PDA

View Full Version : Logo Work

TomHatch
06-23-2009, 04:34 PM
I know there are many on this site with graphic design capabilities. I need a simple logo made for a new company and thought about taking submittals on this thread and sending a check for $150 whatever logo (if any) I pick. I will need the final logo emailed as an .eps or .ai file.

The logo should contain a graphic that represents the company and is recognizable without the full company name (think Nike Swoosh or the Golden Arches).

The company is North Gem Properties LLC . For the graphic, I want a gem shape similar to the one below. I thought about having the letters NG formed inside the gem shape but would need to see it first.

The colors are Purple and White (some black is ok too).

If you want to submit a design, reply to this thread with your logo.

Tom

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_zg0c0abMeQs/SkFjjQnnLOI/AAAAAAAAC_w/8Rq3DFHz6rY/s144/Gem20.jpg

azshtr
06-23-2009, 04:38 PM
So to sum up... "hey people, do work for me and if I like it I'll pay!" Seriously?

http://blog.ragan.com/prjunkie/2009/06/does_this_remind_you_of_your_company.html

That's a bit of an insult

Dannyboy
06-23-2009, 04:44 PM
So to sum up... "hey people, do work for me and if I like it I'll pay!" Seriously?

http://blog.ragan.com/prjunkie/2009/06/does_this_remind_you_of_your_company.html

LOL, the unappreciated graphic designer...my fiancee runs into this all the time....she's great, but she's going to need some money up front.

azshtr
06-23-2009, 09:06 PM
LOL, the unappreciated graphic designer...my fiancee runs into this all the time....she's great, but she's going to need some money up front.

my point exactly!

AZ Gear Head
06-23-2009, 11:05 PM
ill kick it around a bit but deff no promises

lancetkenyon
06-24-2009, 04:41 AM
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_zg0c0abMeQs/SkFjjQnnLOI/AAAAAAAAC_w/8Rq3DFHz6rY/s144/Gem20.jpg

Here you go Tom, you can change the colors to purple if you want, I don't mind. Just copy it and try "paint" on your computer. I will PM my addy so you can send the check.......

TomHatch
06-24-2009, 08:18 AM

Dave,

Funny video but to suggest I'm trying to get something for nothing is off the mark. There are many people on this board who have the skills I need and could use some money on the side. I know several people who will provide this artwork to me at no charge; people I work with and give business to. I would rather give a little cash to someone on this board who needs it.

I'm not trying to take advantage of anyone; but rather, would like to help someone out.

Tom

ademster
06-24-2009, 08:25 AM
When first read the title I thought it read, LEGO WORK!

haha anyhow.

I would try and do it but I suck at Computer graphics.

Try getting a hold of Shannonmac she does graphics.

Hunter
06-24-2009, 08:27 AM
Tom,

My wife still does her web design work on the side. She also does quite a bit of logo design work too. Sending you a PM.

Take Care,

TomHatch
06-24-2009, 08:33 AM

Dannyboy,

I know several professional graphic designers and have worked with a few 3D molders who make characters for video games and movies. If I called one of them and asked for a purple gem shape with "NG" superimposed in it for $150 they would kick it out in 15 to 30 mins and make (prorated) between $300 and $600 per hour.

For two years I designed corporate stationary packages (business cards, letterheads, envelopes). I always outsourced the graphic and personally worked on the stationary layout. $150 for a simple graphic is not unheard of.

I'm not going into a design studio and asking for a complete company identity package with a $150 budget.

I understand that everyone is not interested in trying to make a little side money for a simple graphic.

Tom

RokNRich
06-24-2009, 09:10 AM
The video was funny, but that's not the case here...........guy needs some one off work done and offered it here, with pay. Not like he's asking for free (which also happens all the time)

Thanks for offering the group the opportunity Tom. !

Craig Hayes
06-24-2009, 09:18 AM
Tom that is cool of you to offer this up on the board. Hope someone steps up and helps you with your request. And after looking and reading your post it clearly states that you are welling to pay for the help and that you were not asking for free services.. Good luck and see you a round

azshtr
06-24-2009, 09:42 AM
I'll jump back in on this one. I'm not being sensitive to this but some of you may think I am. Here is my issue... many in business do not see "design" or "photography" as a viable job. It's just a camera how hard is that... or he can whip that out in no time on the computer. There are years of work, investment in equipment, bla bla, to running as a business. You asked for multiple submissions with no obligation to pay for anything. That is asking for free work. If someone wants to do it fine. But as a business practice it is low.

