PDA

View Full Version : Wheeling in Prescott

vintagetrks
04-17-2009, 10:22 PM
Hello Anybody know of any good places to wheel close to Prescott?

Bilt4Comfort
04-17-2009, 10:34 PM
Does Camp Wood have anything for Jeeps or is it primarily a quad/mx area?

Benjeepin2day
04-18-2009, 07:31 AM
Camp wood is primarily quads and bikes. You can go down the back way to Bagdad or out to the black pearl mine. but they are about 2-2.5 trails.

There is Smiley Rock also known as Martin Canyon that has maybe one section that could be a 3 depending on how people have stacked it. Mount union area has some neat old mine roads with good views but again about a 2-2.5 on most of them. There are couple of road off of White Spar or Hwy 89 S. out of Prescott. Most of them have tight brush. Let me know when you want to go and how long you want to be out and I can take you on some trails.

vintagetrks
04-18-2009, 09:20 PM
I will have to try and check those trails out within the next couple of weeks. This weekend I'm putting a 2'' spacer lift in my rig. Then some discos and some other odds and ends and she should be ready to run a 2 or 2.5 trail without much problem. Having a little trouble with my breaks though. I hope that they just need to be bled. otherwise will have to come up with some coin to replace either the powerbooster or master cylinder.

zman
04-23-2009, 07:23 PM
Desoto Mine by Dewey

vintagetrks
04-24-2009, 08:29 PM
Wheres the Desoto mine in Dewey? Can you get to off of 69?

JPTING
04-24-2009, 09:33 PM
X2 on Desoto mine. I start in Cleater, SP? and end up by Crown king, but go the other way and your into Prescott.

vintagetrks
04-24-2009, 09:58 PM
Whats the Desoto Mine trail rated at? my guide shows it as a difficult trail. I'm a beginning wheeler so is it that difficult a trail that I should not run it alone?

cjwheelin
05-06-2009, 07:03 AM
I would not run DeSoto, or Smiley Rock alone if your a beggining wheeler, they are not terribly hard trails, but enough that you can high centered and stuck pretty easily if your mostly stock or midly built rig. Most of Smiley rock is scenic untill you drop down into the creek, theres a few rock sections in there that vary from trip to trip, from people stacking or water pulling the rocks back out.

BKTJ_LJ04
05-06-2009, 01:12 PM
Dont run anything alone...my crew will be running turkey creek the weekend of june 6th. Depending on time and what not I would want to add Desoto Mine...

TrailJockey
05-06-2009, 10:19 PM
From what I know there's not a lot around Prescott itself other than forest roads. All the wheelers I know from Prescott come over here or go to Sedona. Sedona would be a good place to start as the trails are scenic and challenging for newcomers. Check out Flagstaff4Wheelers (http://flagstaff4wheelers.com) that's where I hang and plan runs all the time; we have a few members in the Prescott area and they’re all good people.

jaber
06-12-2009, 05:12 PM
Hey guys.

Just wanted to say "hi" to the virtual club. I'm a long time regular on the IFSJA.org and have been hearing about this site for a while now. My handle is the same over there. I have met a few of the local Jeepers and am always open to meet new friends.

Hope to be out with ya soon...

Digger
06-12-2009, 06:28 PM
I know a good place, it's near Walker. place called Eugene Ridge/Eugene Gulch. It's unknown to most, I stumbled on the area about a dozen years ago. This is a real cool area, I've been wanting to get up there again, the only sort of trail was a narrow overgrown hunters trail, then it opens up to this place that you wouldn't believe. Let me know when you're ready to explore this area and I'll come up and show ya the way in. ( not the weekend of the 4th, I'll be out of town)

Benjeepin2day
06-12-2009, 06:33 PM
I know a good place, it's near Walker. place called Eugene Ridge/Eugene Gulch. It's unknown to most, I stumbled on the area about a dozen years ago. This is a real cool area, I've been wanting to get up there again, the only sort of trail was a narrow overgrown hunters trail, then it opens up to this place that you wouldn't believe. Let me know when you're ready to explore this area and I'll come up and show ya the way in. ( not the weekend of the 4th, I'll be out of town)

Sunday?

