PDA

View Full Version : Finally did it....bought a Harley

ArizonaXJ
06-30-2009, 05:27 PM
Short and to the point......
Wife finally got me to buy a Harley........
Much more financially sound and fun then a Jeep....I hate to say that but it's true.
If we put a couple of hundred dollars of stuff on it, when we get home at the end of the day/trip.....we don't have 500.00 worth of damage!!!

Well, now you know where we've been and what we've been doing.....

blazerv10
06-30-2009, 06:10 PM
yeh but you cant run cd or conda on your harley.lol just kidding jim im jealous.

k7mto
06-30-2009, 06:45 PM
Very cool. We play lots of Harley/biker venues and events. Maybe we'll see you at one of them soon.

Ride safe!

ArizonaXJ
07-02-2009, 08:19 AM
yeh but you cant run cd or conda on your harley.lol just kidding jim im jealous.

No Charlie we can't. But like I said, $200.00 worth of accessories still looks good a month later.....
Another thing though; we were getting bored of going and running the same old trails over and over again......we both talked about doing more exploration type stuff. Well, Suzanne and I do it on a bike now......

Very cool. We play lots of Harley/biker venues and events. Maybe we'll see you at one of them soon.

Ride safe!

Possibly. Thursday nights are bike night at West Gate. Have you been over here yet? This Thursday, tonight that is, is the last one for the summer.....hopefully the rain holds off because I'm sure this will be a big night.
You guys ever play at San Tan Flats? I want to take a ride out to the east side on the bike and thought about checking that place out.

GRUNT
07-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Looks good. Harley has a couple bikes that are lower price ranges now. I saw commercials for, was it, the 868 and another called "the black?" The black or blacked out one had the commecial with the lady doing gymnast doing tricks on it. It was pretty awesome with all the flat paint.

Anyway, they both looked coll and were cheap compared to the others.

ShmUDE
07-02-2009, 10:00 AM
wear your gear (HELMET INCLUDED!)

az is a dangerous place for bikers. I hung up my gear a few years ago and as much as i loved riding, i didn't want to end my life early (but i rode those dangerous crotch rockets).

edit: here is my old old bike. (only pic i could find) last one was a duc 748 and i still have a supermoto that is just sitting in my storage
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/shmude/TeamAZ217.jpg
http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/35/l_ec29e2894295b541a5974d1bd170faa5.jpg

Joe West
07-02-2009, 10:54 AM
Nice Bike!

I don't see any helmets in the pictures... I sure hope you and your wife wear one when you ride.

I had someone make a left hand turn in front of me in the 80s and landed on my helmet at high speed... no helmet; no Joe West.

I know it isn't "cool" to wear a helmet and I don't see many Harley riders wearing them... in my mind, not wearing a helmet is an act of pure stupidity.

That being said... I'm definitely against government mandates to force people to wear helmets... it isn't the government's job to legislate safety.

Joe

SavageSun4x4
07-02-2009, 11:13 AM
I MISS my Harley and in fact NEVER thought the day would come in my life I would NOT own a Harley...but some things cannot be changed and my body does not allow me to ride any more.

It took nearly 4 years and a LOT of Doctors visits and opinions before I gave up the ghost and sold it...I cried as the guy rode away on it.

'94 FXDWG S&S heads & carb, custom paint, 80 spoke chrome wheels, Python exhaust, cammed, strong and reliable...

Remember to keep BOTH tires 'tween' the lines and down.

luvitdurty
07-02-2009, 11:19 AM
You guys ever play at San Tan Flats? I want to take a ride out to the east side on the bike and thought about checking that place out.

San Tan FLats are usually for crotch rockets.. thats ALOT of twists n turns... cruisers usually dont take that run cause its to much lean and pull and struggle unless u go realllll slow.. as a rider (when they arent stealing mine) i have ran that ALOT.. and it takes alot outta you but isnt recomended for the cruisers...