You're in property... build me a few houses and if I like one I'll pay for it
Hunter is in fab work... care to build me 3 cage designs? If I like one I'll pay for it.
Hey VJC... I need a new web site, submit your designs and if I like one I'll buy it.

Pay someone here to do the work is great. Just pick ONE and get it done.

IMHO

Craig Hayes
06-24-2009, 02:31 PM
I see what you are saying and can understand a little bit more of where what you said came from..Good points.

TomHatch
06-24-2009, 04:56 PM
I'll jump back in on this one. I'm not being sensitive to this but some of you may think I am. Here is my issue... many in business do not see "design" or "photography" as a viable job. It's just a camera how hard is that... or he can whip that out in no time on the computer. There are years of work, investment in equipment, bla bla, to running as a business. You asked for multiple submissions with no obligation to pay for anything. That is asking for free work. If someone wants to do it fine. But as a business practice it is low.

You're in property... build me a few houses and if I like one I'll pay for it
Hunter is in fab work... care to build me 3 cage designs? If I like one I'll pay for it.
Hey VJC... I need a new web site, submit your designs and if I like one I'll buy it.

Pay someone here to do the work is great. Just pick ONE and get it done.

IMHO

Dave,

It’s interesting to read what your thoughts are but I still think you're missing the point. Everyone is interested in saving money where they can, but if that was my main objective I'd get this silly logo done for free from a number of professionals I've worked with (and employed) in the past.

I also don't see how your examples relate to this scenario.

My contracting company always provides free design consulting. We spend many hours and hundreds of dollars designing and pricing homes, kitchens, and bathrooms. Routinely we go through several design reviews and still never see the project materialize. Only a small portion of the projects I bid or design turn into real work. So, for what it's worth, let me know next time you need some contracting done. I'll come over and spend my time and money to price your job and you can choose whether or not to use my company (I won’t be surprised or offended if you call more than one contractor to get the best product for the price OR if you are operating on a budget).

I can't tell you exactly how Hunter works but I guess it's a similar process. He surely would talk to you to see what your needs are and sketch a cage (by hand or on CAD) that he feels would work. He may even sketch several and get you to sign off on the one you like before he starts the build. At any rate, his preliminary meetings and designs and quote would be free to you (not to him). It's the nature of his work. I’m sure he prices lots of projects that never materialize.

I guess I don’t see how a graphic designer’s time and professional abilities are worth more than Hunter’s time or my time.

Professional designers (draftsmen, architects, graphic artists, etc) operate under the same principles. An individual building a new home should meet with a few architectural firms and ask to see some samples of their work and review pricing. All these meetings cost the different firms time and money with the customer selecting only the firm they feel comfortable with in the end.

The scenario at hand is simple and fair; I’m willing to pay $150 for a scaleable vector graphic logo. I’m going to pay for the first logo I like. If investing a little time and talent into a design is not worth the chance to make $150 don’t bother submitting.

Tom

azshtr
06-25-2009, 08:39 AM
I understand what you are saying. The difference is the design you are doing, or hunter, is leading to the much bigger sale. The design you are asking for IS the final product and not the stepping stone to bigger things. You wouldn't actually build your final product hoping for a sale.

But that's enough on my view. If people want to do it great. I'm out on this thread. I wish you well and meant no ill will.

getting dirty
08-18-2009, 09:28 AM
Not to beat a dead horse.

I know I am a little late on this, I have been in this field more then 1/2 my life, and I have to say I agree with Dave 100%. As graphic designers we run into this all of the time. If you are going to hire someone to do work for you, you need to pay them for the work. Building logos is what we do for a living, we are not in business to do work, and wonder if we are going to get paid at the end of the project.

I do understand about giving the work to someone who needs it, but if they are spending the time to work on your logo, and they need the money, you should be paying them for their time anyway. Not only if you like that logo the best.