PDA

View Full Version : 2 day trip

2000wrangler
05-14-2009, 03:24 PM
ok i want to know if anyone has run from mammoth to klondike over the saddle. i want to make a 2 day run one day going to turkey creek and one back out. this trail is not for the faint of heart or a rig in any kind of poor shape. i have only rode it on a dirt bike but it is easy and hard. lots of loose steep climbs and carpet hill is a B. would like to have a few rigs as it will be a 2-3 day walk to find help but if no takers im still going.dont know when but if any takers we can set a date. last time i ran this on a bike i found a unimog and 2 jeeps all 3 had bailing wire holding something on and a yj had it holding a control arm on and they were only half way through and 2 days from help. extra gas will be needed as the trail was 90 miles round trip and 4 low most the way.dont want any newbs on this one unless a seasoned wheeler is rideing shotgun(sorry boys and girls not for a newb). no lockers needed but may be more than helpful. LIKE I SAID 2-3 DAY WALK OUT let me know.thanx lenny

TinyMan
05-14-2009, 05:50 PM
I did it last summer in one day. We left Mammoth and went into Safford to meet up with some old friends for dinner and came back on the highway. It made for a very long day. The section of road between Parson's grove and Turkey Creek takes it out of you. I tried to get a run going the first weekend in May on a different site and had no takers for a two day trip. I've been toying with the idea of doing a night run.

Phtmphxr
05-15-2009, 12:50 AM
I hunt that area, I'll pass. It took three days to get my truck out (not jeep) blew a drive shaft.:pinch:

2000wrangler
05-15-2009, 05:27 AM
I hunt that area, I'll pass. It took three days to get my truck out (not jeep) blew a drive shaft.:pinch:

and this is why i said jeep must be in good shape. i plan on camping and going home the next day. but ya it takes all day

SonoranBadger
05-17-2009, 03:53 PM
Any cool scenery or is this more of an endurance run? Is the road listed as an FR or have a name?

TinyMan
05-17-2009, 04:52 PM
Any cool scenery or is this more of an endurance run? Is the road listed as an FR or have a name?

On the BLM website it is call Rug Road, it is also known as Aravaipa Canal/Turkey Creek.

Here are some pictures of what it is like.

Rug Road (http://www.tucsonoffroad.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=511)

SonoranBadger
05-18-2009, 03:24 PM
Cool, thanks...

amber.hodge
05-18-2009, 03:29 PM
Shoot Number 7 a PM - they love these several day wheeling trips and probably have already done it once or twice on their expedition group.

oldhockeyvb
05-19-2009, 08:43 PM
I'm definitely interested. I've been wanting to do this trail for years and heard recently it was open again. Running mojave road this weekend then going on vacation in june. Probably august, september time frame maybe, when were you thinking about?

2000wrangler
05-20-2009, 05:19 AM
I'm definitely interested. I've been wanting to do this trail for years and heard recently it was open again. Running mojave road this weekend then going on vacation in june. Probably august, september time frame maybe, when were you thinking about?

ya its gonna have to be later in the year as i have unexpected back surgery june 3rd and was told it will take a few months to heal so sept. is what i am gonna shoot for.

SonoranBadger
11-02-2009, 11:45 AM
Can this be run as a day trip? Area sounds really interesting - I really enjoyed Sibley Mansion run; assuming it has similar feel?

slickrrr
11-02-2009, 12:30 PM
im off this weekend

TinyMan
11-02-2009, 12:35 PM
Can this be run as a day trip? Area sounds really interesting - I really enjoyed Sibley Mansion run; assuming it has similar feel?

Same kind of feel, since you start on the same trail. It's a little more difficult than heading to the mansion. It can be accomplished in one day but it would be a really long day. A couple of weeks ago we ran the trail from Klondyke to Mammoth. From our camp site; just past the cliff dwelling in Turkey Creek, it took our three rigs 8 hours to reach Mammoth.

SonoranBadger
11-17-2009, 01:47 PM
Same kind of feel, since you start on the same trail. It's a little more difficult than heading to the mansion. It can be accomplished in one day but it would be a really long day. A couple of weeks ago we ran the trail from Klondyke to Mammoth. From our camp site; just past the cliff dwelling in Turkey Creek, it took our three rigs 8 hours to reach Mammoth.

Sorry, I lost track of this thread - so how many total hours would it take to run the whole thing (starting at 8AM say)?

SavageSun4x4
11-17-2009, 02:11 PM
Just did it a couple of weekends ago. From M to Klondyke its a good days ride on 'Rug Road'.

We spent Fri - Sun there, lots of scenery, great views, lts of fun, old mines to explore etc. Great weather this time of year, but expect just below freezing at night.