But nice bike :) and please please please.. wear yur gear,... ive watched toooo many ppl die at 5mph accidents cause they didnt and they hit thier heads.

k7mto
07-02-2009, 01:32 PM
Possibly. Thursday nights are bike night at West Gate. Have you been over here yet? This Thursday, tonight that is, is the last one for the summer.....hopefully the rain holds off because I'm sure this will be a big night.

We're talking with the folks who book at Westgate about some future events (tell them you want 74th Street ;) )
San Tan Flats is pretty much country music only afaik, but it can't hurt to ask.

We're at Jakes-o-Mine next Fri/Sat and we're playing with Jimmie Van Zant in Tempe 7/25. We're also doing the Buddy Stubbs Halloween Party on 10/31. Another event we're playing that attracts lots of bikers is the Standin' on the Corner Festival in Winslow 9/25-26 with Mogollon, Hotel California, etc. Lots of other shows in between.

Check our schedule and if you make it to any of them, be sure to find me and I'll buy you a beer!

http://www.74thstband.com/shows.html

Current schedule with more in the pipeline...

7.10.09 Jakes-o-Mine Saloon
7.11.09 Jakes-o-Mine Saloon
7.18.09 KDKB Coronado High Multi-year Reunion @ Flicka’s
7.24.09 Goathead Saloon w/ Ozzmosis
7.25.09 Club Red w/ Jimmie Van Zant
9.03.09 Cottonwood Farmers Market
9.26.09 Standin’ on the Corner Festival
10.03.09 Airpark Jeep Jam 4
10.24.09 Private Event
10.31.09 Buddy Stubbs Harley Halloween Party

Erich
07-02-2009, 02:35 PM
San Tan FLats are usually for crotch rockets.. thats ALOT of twists n turns... cruisers usually dont take that run cause its to much lean and pull and struggle unless u go realllll slow.. as a rider (when they arent stealing mine) i have ran that ALOT.. and it takes alot outta you but isnt recomended for the cruisers...

But nice bike :) and please please please.. wear yur gear,... ive watched toooo many ppl die at 5mph accidents cause they didnt and they hit thier heads.

San Tan Flats is a bar in Queen Creek BTW..
See lots of Harleys everytime Im there..

luvitdurty
07-02-2009, 02:47 PM
OH.. i mistook it for the actual san tan flats area.. muh bad

San Tan Flats is a bar in Queen Creek BTW..
See lots of Harleys everytime Im there..

Joe West
07-02-2009, 04:07 PM
I think you meant Tortilla Flats... East and North of Apache Junction.

That is a great ride and I see plenty of Harleys doing it. Although... here is a picture of the last guy I rode to Tortilla Flats who was riding a Harley...

The guy couldn't make a turn and ran off the road and hit the embankment. It was a pretty low speed wreck, but he got pretty banged up. He was thankfully wearing a helmet. After this accident, he sold all his Harleys and quit riding.

The red beemer in the last photograph is mine.

Joe

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28570&stc=1&d=1246575985

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28571&stc=1&d=1246575985

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28572&stc=1&d=1246575985

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28573&stc=1&d=1246575985

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28574&stc=1&d=1246575985

chopped7
07-02-2009, 04:35 PM
we'll have to ride sometime. i'm heading out to springerville tomorrow on the bike with my wife. we bought some rain gear yesterday. i need to go up to arrowhead and get some helmet hooks for out full face helmets. we wear 1/2 helmets but i want to take the full ones in case it rains. should be a good ride but we'll probably get wet.

keep the rubber side down my friend.

ArizonaXJ
07-03-2009, 11:31 AM
Thanks everyone......I should have known there would be a bunch of riders hiding in this group.

As for PPE (Personal Protective Equipment), we have to since I'm active duty.........DOT Approved helmet, boots or over ankle footware, Z87 rated eyeware, gloves, long sleves, bright clothes..........

If I bite it completely, the Army will pay out the insurance but not the survivor benefit plan (retirement check for the wife basically) if I'm not all protected out. If I don't bite it completely, they may NOT pay for my medical bills.......

