PDA

View Full Version : Need a Backyard

drysnymphe
05-04-2009, 09:00 AM
This probably isn't quite the right section to post this in, but seemed the closest.

My mom is unable to find work back home or in the community where a friend has put her and her husband up. They will most likely be coming here where the job market is more promising.

Unfortunately, my mom has 2 collies (short coat) and we have no place to put them in my condo. :aagh: I wondered if anyone out there would be willing to share their backyard for a while until my mom can get her own place (should she have to come here).

She's going to ask my brother first, as he might have room for dogs, but not for people (and can't afford to support mom at all... he's half-supported by his in-laws while he's in school). But, it seems unlikely that the in-laws will be willing to help.

If you can help, please PM me and I'll put you in touch with her.
The closer to my place, the better. I'm at Cave Creek & Bell.

Thanks so much to anyone who's willing & able.

drysnymphe
05-04-2009, 10:48 AM
Well it's looking a lot more definite that she's coming down. Anybody that can help? :confused:

Doc in AZ
05-04-2009, 10:53 AM
i would help but i have a cranky old chihuahua that doesn't get along well with others... on a similar note, i have two large tortoises in my tortoise habitat on loan to me since my friends mother moved out here and had no where to put them... seems to be a recurring theme lately.

good luck finding boarding

drysnymphe
05-04-2009, 12:05 PM
My mom wanted me to let anyone who can help know that she is a registered AKC breeder of collies and one of the dogs is a champion. Both are bred from champions and in exchange for the help, she'll give you one of the puppies from the first litter.

Bilt4Comfort
05-04-2009, 05:55 PM
My mom wanted me to let anyone who can help know that she is a registered AKC breeder of collies and one of the dogs is a champion. Both are bred from champions and in exchange for the help, she'll give you one of the puppies from the first litter.

Check CL...I have seen ads for foster care for pets.

grateful
05-04-2009, 08:30 PM
Sorry - I would help but my old dog is rather nasty to others....that's why I don't take her out on the trails when I know there are other dogs around. I hope you find a backyard....
smiles,karen

Fire Ball
05-04-2009, 08:41 PM
I was reading this and was about to volunteer until I found out she is a breeder. Since about 80% of all dogs born are abandoned or put down, I have a serious problem with breeding dogs.

We had a couple in FL who decided that their competition Border Collie was no longer pulling her weight in the show, they decided to get rid of her.

I searched all over FL, GA and AL for a BC rescue. All of them were full and would onlytake E listed emergency cases only. I also found 7 Border Collie breeders. Something is wrong with this picture.

Sorry for the rant but we are now seeing over 1200 animals put down in Mericopa County alone each week.

Bilt4Comfort
05-04-2009, 09:18 PM
Sorry for the rant but we are now seeing over 1200 animals put down in Mericopa County alone each week.

Keeping Filiberto's in business since 1985.

drysnymphe
05-05-2009, 08:32 AM
Well...

- Number one, these aren't border collies. Border collies, thanks to various movies, have become the victim of puppy millers, something my mother and the AKC have and continue to fight against.

- Number two, she's not THAT kind of breeder. She only breeds through a very formal, controlled, and highly limited process- not puppy mill style like all these morons do with Pits, chihuahua's and insert-random-dangerously-incompatible-breed-a-doodles, etc. (Random breeding like that can lead to horrible physical impairments and disease in dogs, besides contributing to overpopulation) She's bred about 3 litters in her life, the last one in the mid-80's, and no litters with these dogs.

- Number three, she's taken social action against THOSE kinds of breeders quite often. Those people are a human travesty and should be prosecuted. My mother has never bred her dogs in her life without every puppy having a home ready before the sire and dam ever even meet. She also takes great pains to make sure the dogs are healthy, fully-vaccinated, weaned, and well-socialized before leaving their mother for people who've been pre-screened who have years of experience and a strong commitment - who understand that a dog is for life - and who see to it that the dogs are well-trained and extremely well-taken-care-of.

Just felt I needed to clarify.

It breaks my heart (and should everyone's) the tragedy of irresponsible ownership and criminally-irresponsible breeding. But, it was unfair of you to cast someone in that light without understanding what goes on in the world of responsible breeding. If I've changed your mind and you're willing to help, I'll be grateful to you always. If not, I'm still very grateful to you for even considering helping.

jeeperapril
05-05-2009, 11:02 AM
Wish I could offer up my yard, if worse comes to worse let me know, PM me, if my dog gets along with your mom's 2 I could help out for a bit. Suggestion for future too, If you can get your mom to get both dogs registered as therapy or companion dogs (little training to get license) she can rent anywhere and they can not turn her away! I had a retired companion dog and he could go into stores, hotels, etc...with his license on. Let me know, I do live a ways from you, Scottsdale & McDowell. But I have a fully fenced yard and a doggie door. And on the breeding part, I had a lawyer friend that bred standard poodles, at home, only bred them 1 time a year, and all puppies were spoken for before she bred them. Not all breeders are bad, you have to be careful and ask to see where they bred them. Good luck to your mom!!!!!:angel:

Fire Ball
05-05-2009, 09:07 PM
I have seen pedigreed dogs of all breeds end up on e lists. I have seen hunting breeds that were well trained and well behaved in shelters. I appreciate that she cares about the dogs and was not comparing her to a mill operator, but once a dog leaves a breeder, anything can and often times does happen.

roadrashmike
05-05-2009, 10:07 PM
I wonder what a border collie and a weiner dog puppy would look like???? I could put them up for a month or so,But I got two weiner dogs,Tommie and frankie, a chihuahua named tito who will boink anything that will hold still for 30sec. and a lab/golden named Ralph who hasn`t dropped the boys yet. drop me a PM if your still interested.:aagh:

drysnymphe
05-07-2009, 03:05 PM
thanks rash, thanks april. haven't heard back from her since i posted this.

ryan rich
08-06-2009, 08:03 PM
i live in Apache Junction on 1.5 acres that's a little far but if you think it will work i can talk to my wife and they could most likely stay here.