PDA

View Full Version : Any musicians?

jeepin_in_az
01-30-2004, 08:41 AM
Any musicians in the east valley? Drummer, singer, bassist?

I play everything from Eagles to Metallica....no country really..

Nothing serious yet, just to mess around....

k7mto
01-30-2004, 02:21 PM
I've got a Tama kit in the garage that's been colleting dust for awhile. I could probably be pursuaded to dust them (and myself) off for some good jamming. I've been playing since mid 70's and even opened for a few national acts back east (in a previous life). Got a place to play where the neighbors won't complain?

jeepcj5nut
01-30-2004, 04:49 PM
I live in Mesa, would love to get with people to jam some, get more experience playing with others...I play guitar as well. I'm using my cousin's account right now (in case anybody is thinking "I know who jeepcj5nut is" and I'm almost positive he doesn't play). Also, I wasn't even around in the 70's to have been playing, haha...just to let you know, some people might have an issue with age, I don't know. Just looking to jam.

jeepin_in_az
01-31-2004, 06:09 AM
Matt, get those drums dusted off...what type of music? I don't think my neighbors would care, just not sure on my young kids, 2 and 4.:D

Shawn's cousin, I do know him! Age doesn't matter....jamming is jamming. What type of music do you play?

I just fixed my amp, after 2 years of it broken, so I have been playing my acoustic for a while. I need to plug in the electric and get back into that too....

k7mto
01-31-2004, 10:10 AM
I'll get them out see what they need. Back in Oregon, I'd let a neighborhood kid use them for about a year with his band. Some of the heads need replacing and I'm sure some minor hardware adjustments. Where's a good music store in the Gilbert/Chandler area where I can get some heads/sticks?

Like you, I play(ed) just about everything from Blues to Metal. I was raised on Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Skynyrd, Allman Bros, etc. I'm sure I'm rusty, but it doesn't take long to shake it off :)

jeepin_in_az
01-31-2004, 04:23 PM
Honestly, I just got back into playing about 8 months ago. Last place I went to was Guitar Center, they were close to work.

Off of Elliot and Priest? Around there.

I will do some listening to Allman and pick up some songs. Eagles are fun too.

I have been jamming some blues lately though.....

Shawn's cousing.......any blues licks to accompany? I also do punk music :rock:

Sasquatche132
02-13-2004, 02:58 PM
Sorry it took so long.

I am the one known as "Shawn's Cousin". My names Josh. It took awhile to get my account activated.

Anyway, I play lots of metal. Heavy, fast, and usually very melodic. I started with Metallica, but now I play alot of bands most people haven't heard of. Children of Bodom, Bal Sagoth, Old Man's Child, etc. ....lots of "european metal"...more user friendly influences include Aerosmith, Metallica (whom I already mentioned), Black Sabbath, Eagles, anything classical (Brahmes, Mozart, etc.), various flamenco (Esteban, Paco de Lucio, etc.), and celtic......pretty much everything from classical to black metal excluding Pop, Country (unless it's got a celtic feel...Chieftans), and Rap/hip hop/R & B/nu metal (all sounds the same to me).

Anyway, I can do the pentonic/blues thing, or most anything else for that matter, I'll need to sit down and learn it first, but just looking to get out and jam.

Alright, I think that's plenty of info, yes?

Y2K-XJ
02-14-2004, 09:42 AM
I play bass! been pluckin around for about 7 years now I used to like to rock out like old metallica and all types of metal ,but really like to play funk,j*** and mello stuff now! but will still get crazy with any type of tunes!
Let me know

Sasquatche132
02-14-2004, 05:58 PM
Look at that, Two guitars, Drums, and now a bassist....it's almost amazing.

Y2K-XJ
02-14-2004, 06:27 PM
Ok now who can sing? and
what are we gonna call ourselves?
maybe we should take regular words and just spell them different! like
BIG NIFE,
LIMOZEEN,
TARANCHULA, or
LAZOR, you know stuff like that...
or if anyone has a cool last name Like
Kip Winger or
Ronnie James Dio
Bon Jovi, LOL
George Lynch (Lynch Mob)
Steve Miller Band
Lynard Skynard Im still dying to know which ones Lynard? LOL
or to a lesser degree Znuf
HMMMMMMMMMM?

k7mto
02-14-2004, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Y2K-XJ
Lynard Skynard Im still dying to know which ones Lynard? LOL

It's Lynyrd Skynyrd. Leonard Skinner was the High School gym teacher for the core group of the band.

From their bio (http://www.skynyrd.com/less2.html)...

"However, it was the dress code at cross-town rival Robert E Lee High School that would go down in rock and roll history, largely because of a tough gym teacher named Leonard Skinner. In 1978, Skinner recalled, "I was a gym coach in high school for Ronnie VanZant and of the others in the band. Back in those days we had a dress code. The dress code involved sideburns not coming below the ears; hair not touching the back of the collar; belts had to be worn; shirt tails had to be in; and socks had to be worn at all times. It was among the duties of the coach to help enforce these rules and apparently one of the people, or one or more of the people, that I may have sent down were members of this band."

Trying to get around the dress code's ban on long hair, Gary and the others would use Vasoline before school to slick back their hair and keep it out of their eyes and off their shoulders. Gary remembered thinking they looked like rednecks, but all the teachers thought they had short hair. All except coach Skinner, that was.