So, I do wear the stuff....maybe not all of it, all of the time (I hate gloves, not a fan of long sleves)........

Almost forgot....yes, I did mean San Tan flats the bar, and I have some friends that have ridden to tortilla flats......we have a long list of places to go.

kjeepers
07-03-2009, 02:12 PM
Join a motorcycle group...They always have activities going on
just about every week.:fashizzle:

Thanks everyone......I should have known there would be a bunch of riders hiding in this group.

As for PPE (Personal Protective Equipment), we have to since I'm active duty.........DOT Approved helmet, boots or over ankle footware, Z87 rated eyeware, gloves, long sleves, bright clothes..........

If I bite it completely, the Army will pay out the insurance but not the survivor benefit plan (retirement check for the wife basically) if I'm not all protected out. If I don't bite it completely, they may NOT pay for my medical bills.......

So, I do wear the stuff....maybe not all of it, all of the time (I hate gloves, not a fan of long sleves)........

Almost forgot....yes, I did mean San Tan flats the bar, and I have some friends that have ridden to tortilla flats......we have a long list of places to go.

ArizonaXJ
07-05-2009, 06:20 PM
Join a motorcycle group...They always have activities going on
just about every week.:fashizzle:

We're looking at joining the American Legion Riders.......

Or maybe the He11s Angels????????????

k7mto
07-05-2009, 07:54 PM
We're looking at joining the American Legion Riders.......

Or maybe the He11s Angels????????????

Support the Phoenix 81!

We did the Up In Smoke benefit show for them hosted by the Lost Dutchmen MC. There were easily 500 in attendance. They are some of the nicest people you will ever meet and went to great lengths to take good care of us. Show respect, get respect.

chopped7
07-06-2009, 05:35 PM
Support the Phoenix 81!

Show respect, get respect.

haha or talk *****, get hit.

hopefully joe or somebody will get some more rides going out of this forum. it's cool to ride with vjc and other jeepers. you never run out of things to talk about when not riding.

k7mto
07-06-2009, 06:31 PM
Ride your asses out to Jakes-o-Mine this Friday or Saturday night!
Better yet, leave the donkeys at home and ride your scooters ;)

Doc in AZ
07-06-2009, 07:18 PM
i have owned several harleys.. they're pretty good bikes. i've had everything from an old 73 servicar (meter maid trike), old school bobbers with a jockey shift/suiced clutch, dynas and even a bagger with wayyyy too much horse power that did awesome burn outs... i can no longer ride having a bum paw.

but here's a couple things to remember about harleys...

every stitch of clothing you wear when you ride doesn't have to have harley on it... i see guys out all the time with the HD helmet, bandana, jacket, shirt, pants and boots... and i just think to myself "does this guy wear all dodge labels when he gets in his Ram truck?"

chrome won't get you home - but you'll sure look good pushin'
now, this is just my opinion and others may agree or disagree but you have to make your own decision...
personally i don't like chrome (see my bikes below) but i think a little bit here and there makes it look good. but when EVERYTHING on the bike is chrome it just starts to look gaudy... and when purchasing bikes from others that were dripping in chrome i noticed that the reflection and glare from the chrome in arizona summer days will blind you.

with it being a new bike, you should really consider getting the screamin eagle (or similar) programer for it. the new bikes with the larger motors (96" and above) have been seriously de-tuned to pass emissions and tend to run hot until you get them running "right"
my old 74" motor would whoop on my buddy's 96" when his was stock. but once he got his programmed it was a fair fight... my bike was about 400lbs lighter.

and one more thing to remember... bolting on the same aftermarket stuff everone else is bolting on doesn't make it "custom" it just means you changed stuff. custom is doing what no one else is doing.

the rear fender on my bobber took over 10 hours to make... cutting it down from another bike and basically changing everything.. the jockey shift we built by hand... to me that's custom.. the paint jobs on both bikes.. custom one of a kind pin striping and silver leafing...

not doggin ya, just trying not to see somone get caught up in the harley davidson marketing machine and have all the money sucked out of their pockets.

good luck with the new scooter and be careful out there!!

here's my last couple of projects

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j227/miltdamnit1/IMAGE_00090.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j227/miltdamnit1/IMAGE_00113.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j227/miltdamnit1/IMAGE_00110.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j227/miltdamnit1/IMAGE_00111.jpg

ArizonaXJ
07-10-2009, 07:35 PM
Can't do any riding this weekend...gotta teach the troops how to rappell!

