-2009, 07:11 PM
I just ran the back road to Crown King on my new Kawasaki KLR 650. It is way harder on two wheels than four. We did it faster than with my Jeep but it kicked my tush!

Had a blast!

Erich
08-23-2009, 09:16 PM
I just ran the back road to Crown King on my new Kawasaki KLR 650. It is way harder on two wheels than one. We did it faster than with my Jeep but it kicked my tush!

Had a blast!
What did you used to ride a unicycle up CK? Your the man .
JK
I used to have a klx650, loved that bike....

azshtr
08-24-2009, 07:15 AM
A little typo there, I was tired.

Erich
08-24-2009, 04:21 PM
A little typo there, I was tired.

Yea, I was just bustin your balls..lol

ROKCRLR
08-24-2009, 04:46 PM
It's funny that you did that. Mike and I were wondering how bad it would've been on a bike. So how does the KLR do on the freeway?

azshtr
08-24-2009, 05:57 PM
The KLR will go way faster than I will. I had it up to 85 and quickly backed it down to a reasonable speed. My friend had his at 95... that's nutty. I think I am going to drop a tooth on the front to lower the gearing a touch. I'm not doing interstate high speed stuff.

ROKCRLR
08-24-2009, 06:08 PM
The KLR will go way faster than I will. I had it up to 85 and quickly backed it down to a reasonable speed. My friend had his at 95... that's nutty. I think I am going to drop a tooth on the front to lower the gearing a touch. I'm not doing interstate high speed stuff.

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking about getting one. I was wondering if it cruises comfortably at freeway speeds. My FJ1200 has no trouble cruising on the freeway, but it definitely won't make the back way to Crown King, lol.

azshtr
08-25-2009, 09:30 AM
At 80 to 85 it gets buffeted by the winds a bit. Not bad, but enough that I am more comfortable at 70 to 75. It will do 75 very comfortably. But then again I am even more comfortable on the back roads at 60:) Freeways and big vehicles make me nervous.

They are on sale till the end of the month... $4599.00

urbex
08-25-2009, 02:26 PM
I can tell you from experience, DO NOT get a 250 if you plan on doing any more than a few minutes on the freeway.....I rode my XR250R from Detroit to Phoenix a few years back, and that nearly ruined the desire to ride for quite some time (wrecked that bike about three years ago, and just now am thinking about picking up another, lol). Between my 180lb body, and approx 100-150lbs of gear, 65mph was asking an awful lot of that bike. I could just barely squeek out 70 unloaded on flat ground. It was an awesome around town commuter, and trail bike though...very easy to flick around.

I had talked to some other people about stepping up to the 650 for more freeway power, but many of them said that if I was intending on doing anything beyond flat dirt roads, the 650 is a lot of bike to throw around, and doesn't work well with trail running.

RokNRich
08-25-2009, 02:41 PM
I can tell you from experience, DO NOT get a 250 if you plan on doing any more than a few minutes on the freeway.....I rode my XR250R from Detroit to Phoenix a few years back, and that nearly ruined the desire to ride for quite some time .

I've got an XL350R and it's fine (or used to be when I rode it) for a couple of hours at a time on the hiway/freeway.......I couldn't imagine taking it on a cross country trip though.......:skull:

Erich
08-25-2009, 02:46 PM
I can tell you from experience, DO NOT get a 250 if you plan on doing any more than a few minutes on the freeway.....I rode my XR250R from Detroit to Phoenix a few years back, and that nearly ruined the desire to ride for quite some time (wrecked that bike about three years ago, and just now am thinking about picking up another, lol). Between my 180lb body, and approx 100-150lbs of gear, 65mph was asking an awful lot of that bike. I could just barely squeek out 70 unloaded on flat ground. It was an awesome around town commuter, and trail bike though...very easy to flick around.

I had talked to some other people about stepping up to the 650 for more freeway power, but many of them said that if I was intending on doing anything beyond flat dirt roads, the 650 is a lot of bike to throw around, and doesn't work well with trail running.

I had my KLX650 (basically a klr650 but kick-start only, heres a link that describes the main differances http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25377 ) at ET jumping doubles and throwing it into corners then would drive it home to Gilbert on the 60 and run 70-80 no problem. I am only about 175 so the 650 was a little bit harder than say a 250 or even 450 but still very doable if you know how to ride.
Loved that bike and miss it every day since I sold it..lol

azshtr
08-25-2009, 10:51 PM
The KLR will haul me and a big load of gear with no power problems. It is an issue however when it comes to less than good technique and making up for it with muscle. I am sore from Sundays ride.