PDA

View Full Version : Bj staging area being closed

xjloverjesse
04-08-2009, 10:32 AM
We went out lastnite 4/7/09 to this area where we always go to get to the play hill and saw since last friday they have posted signs and planted new cactus of all types so we could not go up these hills.the signs stated no motor vehicals and new barb wire was starting to be installed we did get some pics i can post if anyone is intrested

OlneyJeeps
04-08-2009, 10:41 AM
We went out lastnite 4/7/09 to this area where we always go to get to the play hill and saw since last friday they have posted signs and planted new cactus of all types so we could not go up these hills.the signs stated no motor vehicals and new barb wire was starting to be installed we did get some pics i can post if anyone is intrested

Green gate still open? Seen this coming for a long time (been going there for almost 30years). Those side hills are NOT listed trails and repeted abuse (largely by atv's, but they are not the only guilty ones). First step in closing the whole area.

xjloverjesse
04-08-2009, 10:53 AM
yes the gate is still open you can still go up the main drag then head in but there in new wire there too someone cut through it its a sad thing we love going out there I hope they dont close it all

corwyyn
04-08-2009, 11:06 AM
One of the ASA4WDC meetings I went to last year had a talk by one of the ladies who worked for FS in the Tonto district (can't remember her name, she's now at Cave Creek) and she had mentioned that the BJ gate would eventually be closed once they got a route established from the Pobricito entrance. At the time it did not seem like they wanted to shut down access to the area, just move it away from Butcher Jones.

xjloverjesse
04-08-2009, 11:20 AM
I hope they dont close it completly

wild mustang
04-08-2009, 11:23 AM
maybe we can get a meeting scheduled to meet with the forest service and find out what is planned. i know i would be supportive of them to preserve access. if we know what is planned, then we can be of assistance.
the club has done a lot of vehicle recoveries and clean up out there. that will be points in our favor.
i will be leaving for flagstaff today. when i get back i will follow up. david c would be a good resource to find out who we should contact.

Lifes A Jeep
04-08-2009, 11:24 AM
You can get to the Coves from Four Peaks Road. That may be an alternative. Hopefully we'll be able to access each cove.

Post up the pics if can. I would like to see them.

xjloverjesse
04-08-2009, 11:31 AM
as far as I know the wash is still open this is the area near the play hill by the dirt road that goes to 4 peaks

xjloverjesse
04-08-2009, 11:33 AM
well hell whats the easy way to post the pics

LJYJ
04-08-2009, 11:37 AM
photo bucket

David C
04-08-2009, 12:28 PM
I have talked with a Tonto FS LEO about this and yes, the plan is to eventually close the green gate access. We will just need to go in from Pobrecito or Four Peaks Rd. I am normally against closing any access but by closing the green gate permanently (official access only), it will seriously reduce the number of torched vehicles left out there. And I really want to stop hauling those things out of there! So, this will be a good thing! It will just be a little longer trip to the coves and they might just be less crowded and will likely have less trash.

And post the pics for us, please.

amber.hodge
04-08-2009, 12:34 PM
:worthless:

get any pics of the areas they bordered off with cacti and barbed wire?

xjloverjesse
04-08-2009, 12:52 PM
im gonna load them to the photobucket today

amzlimoguy
04-08-2009, 12:54 PM
pobrecito entrance is the shut down place, As per XJlover Jessie.

LJYJ
04-08-2009, 12:55 PM
what ever!
now we have to wait!

K7VZ
04-08-2009, 12:59 PM
I have talked with a Tonto FS LEO about this and yes, the plan is to eventually close the green gate access. We will just need to go in from Pobrecito or Four Peaks Rd. I am normally against closing any access but by closing the green gate permanently (official access only), it will seriously reduce the number of torched vehicles left out there. And I really want to stop hauling those things out of there! So, this will be a good thing! It will just be a little longer trip to the coves and they might just be less crowded and will likely have less trash.

I had also heard this from a reliable source. They are just trying to change the main entrance from BJ to Pobrecito. ETA for completion was June or July.

xjloverjesse
04-08-2009, 01:13 PM
as long as you travel aways down the 4 peaks trail you can still head over but they have started to place wire on some of those turn offs we will be going back out tonite as long as my tires get put on anyone intrested

corwyyn
04-08-2009, 01:41 PM
as long as you travel aways down the 4 peaks trail you can still head over but they have started to place wire on some of those turn offs we will be going back out tonite as long as my tires get put on anyone intrested
Yeah you should be able to get to the coves from FR143 (4 Peaks Rd.), it just takes a bit more time. Don't think I'll have time to make a run out there tonite but I may go that way sometime next week.

It will just be a little longer trip to the coves and they might just be less crowded and will likely have less trash.

Less crowded, maybe. Less trash? Not as long as you can still access them by water. From what I've seen out there the folks in boats are just as messy as the folks in 4WD vehicles or the ATV crowd. Don't get me wrong I'd love to be proven wrong but I doubt it'll happen.

OlneyJeeps
04-08-2009, 01:58 PM
Those who have benn around a while :wheelchair: might remember then 80's when the gate was closed (revegitation following fire)

closing gate will reduce burnt cars there, will increase at probicito / sycamore

corwyyn
04-08-2009, 04:07 PM
Those who have benn around a while :wheelchair: might remember then 80's when the gate was closed (revegitation following fire)

closing gate will reduce burnt cars there, will increase at probicito / sycamore
I agree, it's really only going to move things around. Personally I'd like to see them do the area like Bulldog Canyon with the locks and permit system, and it may come to that if things don't improve out there.