As for "customizing vs. changing stuff"....I agree 100%. The wife likes the basic black and chrome but wants to do things to really make it ours.
I can't stand cookey cutter type stuff......as for the Harly money machine. I know what you mean. We feel as though buying all that HD stuff is a waste.
We are NOT RUBs by any means and don't want to have that image.

When she was little and her Dad was alive, he rode with the HA's in California. He was never a member but he was respected for who he was and how he did things so, they never had a problem with him riding with them.

blazerv10
07-10-2009, 08:15 PM
Can't do any riding this weekend...gotta teach the troops how to rappell!

As for "customizing vs. changing stuff"....I agree 100%. The wife likes the basic black and chrome but wants to do things to really make it ours.
I can't stand cookey cutter type stuff......as for the Harly money machine. I know what you mean. We feel as though buying all that HD stuff is a waste.
We are NOT RUBs by any means and don't want to have that image.

When she was little and her Dad was alive, he rode with the HA's in California. He was never a member but he was respected for who he was and how he did things so, they never had a problem with him riding with them.

what about me i like rapelling. we need a sheeps crossing and rapelling trip again.

ArizonaXJ
07-10-2009, 09:14 PM
what about me i like rapelling. we need a sheeps crossing and rapelling trip again.

your telling me....

Allen
07-11-2009, 12:00 AM
Join the Arizona Leatherneck Motorcycle Club!

ArizonaXJ
07-11-2009, 07:54 PM
Join the Arizona Leatherneck Motorcycle Club!

Sounds a little "elitist" or "restricted" membership.......
I'm thinking as in Leatherneck = prior membership the U.S.M.C. is required.
I'm Army........

ob1jeeper
07-11-2009, 08:06 PM
Lookin good Jim... Don't have a Harley, but if you're up for a ride someday, give me a shout... Will try to keep up and not embarrass you too much with my little Jap scoot...:angel:

ArizonaXJ
07-13-2009, 12:56 PM
Lookin good Jim... Don't have a Harley, but if you're up for a ride someday, give me a shout... Will try to keep up and not embarrass you too much with my little Jap scoot...:angel:

Sounds good. We took a cruise out to Wickenburg the first weekend we had it. Didn't know that everything was closed on Sundays????
Will definately let you know the next time we head out.

We'll probably just post up here and see who and what we can get together.

I wonder if there is a "virtual bike club"????

chopped7
07-16-2009, 07:38 AM
Sounds good. We took a cruise out to Wickenburg the first weekend we had it. Didn't know that everything was closed on Sundays????
Will definately let you know the next time we head out.

We'll probably just post up here and see who and what we can get together.

I wonder if there is a "virtual bike club"????

i'm sure the closest you'll get is here. lot's of riders on vjc. *** ever happened to jamie (wind danzer)? she rides.

RCKNXJ
07-16-2009, 11:29 PM
I REALLY miss my Harley, got hit by an old lady that "Didn't See Me" sitting at a stoplight waiting to turn. I have never gotten anoughter one due to afraid of what could happen again but I think once I am done with school I will buy anoughter one cheap that needs alot of work and fix it myself since thats what I will be attending school for.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg264/RCKNJEEP/bike.jpg

Huck
07-17-2009, 08:50 AM
Ride safe and enjoy yourself. I built my first scooter in '88 and have built one or two, every couple of years since then. There's some pretty solid advice that's been given here, so far.