Digger
06-12-2009, 07:51 PM
oh man, Saturday's would be best for me, cause I live in Phx/border Scottsdale. Traffic coming home on I 17 Sunday is a bear. Tomorrow I have plans, but how about next Saturday? I used to spend every weekend up in the Prescott area panning and metal detecting...kinda miss the place. Have you been down by Wolf Creek yet? There's some good scenery and some wheeling taking back trails down to Crown King from Prescott. Head down towards Potatoe Patch then towards Palace Station. Nice. Poland Junction is nice too. Let me know about Saturday's, see if I can round up a couple more jeepers and go visit ya. How's the Forest now, campfires allowed?

Digger
06-12-2009, 07:53 PM
Hi there jaber! you're welcome to join on any run, just look one up and say you'll be there :)

cjwheelin
06-12-2009, 07:54 PM
no fires allowed...depending on the day I would love to find the place your talking about...will keep an eye on this thread.

jaber
06-12-2009, 08:00 PM
I'm tied up for the next 4-6 weeks. Bummer. I'll have to catch a future one.:banghead::banghead:

Digger
06-12-2009, 08:01 PM
I call the area "white bones" up on Eugene Ridge, must be a cat up there, always white bones around (deer). some wheelin for sure, and some old history back there from trappers, military, and mining. found the coolest stuff. and there are some wheelin challenges, careful of a few open verticle mine shafts if you guys try to find the place. let me dig up an picture

Digger
06-12-2009, 08:12 PM
here's some stuff I found there. have to look through some more files to find other pics

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff310/DigsPics/Wickenburg/bottles1.jpg

Benjeepin2day
06-12-2009, 09:03 PM
oh man, Saturday's would be best for me, cause I live in Phx/border Scottsdale. Traffic coming home on I 17 Sunday is a bear. Tomorrow I have plans, but how about next Saturday? I used to spend every weekend up in the Prescott area panning and metal detecting...kinda miss the place. Have you been down by Wolf Creek yet? There's some good scenery and some wheeling taking back trails down to Crown King from Prescott. Head down towards Potatoe Patch then towards Palace Station. Nice. Poland Junction is nice too. Let me know about Saturday's, see if I can round up a couple more jeepers and go visit ya. How's the Forest now, campfires allowed?

No Camp fires. No smoking unless you are in an ENCLOSED vehicle. No open sparks or chains saws and stuff like that in Yavapai County. http://www.regionalinfo-alert.org/ I live about 3 mins from Wolf Creek. I used to prospect the area about 12 years ago. As soon as they lift the fire ban I was going to trim back forest road 97B that goes up and over Maverick Mountain and Mount Tritle and come out up by Mount Union. I trimmed the first 3 miles last weekend with just brush loppers by myself but the road gets a little hairy up further and I'm gonna wait till I get someone to go with me up the rest of the way. I'm afraid that if the road gets too overgrown it will become on of those quad only trails. Next weekend would work. If you would like to lead let me know and I will post it to Prescott 4X4 on Yahoo groups. If you want to limit the number of Jeeps let me know also. It is all up to you.

Thanks
Ben

Digger
06-12-2009, 11:06 PM
It's set then, I'll be up there next Saturday. You want to check out Eugene ridge? Or go the back roads down to Crown King? You know what Palace station is, right? I spent many years reading of historical events in the Bradshaws, then go and try to find evidence of the past. I had the pleasure of running into the last of the rail road and mining era guys. The stories I was told sitting around campfires... sigh.. they are long gone now.. most were about 75 years old. Except for this old couple that own the land that the Walnut Grove Dam was on, I saw them last year..they have so much history, had some real good information about when that dam broke. Never did find out what happened to the rider they sent to warn the towns of the dam about to break. he stopped at a saloon, got drunk, never warned the people. 80 people died because of that. You know about this piece of history? oh, time for sleep zzzzzz, taking doggies swimming and chase sticks and growlers tomorrow morning. talk later.