PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Graphics Card

Tantalizer
07-11-2009, 02:17 AM
I currently have a VERY outdated card that came with my computer, and looking to upgrade.

I currently have:
GeForce4 MX 440
Fill Rate:1.1 Billion Texels/Sec
Triangles per Second:34 Million
Memory Bandwidth:6.4GB/Sec
Maximum Memory:64MB

Now, I'm not made of money, but am interested to see if there's anything out there. Maybe a GeForce 8 or 9 Series..??

LJYJ
07-11-2009, 08:25 AM
Fry's. They had a good deal on them last week. check the sundays new's paper tomorrow. I'm sure they will have somthing. Problem is if you upgade your video you have to add more memory. I think it was ultamate Electronics who has a laptop which will do pretty well for less then the full price to upgrade yours. pretty sure I saw it in there for @ $275.

ademster
07-11-2009, 09:06 AM
I have some better then what you have cards.

not super gaming ones, but... free

Tantalizer
07-11-2009, 03:24 PM
I have some better then what you have cards.

not super gaming ones, but... free

???Yeah?? Tell me more.... :)

ademster
07-11-2009, 03:25 PM
I will go through what I have and get back to you.

Tantalizer
07-11-2009, 03:39 PM
See, this is where I turn into a 'girl' and wind up having to go to the computer guys and see what I can get with what I have....

HP Pavilion..... AMD Athalon Proc 1.00 GHz w/640 MB Ram and run WinXP 2002 but have done the updates for it.

:aagh:Damnit... this is why I want a whole new computer!!! I have a kick *** monitor (got that for myself for mothers day last year), but need the rest to make it a great system.

Soon enough my pretty's..... soon enough.......

ademster
07-11-2009, 03:41 PM
you can pickup really nice hps for under 800 from sams club, costco, walmart.

luvitdurty
07-11-2009, 04:30 PM
or do like i did.. and buy it and put it together yourself for around $250 i have 4 240gb sata drives.. dvdr+ with gforce 8series Graph card.. 4 slots for ram.. only using one currently at 2gb among ALOT of other upgrades.. i watched the sunday papers and found the ads over a 3month period... and built my comp.. running xp with the upgrades and it runs AWESOME.. i watch hd movies.. play games.. play xbox thru the comp.. and have NO ISSUES.. NO LAG.. etc

Tantalizer
07-11-2009, 06:32 PM
or do like i did.. and buy it and put it together yourself for around $250 i have 4 240gb sata drives.. dvdr+ with gforce 8series Graph card.. 4 slots for ram.. only using one currently at 2gb among ALOT of other upgrades.. i watched the sunday papers and found the ads over a 3month period... and built my comp.. running xp with the upgrades and it runs AWESOME.. i watch hd movies.. play games.. play xbox thru the comp.. and have NO ISSUES.. NO LAG.. etc

Good idea! I've thought about doing similar with mine so I can run a graphics card I want with no lag, that's where I'm not sure if what I'm running currently can handle an 8 series card. I have a few more slots in the comp that I can run more memory, but I'm not sure if I need it. I know my way around a computer and online, but when it comes to building it, I'm a little lost, but willing to learn.

djui5
07-11-2009, 08:17 PM
HP Pavilion..... AMD Athalon Proc 1.00 GHz w/640 MB Ram and run WinXP 2002 but have done the updates for it.

I'd save up and just get a new computer. If all you need is the tower you can find a good one for $400 or so. Get a dual core processor, or quad core. I just picked up a quad core Gateway with all kinda computing power, 4GB ram, etc for $500 or so at Best Buy. Upgrading that thing you have is like putting 39's on a prius.

Allen
07-11-2009, 09:47 PM
If you know how to upgrade your own stuff you just need to hit up www.pricegrabber.com and search for it cheap! If you dont know how to upgrade what you got some of us here (including myself) can sort it out for you and recomend a GPU and ram to power up that old rig!

My current specs.

MSI 790FXGD70 - AMD Socket AM3 motherboard
AMD Black Edition Phenom II X4 955 / 3.2 GHz processor (oc to 3.65 GHz.)
2 Sapphire Radeon HD4870 Crossfire Video Cards
Corsair Dominator 6GB PC3-15000 1866MHz DDR3 DIMM Triple Channel Memory Kit
4 SATA 500GB WD hard drives
4 USB 500GB WD Notebook Drives
...and a bunch of other crap I forgot

David C
07-12-2009, 12:01 AM
A 64MB GeForce4 MX 440? I think that was optimized for the new, cutting-edge graphics of Tetris! You may have a collector's item there! :D Just kidding you a bit - I believe you can still upgrade a bit and squeeze a little more performance out of your machine without spending much to do it.