Rug road can be DANGEROUS as its steep and a roll can happen easy...we had a guy roll Sat and it was a bear to get him upright again...

here are some pics from our outing...http://picasaweb.google.com/kristoffersmith/20091030RugRoad#

SonoranBadger
11-17-2009, 02:40 PM
Just did it a couple of weekends ago. From M to Klondyke its a good days ride on 'Rug Road'.

We spent Fri - Sun there, lots of scenery, great views, lts of fun, old mines to explore etc. Great weather this time of year, but expect just below freezing at night.

Rug road can be DANGEROUS as its steep and a roll can happen easy...we had a guy roll Sat and it was a bear to get him upright again...

here are some pics from our outing...http://picasaweb.google.com/kristoffersmith/20091030RugRoad#

Was the guy who rolled messing around or just running the trail?

SonoranBadger
11-17-2009, 02:43 PM
So what it that in your picture gallery - Coolidge Dam?

SavageSun4x4
11-17-2009, 04:00 PM
Was the guy who rolled messing around or just running the trail?
No, he was backing up to get a better line and his right rear wheel went up the side of the mountain and the Jeep rolled over. EZ roll did not even break his hardtop side window, laid over gentle...BUT hellva effort to get him upright due to drop off on one side, mountain on the other, and trail was STEEP uphill and not wider enought to turn around.

We found a rock and threw a strap around it, I passed my winch rope thru a D ring attached to the strap and then over to Jeep...still not enough of an angle to pull rig over so we got every one on the Jeep and rocked while I pulled winch rope and Jeep finally came over.

So what it that in your picture gallery - Coolidge Dam?

Yes...

ltklein
11-18-2009, 06:29 AM
Is the section between Klondyke and the Turkey Creek Ruin open again? Tried to go out there a couple years back and a lady who lost her son in the war was keeping her gate locked.

Or did you use a bypass?

Thx!

SavageSun4x4
11-18-2009, 08:44 AM
Is the section between Klondyke and the Turkey Creek Ruin open again? Tried to go out there a couple years back and a lady who lost her son in the war was keeping her gate locked.

Or did you use a bypass?

Thx!
Roger, not for positive, but we did have to open and CLOSE a gate...I would guess that might be her property, we also went thru a couple of other gates that were already open...

SonoranBadger
11-18-2009, 01:31 PM
No, he was backing up to get a better line and his right rear wheel went up the side of the mountain and the Jeep rolled over. EZ roll did not even break his hardtop side window, laid over gentle...BUT hellva effort to get him upright due to drop off on one side, mountain on the other, and trail was STEEP uphill and not wider enought to turn around.

We found a rock and threw a strap around it, I passed my winch rope thru a D ring attached to the strap and then over to Jeep...still not enough of an angle to pull rig over so we got every one on the Jeep and rocked while I pulled winch rope and Jeep finally came over.

Yes...

Argg...

theksmith
11-21-2009, 11:52 AM
i ran this with SavageSun a few weeks ago (we ran UP the carpet hill, form Klondyke to Mamoth), here is my trip report : http://www.offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=255

Offroad Passport is doing the run next April: http://www.offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276

SonoranBadger
11-22-2009, 10:29 AM
Thanks for sharing; like the pumpkin. I'd really be interested in running this...

2000wrangler
11-24-2009, 01:31 PM

Or did you use a bypass?

Thx!

she is keeping that gate locked agasent the rules i had the police tell her it was state land and she opned it but closed it 3 hours later there is one way around it but hard to find

STEVE FREEMAN
11-24-2009, 08:33 PM
yea looks like a fun trail, i'am interested in going also

SonoranBadger
02-18-2010, 12:58 PM
Anyone interested in leading this one?

Pontiac Freak
02-23-2010, 05:47 AM
I have been through there 2 times. Once each direction. I think I still have the GPS Coords. When are you thinking of doing this run?

SonoranBadger
02-24-2010, 04:59 PM
I have been through there 2 times. Once each direction. I think I still have the GPS Coords. When are you thinking of doing this run?

I was kinda hoping someone would tell me when they were going :)

Pontiac Freak
02-25-2010, 05:32 AM
If I finish the projects at home then maybe in 3 weeks or so I might try to put together a run.

SonoranBadger
03-29-2010, 08:56 PM
Made a run for it over the weekend (Mammoth to Klondyke); appreciate all the advice:

Rug Road: Bull Run (http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showthread.php?t=56002)

Think this was mentioned previously but Off Road Passort (http://www.offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276) is making this run from Klondyke to Mammoth April 23-25, probably a great opportunity if you can make it...