LJYJ
04-08-2009, 04:21 PM
I agree, it's really only going to move things around. Personally I'd like to see them do the area like Bulldog Canyon with the locks and permit system, and it may come to that if things don't improve out there.

I was talking to someone down at te TNF and she was saying that there were going to be some changes that will affect only the trouble makers who use the area.
She understands that it is not the majority of offroaders who are destroying the area. Only a few select atv riders and those out to destroy.
She was talking about keeping the whole are open. Just going to make it harder for the bad crowd to get there.
The talk of having it the same way as the bulldog pass system is already in consideration.
the only problem is this will eventualy COST $$.
I will be talking to her again this week and will find out more!

Digger
04-08-2009, 04:35 PM
It's getting so bad in so many places, that I couldn't hold it again em if they did start charging for a special permit. If it keeps the little hoodlums away, it will be worth paying for permit. But I figure the way the hoodlums like to cause trouble and destroy stuff for no good reason and just because they think they can... they will.

xjloverjesse
04-08-2009, 05:47 PM
LjYj thanks for your input that helps alot id rather pay to play then not play at all were going out Friday if anyone wants to join in for a day of fun and oh ya TREAD LITE

LJYJ
04-08-2009, 05:49 PM
LjYj thanks for your input that helps alot id rather pay to play then not play at all were going out Friday if anyone wants to join in for a day of fun and oh ya TREAD LITE

What time friday. Its suposed to be rainy friday and saturday so I'm on STORM WATCH.
Cant get enough of it!

xjloverjesse
04-08-2009, 09:22 PM
we talked to all our people going were going to go sat pending weather i forgot it was gonna rain SUCKS but we will prob go anyway you can call if you wanna meet up Jesse or Mandi 480 446 9193

LJYJ
04-08-2009, 09:26 PM
I'm gonna go out to willow springs on saturday if its raining.
What sucks about the rain. thats the BEST time to wheel in arizona!

xjloverjesse
04-09-2009, 07:05 AM
i agree but witherill mamas wiper motor took a **** on her blazer

LJYJ
04-09-2009, 07:18 AM
HA HA HA H. Go steal a squeegy from durka durka gas station. .
J/K. Just gotta watch the weather. it changes hourly!

xjloverjesse
04-09-2009, 09:12 AM
where is the place your going located i dont think weve been there

LJYJ
04-09-2009, 08:47 PM
Willow springs is in bulldog canyon / goldfield mountains off of the 88 5 miles past the ghost town.

djui5
04-09-2009, 09:50 PM
Willow springs is in bulldog canyon / goldfield mountains off of the 88 5 miles past the ghost town.

Isn't that a 4.0 trail?

LJYJ
04-09-2009, 10:17 PM
There is some 4.0-4.6 stuff in there but what I'm gonna be playin with is around 3.0-3.5 :pinch: I just like it because its close and it gets (((DARK))) out there. cant see the city lights down in the canyons! and the lightning show is SIIIIIICK!

GOTMTNS
04-09-2009, 10:42 PM
There is some 4.0-4.6 stuff in there but what I'm gonna be playin with is around 3.0-3.5 :pinch: I just like it because its close and it gets (((DARK))) out there. cant see the city lights down in the canyons! and the lightning show is SIIIIIICK!

I always wanted to check that area out, mind if I tag along one of these days.

LJYJ
04-09-2009, 10:45 PM
dont mind at all. Its better with more people!. . Alot of history out there to check out.

GOTMTNS
04-09-2009, 10:55 PM
dont mind at all. Its better with more people!. . Alot of history out there to check out.

Sounds good, did every part of bull dog except that one when I had my old TJ. I love running out there, always quieter.

zeitlerusmc
04-10-2009, 10:34 AM
hey xjlover, this was an interesting read, thanks for letting me know. i have been going out there for only about ten years, but where is this portobicto or what ever entrence??

xjloverjesse
04-10-2009, 11:21 AM
THE NEXT ENTRANCE JUST TO THE NORTH OF THE bj ENTRANCE

David C
04-10-2009, 11:46 PM
hey xjlover, this was an interesting read, thanks for letting me know. i have been going out there for only about ten years, but where is this portobicto or what ever entrence??

Pobrecito Boat Waiting Area is the full, official name of the paved parking lot on Bush Hwy about 1/2 mile north of Butcher Jones Rd. that is always closed except a few Sat/Sun in the summer when Saguaro Lake reaches boat capacity. There is a cattle guard/gate into the wash behind the lot that is access to The Rolls OHV Area (another official name - for the trails and washes around Butcher Jones and The Coves all the way up to 4 Peaks Rd).

And for Willow Springs, make sure you have the Bulldog Canyon Permit. I love that trail! It doesn't get 4.0 until about 3 miles back in there.

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7688&d=1160460783

LJYJ
04-10-2009, 11:59 PM
Anyone want to go with me to willow springs tomorow/today?

David C
04-11-2009, 12:08 AM
Anyone want to go with me to willow springs tomorow/today?

Wish I could! Just not enough time.

rvisokey
04-15-2009, 06:43 PM
Just be careful how far back through Willow Springs you go. My understanding is that where it becomes 4.0 is a no-vehicle zone. However, I could be wrong? There is another thread on this forum just recently about it.