PDA

View Full Version : 91+ XJ Front DS wanted....

jk_surgeonfish
04-23-2009, 09:36 AM
If anyone is looking to get rid of a 91+ XJ Front Driveshaft let me know....

Will buy depending on price...

Thanks.

Ok... I just realized I put this in the wrong thread... DUH on my part.

xjloverjesse
04-23-2009, 02:23 PM
naxja forum has 2

OlneyJeeps
04-23-2009, 04:11 PM
length (outside weld to outside of weld)?

jk_surgeonfish
04-23-2009, 06:34 PM
length (outside weld to outside of weld)?

I don't know the length yet as I am getting the parts to do a SYE. Going with RE hack n tap and then Spicer yoke flange. Then front DS.....

Thx.

OlneyJeeps
04-23-2009, 07:43 PM
then why not TJ front (has CV)?
does length not matter?

jk_surgeonfish
04-24-2009, 05:10 AM
That's a good question. I'm not sure if TJ front works or not. Everything I have read says to use XJ front for the rear.

OlneyJeeps
04-24-2009, 07:26 AM
That's a good question. I'm not sure if TJ front works or not. Everything I have read says to use XJ front for the rear.

well obviously the authors of what you read were not as smart / experienced / humble :mickey: as me!

TJ shafts use double cardigan cv joint, large tube (too early in morning to remember, think 2" )

I have TJ drive shaft w/CV needs new tube (dent/bend) $30 fair?
retube/balance should be $70 driveshaft exchange (to many bad things said about Dick's)

jk_surgeonfish
04-25-2009, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the offer. I'm going to pass for now. I'm still not sure if I need to install a SYE. I lifted 2.5 and have slight vibes. My wife says "what vibes?" as she can't tell what I am talking about. I can feel them and was told by one shop not to worry about it as they are minor. So, I think I will take down to Absolute Offroad and let them drive and they can tell me if anything to worry about.

OlneyJeeps
04-25-2009, 09:05 PM
If you haven't yet, pull rear driveshaft and lube or replace ujoints (factory ujoints non servicable). to lube pull one cap (others in vice or clamped ) use needle adapter for greese gun. Best is to replace with Spicer (yes there is a difference) joints. Cured vibes on my Sahara with 4.5 RE Xtreme flex, no sye

jk_surgeonfish
04-26-2009, 06:34 AM
If you haven't yet, pull rear driveshaft and lube or replace ujoints (factory ujoints non servicable). to lube pull one cap (others in vice or clamped ) use needle adapter for greese gun. Best is to replace with Spicer (yes there is a difference) joints. Cured vibes on my Sahara with 4.5 RE Xtreme flex, no sye

Good idea! I'll give that a try.

xjcrawlr
05-21-2009, 09:11 PM
U-joints seem to develop a bit of a "memory" to them. What I mean is, they set a wear pattern, and when you change the geometery, you change the wear pattern. The only way to fix it is new u-joints.

As for the front XJ shaft trick. It only works IF you have the following combination...

AW4 auto or AX-15 trans,
NP231 with SYE
Chryco 8.25 or D44 rear axle
2.5 to 5in of lift.

If you do not meet the above criteria, the shaft will not "bolt in".