PDA

View Full Version : Forward Control Jeeps

TLowery04
03-15-2009, 04:08 AM
I am looking to buy two barn stored FC Jeeps in a few months. One is a '59 and the other i believe is a 63 ish both 4wd dont know much else about them other than the original owner may be getting rid of them some day to make room

I was wondering if anyone had any information on well, anything about these including what parts are available or swap in, prefered modifications etc.

In my mind there are two with straight bodies and no rust so im going to roll with that assumption and hope that i can make one a restored original probably the '59 and the other a farm truck slash trail rig.

but it will all depend on parts, work needed and god knows what else.

-Trent

OlneyJeeps
03-15-2009, 09:30 AM
parts mostly interchangeable with truck parts
"big" club locally has party every year
I will try to fing Jessie's phone #
4Wheelers has books for and a lot of parts for 602-273-7195

TRobertsRN
03-15-2009, 10:19 AM
I have never seen one in person. My knowledge of them comes from how they are similar to Willys Pickups and Wagons, as well as what I have read.

Would not recommend off road for anything serious. Not ony top heavy, but front heavy.

They had a tendancy to flip end over end even on the street when the brakes were applied going down hill without a load.

Same axles, transmissions, and transfers as the Willys Pickup and Wagon of the day. Dana 25 up front with closed knuckles, T-90 transmission, Spicer 18 transfer. Not sure about the rear axles.

Good choices for upgrade axles are older Scout Dana 44's if you want the same bolt pattern. Full size Cherokee/Wagoneer, and J-Truck axles will work well with less modification but are 6 lug. If you plan a high steer conversion with Dana 44 you will need flat knuckles.

The Spicer 18 is a good transfer and easy (but not cheap) to add an overdrive to without a change in drive shaft length.

There are many different configurations of these including fire trucks, ambulances, flat beds, 4 doors, pick up style, and so on.

What do the ones you might get look like?

TRobertsRN
03-15-2009, 10:23 AM
Around '58 or '59 the 150 got a wider track from 48 inches to 57 so the two you are looking at would be more stable than the older ones.

JamesT
03-15-2009, 10:46 AM
I think Russel had one you might be able to ask him questions. Find the Rockrats and ask for 2gnarley.

TLowery04
03-15-2009, 10:09 PM
well i have to admit its been about a year since i have seen them one has the camper with canvas sides, both are pickup style single cab and have been sitting in a barn in Oklahoma since i want to say the mid 80's. The only reason i know they are still there is that the friend of our family who owns them came around to buy eggs and i asked about them and he tossed out some arbitrary number if he were to sell them but i was told later on that if i were to ask his wife i could have them for less, not sure if i want to go that route though selling your husbands jeep from under his nose is a damnable offense in most circles. And only topped by the person who did the circumventing lol.

I am planning a move to Oklahoma this summer so I'll be a bit out of range for clubs in state. Unfortunately jeeps don't have near the following out there that they enjoy here. But i will be back often for visits to family and junkyards.

I had not planned on anything major for wheeling i just thought it would be cool to put it up on 31 or 33 inch shoes and be able to get through Oklahoma's muddy back roads and camping areas without a problem.

i also don't know yet if they are 150's or 170's or a mix.

I might be the only completely addicted jeeper in my area of Oklahoma when i get out there... good thing is that almost everyone knows how to weld and fab so i can pick that up real fast. Which would be essential given i am at best a shade tree mechanic who likes to experiment.

this is also probably happening in the next 5 mos or so, im not in a big hurry but i would like to know what i'm getting into before i get all excited about a new project.

-Trent