Gary recalled, "All the teachers thought we had short hair, but then at gym you had to take a shower - it was mandatory." Remembering the results of those showers, Gary related, "Leonard Skinner would come through the showers while you were doing it, and if he caught you with your hair down touching your ears or something he'd kick you out or send you to the principal. After about 20 or 30 times of doing that to me, and kicking me out for two weeks of suspension, I just quit school. He kicked me out and I said,`____ you, I'm gone!'

"We played at the Forrest Inn a night or two later and as a joke, because Ronie was goofing on me leaving and what happened when Skinner kicked me out, he said `Hey, we're One Percent. We're gonna play for y'all tonight, but we're gonna change our name though. Everybody who wants to change it to Leonard Skinner applaud, Everybody who don't, don't.' Everybody knew Leonard Skinner because he was everybody else's coach too. So everybody roared and cheered and they thought it was a big joke and funny, but we kept it. And later we changed the Y's and stuff so we wouldn't get in trouble and it kind of caught on from that little joke."

After the Forrest Inn date, Bob Burns reinforced the name change by joking that Skinner would come for Gary. Whenever a phone would ring and no one would be on the line or they thought they heard a knock on the door, it was always "Leonard" out to get Gary.

Leonard Skinner grew into Lynard Skynard, and then finally, the band settled on Lynyrd Skynyrd."

Skinner also had/has his own Real Estate firm (http://www.skynyrd.com/tav.html) in the greater Jacksonville, FL area. They used his name and replaced the vowels with the letter 'y' and added the 'd' at the end.

I still haven't dug my drums out. I'll try to get to it soon, but if any other drummers post, please don't hesitate to jam with them. If that happens, I can still drop by and jam a bit also.

jeepin_in_az
02-16-2004, 06:48 AM
Josh, where abouts do you live? Petonic/blues are cool, they can be added to just about anything.

Rob, band name? [Butthead] Settle down Beavis [Butthead] That can come later, MUCH later :D

Sasquatche132
02-16-2004, 05:44 PM
Live off of Dobson and Guadalupe in Mesa

Also....who would even think about calling themselves Lazor or limozeen? ha ha

Sasquatche132
02-17-2004, 10:45 PM
alright....so we gonna figure out a time to jam?

I'm free most every evening/night excluding Tuesdays and Thursdays (currently). and then all day Saturdays and Sundays, that's saying I haven't made previous arrangements, of course.

Also...the place?

jeepin_in_az
02-18-2004, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by Sasquatche132
alright....so we gonna figure out a time to jam?

I'm free most every evening/night excluding Tuesdays and Thursdays (currently). and then all day Saturdays and Sundays, that's saying I haven't made previous arrangements, of course.

Also...the place?

I am free most evenings/nights excpet Tuesday's. Weekends are usually open too, as long as my wife didn't plan anything for me.

Place? Good question. I have two small kids, so week nights are not an option really at my house. Might be able to swing weekends though....

Even if just me and you get together for a while, work out some chords, whatever, that would be good too. Are you playing electric or acoustic? I play both, but have been favoring the acoustic lately....

Sasquatche132
02-18-2004, 04:48 PM
Alright....well I can't jam here...acoustic wise though, may be different, as long as it's just the guitars...no amplification

I play mostly Electric....I get on an acoustic kick every once in awhile and play until I once again realize how much I hate my acoustic guitar....it doesn't sound quite right to blame something on the guitar, but if you tried playing it, I think you'd understand.....I think it was originally bought off of QVC. It's like a nylon string guitar mixed with steel string....quite odd

I can play it if needed though

Sasquatche132
02-25-2004, 10:52 PM
It seems people don't care too much for a second page....Where'd everybody go???

jeepin_in_az
02-26-2004, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by Sasquatche132
It seems people don't care too much for a second page....Where'd everybody go???

Second page? Just set your page view to 50 posts :D

I was thinking last night, I know a bass player that lives off 60 and Val Vista....let me contact him and see what he has going on. Maybe we can jam at his place.

Sasquatche132
03-04-2004, 09:49 PM
Any developements? Anything new? We seem to have found a great wall....there must be a gate somewhere, an opening.

Sasquatche132
04-06-2004, 11:31 AM
Well...

OK

jeepin_in_az
04-07-2004, 01:16 PM
Well...

OK

Been busy with 2 jobs....still in my mind though....

k7mto
04-07-2004, 05:52 PM
I'm in Portland, OR right now (been here for 10 days and have 10 more to go), but I had a chance to jam last night at a local club with some old friends and will again next Tuesday. Gotta admit it peaked my interest again. Forgot how much fun it is playing for a live audience. I still have lots of work to do on my yard when I return, but I'll increase the priority of getting the kit out and in shape to play.

topjimmy
05-04-2004, 02:06 PM
I wish I had people to play with, I would love to piss off my neighbors, since I have to listen to their @%$&# Mexican polka crap. I live on the west side of course... we could make tons of noise in my garage or living room.

I play guitar but I suck at it, I have lots of influences and will play anything that is rock oriented, old or new.

I have an electric Charvel and an acoustic Ibanez, a Laney Linebacker combo amp, DOD digital effects, and assorted pedals, original Crybaby, etc.

As Steve Sample always says, lets ROCKKKKKKKKKKK.