PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite to Toroweep / Tuweep N Rim GC

pschoggens
03-28-2009, 09:40 PM
Hi,

I am base in San Diego and am planning a trip to Tuweep/Toroweep on the north rim of the grand canyon. My problem is, I cannot seem to find anyone will wheeling experience in this area. I did down load some tracks from gpsexchange from a motorcycle expedition 2 years ago that left out of Mesquite in a south SE direction on white rock road passing the Mt Whitney lookout tower aprox 8 miles due east using the road down cotton wood wash. Then the direction changes eastward just south of the Pakoon Admin site on Nutter Twists Rd which follows the northern edge of the Grand Cliffs Wilderness area and goes through Hidden Canyon on the east side and then turns south toward the Poverty Admin site. Aprox 1 mile north of the Poverty Admin site a 120* turn is made to get up onto the mesa, then it looks pretty easy on the north side of Poverty Mt over the the Trumbull schoolhouse, then the south side of Mt Trumbull and south to Tuweep campgrounds. This is aprox 100miles on dirt and It would be nice to speak to someone who has driven this area that could help me to properly rate the run. I have google earth the area and it is hard to really see what the roads are like.

I drive a Rubicon on 35s with 4:88s. I have a winch, welder, 2m ham, and compressor on board, no body damage but plenty of rock rash on the rims, rails, and undercarriage. I dont want to rock crawl for 100miles but would like some challenge greater than a fire road. An occasional rock garden is appreciated.

I spoke with an old BLM volunteer who drove a stock jeep and told me I needed 6ply sides and 2 spares. I am hoping he exaggerated as to how abrasive the shale rock on the roads are, although he had never hear of nutter twists road or was familiar with the CR-5 rd either. The BLM guy did mail me the 2006 BLM AZ strip map which has these reference points I described to aid you to see my route, if you know the area.

He did highlight some roads about 16 miles north of my run and I will take that on the way out.

Look forward to your response and if you do not have knowledge first hand, could you FWD this to someone who does?

I will make this run Monday May 11th- 14th 2009 and have reserved 6 campsites at the Toroweep camp grounds.

I do not like to assume and I feel he has my best interest at heart.

thank you

Powell

RokNRich
03-28-2009, 10:02 PM
Hi,

I drive a Rubicon on 35s with 4:88s. I have a winch, welder, 2m ham, and compressor on board, no body damage but plenty of rock rash on the rims, rails, and undercarriage. I dont want to rock crawl for 100miles but would like some challenge greater than a fire road. An occasional rock garden is appreciated.

My dad goes up there a couple of times a year, they are based in Kingman. The time I went with him (about 15 years ago ? ) the roads were pretty tame. There was a couple of spots where the road was a little rocky, but not too bad......a spare tire (along with plugs, etc.) and spare gas at the minimum. Take spare food and water too, pretty isolated up there and will start getting hot in May......

I wasn't really rockcrawling back then, but I'd be willing to bet you can find some stuff to play on if you looked :)

Hopefully someone else will chime in with more recent experience. If I'm not going crazy, I think there are a few writeups on the net about this trip/area as well, but don't recall seeing anyone on here posting a trip report.

PS - Didn't the schoolhouse burn down ?

Edit, links -

http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/features/0604_4wd_grand_canyon_jeep/index.html

http://www.arizonahandbook.com/AZ_strip_western.htm

p14175
04-06-2009, 11:44 AM
The school house burned down a few years ago.

Your might check out
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=750064