I'll agree with the give and get response, 'specially at Jake O'mines..... Us Scooter-Tramps aren't bad people and you do have to watch yourself in this town. I was last hit on my Panhead at 19th Ave and Glendale, while waiting to turn left, at a red light. This one was because the driver was looking towards the back seat, yelling at his girlfriend's kid. He had a revoked license and fled the scene, leaving his girly to attempt to take the wrap...... I've also had someone drive right through a stop sign and whack me on my '62 with a passenger on board, in Madison WI.

Needless to say, I got over it. Currently, I've got three scoots in the garage that are licensed, insured and ready to ride. Once you guys get comfortable with the scooter and its mannerisms, I'd be happy to ride with you. My Wife is very comfortable on any of the scoots and is always happy to come along. Shoot, it was her suggestion to use one of the bikes to ride away from our wedding ceremony. Plenty of fun to be had and I DD one of my scoots from Sept 1 to July 1. Once July hits I normally cage it (driving the Jeep), until the weather breaks. Riding through Monsoons and Haboobs, isn't much fun. Neither is showing up for an appointment dripping sweat into your dress clothes and onto the meeting room table.:)

Above all around here, keep your eyes and ears active and looking for what you are going to have to avoid next. I ride ~22-25K a year on two wheels and this valley can be like playing Frogger sometimes.

Congrats and welcome to the "I own a Harley, not just a T-shirt" Club. Like Matt was saying in so many words, Good Guys wear Black.

vwkaferman
07-19-2009, 12:05 AM
Jesus, I'd offer up some advice and or rides in this thread but it seems more geared toward Harley or go home attitude.

Works out well though, I prefer riding alone.

James

Huck
07-19-2009, 12:23 AM
Jesus, I'd offer up some advice and or rides in this thread but it seems more geared toward Harley or go home attitude.

James
Just following up to the OP.

While I may chose to ride HD, I could care less what you choose to ride. For me its not what you ride, but how you ride it, if I'm going to be riding with you. I ride with most any make of bike, including parading through several bike events with an old friend on his 475 enduro.

I hear ya on riding alone, though. Enjoy yourself and ride safe James.

ArizonaXJ
07-19-2009, 02:35 PM
Ride safe and enjoy yourself. I built my first scooter in '88 and have built one or two, every couple of years since then. There's some pretty solid advice that's been given here, so far.

I'll agree with the give and get response, 'specially at Jake O'mines..... Us Scooter-Tramps aren't bad people and you do have to watch yourself in this town. I was last hit on my Panhead at 19th Ave and Glendale, while waiting to turn left, at a red light. This one was because the driver was looking towards the back seat, yelling at his girlfriend's kid. He had a revoked license and fled the scene, leaving his girly to attempt to take the wrap...... I've also had someone drive right through a stop sign and whack me on my '62 with a passenger on board, in Madison WI.

Needless to say, I got over it. Currently, I've got three scoots in the garage that are licensed, insured and ready to ride. Once you guys get comfortable with the scooter and its mannerisms, I'd be happy to ride with you. My Wife is very comfortable on any of the scoots and is always happy to come along. Shoot, it was her suggestion to use one of the bikes to ride away from our wedding ceremony. Plenty of fun to be had and I DD one of my scoots from Sept 1 to July 1. Once July hits I normally cage it (driving the Jeep), until the weather breaks. Riding through Monsoons and Haboobs, isn't much fun. Neither is showing up for an appointment dripping sweat into your dress clothes and onto the meeting room table.:)

Above all around here, keep your eyes and ears active and looking for what you are going to have to avoid next. I ride ~22-25K a year on two wheels and this valley can be like playing Frogger sometimes.

Congrats and welcome to the "I own a Harley, not just a T-shirt" Club. Like Matt was saying in so many words, Good Guys wear Black.

Thanks. I know what you mean about rididng in the monsoon season. Got caught out a few years ago......then YESTERDAY on the way down from Payson! We'll have to get together.

James

I'm of the mindset that you ride what you ride. I have some good friends that have other than American made bikes :whistling: While it's nice to go it alone, sometimes its nice to have some friends along.....