PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Kenwood speaker/mic 2 pin style programming cable?

urbex
05-22-2009, 05:14 PM
I need to reprogram the Alpha tags in my HT, and need that cable to do so. I have the software already. I know I can build one, but figured I'd check anyways before I go buy the parts to do so.

Calizonia
05-25-2009, 09:04 PM
Sorry, I don't have one and don't know of anyone that does. Good Luck.

urbex
05-25-2009, 09:16 PM
No worries...I'm about 15 minutes away from finishing a home-brew version.

corwyyn
05-25-2009, 10:20 PM
No worries...I'm about 15 minutes away from finishing a home-brew version.
Now see thats the spirit of Ham Radio - if you don't have it, build it! SO what kind of Kenwood HT did you wind up getting?

urbex
05-26-2009, 12:02 AM
Now see thats the spirit of Ham Radio - if you don't have it, build it! SO what kind of Kenwood HT did you wind up getting?

Unfortunetly, cables like these are about the limits of my electronics ability. I've always wanted to learn more, but just haven't yet been able to wrap my brain around how the basic components (resistors/capacitors/inductors/etc) interact to produce the end result.

Anyways, I ended up with a TK-372G with optional DTMF pad/encoder. Intended as a UHF commercial HT, but that's been opened up to include the 70cm ham freqs as well. Works amazingly well on the ham freqs...was able to hit the South Mountain repeaters from inside my house with usuable clarity. Got very good audio reports when I went out to the front yard.

My Bendix King parts radio should be here tomorrow, so hopefully I'll be able to get my 2m HT up as well.

EDIT: Participated in the Phoenix Down Under net this morning (http://www.phoenixdownunder.net), and was getting many more excellent audio reports, and a couple people surprised that I was on an HT given how clear the audio was. I'm really tempted to search out one of these radios in VHF now as well. But that will be at least a few months out, as I do want to see what that how Bendix King radio performs once I'm able to use it on battery instead of being tied to my bench power supply.