Take a ride over to Bookman's Bookstore on Country Club just north of Southern in Mesa, on the west side of the street between the .99 Cents Store and Gold's Gym. They're a book/music/DVD/software exchange where you can sell, trade or buy used media. They also have a nice selection of older used computer hardware components like processors, RAM, motherboards, networking devices, hard drives and quite a few video cards as well as video game consoles and games and various other electronics like digital cams, ipods, etc. The prices are great and they have a decent return policy if something doesn't work. They do test the parts and I've bought many items there without any problems. If you go down there, take some of your old books, DVDs, music CDs, Nintendo/Playstation games or PC software, etc. to see what you can get in trade value. It's a great store!

I'll try to explain a little what you could do to improve your machine - I hope I'm not about to explain stuff you already know, please forgive me if I'm underestimating your knowledge.

For your system, if you have open RAM memory slots, you might as well fill them which could speed things up immediately. It can't ever hurt to add more RAM. Look at the type of RAM in there already - I'm guessing possibly DDR2100 or 2700 (it's speed), a 512MB stick + a 128MB (it's capacity/size)? Slight chance it could be PC133 (speed). Look at the little white sticker on each RAM module/'stick' to determine the speed and match that for any additional.

Now, about the video card... first, see what Ademster has. He just might have something that'll work. You'll want to find at least a 128MB or 256MB video card to see an improvement (yours is 64MB). That's how much video RAM memory it has built into it which determines its performance. It's very possible you can upgrade just the video card to get the better performance you want. To find a compatible one, you need to match the type of socket it fits into on the motherboard. You most likely have an AGP video card but slight chance it could be a PCI card. A motherboard always has multiple PCI slots (which are white) for adding a modem or network card, sound card or PCI video card or USB ports, etc. There would only be one AGP slot on any motherboard, larger than a PCI slot, brown or orange in color with a little (usually green) locking tab on one end. An AGP slot is only for a video card and is a better connection. So, I'm guessing again, that you should look for a 128MB or 256MB AGP video card. Good brands are Nividia (GeForce) and ATI (Radeon).

You will need to download the most current drivers for the card you get from its manufacturers support site. You also need to get the most current DirectX drivers from Microsoft. I think that's DirectX 9.0c. And updating to these most current video drivers is something you can check on now for your existing card.

Ok, I've gone on long enough. Hope this helps and I didn't just insult your intelligence on the matter. Good luck - older computers can still be useful.:)

Tantalizer
07-12-2009, 12:48 AM
Thanks David, I can get in there and look to see what I have, then see what Ademster has too.

Thanks all of you for your suggestions and support!!! Keep em coming. :)

Tirith
07-15-2009, 09:35 AM
If you are still looking, check here:

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showthread.php?t=37655

I may be willing to part with it for a song. :)

If your PC does not have PCI-e, I may be able to scrounge up an AGP card that is better than an MX440.

ademster
07-15-2009, 10:04 AM
I have found a few but old un worthy ones, I need to reach the other box with the newer stuff... be patient with me.

The Donger
07-16-2009, 12:04 AM
I have a nice PCI Nvidia card I got for free, I can't use it. I think it's a gaming card. I'll check tomorrow.

MadCarlisle
07-16-2009, 08:04 AM
I have a bunch of stuff laying around including graphics cards and sticks of memory and even sound cards.

If you can be more specific on the model of your computer; for example HP Pavilion 6400.

It will help us to determine what type of expansion your computer can handle.

Papa Mo
07-25-2009, 08:15 AM
check out ebay also just bought this yesterday for $25 Diamond ATI Radeon 9250 128mb DDR APG Video Card

Tantalizer
07-25-2009, 01:32 PM
If you can be more specific on the model of your computer; for example HP Pavilion 6400.

It will help us to determine what type of expansion your computer can handle.

Pavilion 8860 is what it says on the back of my computer.

David C
07-25-2009, 05:55 PM
Pavilion 8860 is what it says on the back of my computer.

Then here's the specs on your machine:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph06301&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=uk&lang=en&product=59404

RAM Memory: Max you can have is 512 MB (2 x 256 MB DIMM), SDRAM, 133MHz.
You have an AGP video interface.

