PDA

View Full Version : Tevo for radio ??

JamesT
01-27-2004, 07:48 AM
Has anyone ever made a "Tevo" type thing for your radio?

What I was thinking about is a device that, when you heard a song, or some talk, you like and want to hear again soon, you push a button and the device records the song, you would then push the button again to stop recording. Then you could have library of songs/discussion in the device without the commercials that can be played back later.
If you somehow were able to store the information on RAM chips that had a constant voltage, you could have one in your vehicle. If you had to store the information on a disc/media the car type probably wouldn't work good (skipping would be a problem).
You might be able to take this one step further and have an output port that would allow you to download the songs/talk into a portable MP3 player.

I don't have the money or know to develope such a device, but I was thinking if someone did, this might be something that is marketable. With RAM chips this could be made fairly inexpensive. If anyone makes such a device from this board, I will know where you got the idea ;) .

Just a thought...

ChrisK
01-27-2004, 11:38 AM
It'll never happen because of copyright issues with the recording companies.

JamesT
01-27-2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by ChrisK
It'll never happen because of copyright issues with the recording companies.

Why would there be an appreciable difference between the "Tevo" application on a TV and a "Tevo" application to a radio, regarding copyright laws? I can see the copyright infringments if this device had an MP3 output, maybe. I think there was some case law that says, the public owns the air waves, not an entity. So if the music was broadcast in the air waves then, wouldn't it be public property?

I am not arguing, I just don't know. I know the music industry has been more vocal than other industries, that doesn't make their claims more valid though.

jeepsonly
01-27-2004, 01:03 PM
I have one for my pc that records radio at the push of a button.

I though I heard about such a device for the car radio but it may have just been a mod some private individual made. Some digital recorders have in input jack so on some radios you could connect a wire between the two and record for later playback. Not sure about quality, though, as the digital recorders I've seen use a lower quality/high compression scheme to mash as much audio as possible into memory.

ChrisK
01-27-2004, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by JamesT
I know the music industry has been more vocal than other industries, that doesn't make their claims more valid though.
yup, the music inustry is MUCH more vocal about this and enforces it much more. Think of it this way, in general, you want to music so you are supposed to buy it so the music industry makes money. The demand is pretty high. On the flip side, TV is just the opposite. They want you to watch so that their ratings will stay high and they can sell commercial time. They don't make money directly from you watching. They make money from selling commercials. If they upset you by getting nasty about recording, you will watch another channel , their ratings drop, and they don't sell commercials. The exception to this is pay per view. Their are no commercials and you want to watch so you pay, just like music. They restrict you from recording by putting it on channels higher than most VCRs reach.

JamesT
01-28-2004, 07:33 AM
I get it now, thanks.

So if radio stations payed song makers to play their music, they produced, then the entire Napster deal would be a dead issue.

Makes sense.

Qman
01-28-2004, 09:05 AM
i don't know about you but i don't have any trouble recording PPV's in fact the Cable box gives you the option when you buy the PPV...