MadCarlisle
07-25-2009, 09:14 PM
How is your computer running for you?

What do you want it be capable of handling.

We can upgrade the graphics card up to a 256 mg card without a lot of cost to you. (less than $30) Possibly to a 512 but to be honest, depending upon what your going to use it for, it may not work. We can try though.

I live up by Metro Center if you want me to look at it let me know. I am off all week on vacation.

Mark

Allen
07-25-2009, 10:38 PM
I have a ATI Radeon 9800 PRO 256mb i could sell u.... $50

Tantalizer
07-26-2009, 12:20 AM
How is your computer running for you?

What do you want it be capable of handling.

We can upgrade the graphics card up to a 256 mg card without a lot of cost to you. (less than $30) Possibly to a 512 but to be honest, depending upon what your going to use it for, it may not work. We can try though.

My computer runs ko... loud but ok, slow at times. I've done a defrag already to see if that would help....

I pretty much web surf, my daughter plays games, I have photography (non professional) I play with, and I wouldn't mind playing some games on here myself, or watching movies off Netflix if I wanted to. My monitor is HDMI capable (HP w2207h), and large enough for me to watch videos if I want. I'm not into big time gaming, but some of my kiddo's games she can't play because my computer isn't capable. :)

MadCarlisle
07-26-2009, 08:15 PM
We might not be able to do anything about the sound.

We can put in a video card depending upon the system.

As for games, the new card should handle most games.

The only question will be is the system fast enough.

Let me know what you want to do.

PM me if you want to discuss further.

Mark

weasel_ugs
07-26-2009, 08:44 PM
I think with the specs of your computer just upgrading the video card wont get you much since the computer wont be able to do much more,especially with what games are needing now.
With windows you need as much ram as possible,I think anything under 1gb of ram and the computer lags. Don

MadCarlisle
07-26-2009, 08:56 PM
I think with the specs of your computer just upgrading the video card wont get you much since the computer wont be able to do much more,especially with what games are needing now.
With windows you need as much ram as possible,I think anything under 1gb of ram and the computer lags. Don

your absolutely right - which is why I suggested to discuss via PM's.

most basic kids games are probably ok but if she wants WOW, then forget it.

for basic internet and email the system works.

Depending upon what photo processing is desired, the system may or may not work.

Overall, the system is a 9 year old platform - which is a dinosaur by todays standards. The power supply is limited. The RAM is maxed. The processor speed is slow.

If a new system is desired, we could build an adequate system but then it comes to cost. I was at Fry's a couple of days ago, and saw them selling low end towers for less than $250. Granted they had Vista on them but you can hardly build a basic system that cheap.

Mark

Mobius
10-16-2009, 11:45 PM
If you are still looking, check here:

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showthread.php?t=37655

I may be willing to part with it for a song. :)

If your PC does not have PCI-e, I may be able to scrounge up an AGP card that is better than an MX440.

Hers absolutely will not have PCI-E. It didn't exist when that computer was made. That virtually eliminates any graphics card made in the last two years. You're newest bet will probably be a 7XXX series nVidia card. You need to find out though if you have PCI or AGP. Hopefully you have AGP.

But like alot of others have said, if you don't mind saving for a bit (don't know your financial situation of course) You could build or have one of us build you a new tower for $300-$500.

I just built a really nice one for my parents that cost them about $500. It outperforms the uber gaming machine I built for myself 4.5 years ago. And that one was about $2.5K...

Tantalizer
10-16-2009, 11:54 PM
yeah, I think it's about time I just started saving up for it. I need a new computer period. When I do have the $$, then I will probably knock on one of many doors here to build it for me.

Tantalizer
02-19-2010, 09:17 AM
Hi There Again....
I can't remember who I met on the trail while doing the 101 class.... we talkedfor a while.... Yellow jeep???

Anyway, I've been hit by a virus that is blocking everything. I can't open my own Mcafee system, control panel or anyting... wanted to know if you might be able to help...... Thanks.

David C
02-19-2010, 10:38 AM
Shut down the computer then try to start up in 'Safe Mode'. It should start Windows with only the basic drivers, not allowing any other programs such as the virus components to start automatically. From there, you can either try to run your anti-virus program or run the 'System Restore' function if using XP to go back to a point before the virus hit. Links below for more info.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/boot_failsafe.mspx

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ss/safemodexp.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084