PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Netflix for DVD Rentals?

Joe West
01-10-2004, 11:46 PM
Hi Gang,

I've had a few people tell me that Netflix is a good way to rent DVDs from the net... something like 1-2 day delivery (I guess they have a warehouse in Phoenix) from the time you place your order and no late fees since they just keep mailing you more movies as you send back the ones you watch.

Anyone use them? I'm SOOOOO tired of renting from Blockbuster and forgetting to return and then getting hit with late fees... $20 per month for all the movies I can watch seems like it should be a good deal.

Comments?

Joe

jeep108
01-11-2004, 02:08 AM
Joe

Netflix is great.My dad gets movies from them then he gives them to me and I send them back.I think they have a free trial thing on their web site you can check out.

Ken U

GRHolmes
01-11-2004, 09:30 AM
Joe:

I have a program with Blockbuster where I can have 2 movies in my pocession as long as I want or I can check out the movies, watch them and then go back and check out more the same day if I choose to. Approx. $20-$24 per month and I can go down whenever I want to get the movies, not wait for the mail.

I had Netflix before and switched to this offer when it came out. I like it much better.

Gary Holmes

jeepsonly
01-21-2004, 08:12 AM
We've been Netflix members for almost 4 years now and love it. I was so tired of paying late fees and I think I'm actually saving money. That and I don't need to go to the store to get the movies.

I send back a movie and have the next one in two days and it's all postpaid so no stamps. I've had movies from them that I've kept for almost 6 months and then sent back with no late fees. It's worth it to me.

mesa
01-21-2004, 10:36 AM
The only problem I ever had was all the newer movies were out and you had to wait awhile. But that was awhile ago.

mhoyt
01-21-2004, 05:37 PM
I was a member of NetFlix for about 5 years (1999-2003), a friend of mine worked for the company and let me know about it.

It was great for the first few years, $11.95 a month unlimited rental and you could have as many as 10 movies out as long as you accounted for them on their website.

I ended up dropping NetFlix due to rising cost (understandable)accompanied with poor customer service, abused DVD's that did not work when they arrived and lack of availability for recent releases. (My buddy had left due to other poor practices by the silicon valley company).

I have heard they have gotten better...a current member would have to comment.

As someone else mentioned, blockbuster does have a program for ~ the same cost where you can have a few movies out without paying late fees.

my .02 worth

-Mike

jeepsonly
01-21-2004, 11:44 PM
Let me answer a few of those issues, as a 4 year member. I've had to wait for only one new release over the 4 years. We order new release dvd's pretty often and are surprised to get them in the mail the next day. We've rented something like 100+ DVD's over those 4 years and have had 2 that I recall turn out to be damaged. We reported them damaged and got replacements within 1 or 2 business days. I pay $20 for 4 dvds at home but I'm grandfathered in. I think the current plan is $22 for 3 dvds. It's still a whole lot cheaper than paying late fees at the local DVD rental places, though I haven't checked out Blockbuster's new plan. But Netflix has an INCREDIBLE selection of DVDs and I'd venture to say the local Blockbuster has the most famous and most current dvds only.

mhoyt
01-22-2004, 07:19 PM
As I stated, I was a member for 5 years and during that time my experience was not as trouble free or satisfying than yours.

I was member during NetFlix's startup and early years, so many of my issues may have been due to growing pains, etc... Regardless, I felt the service was no longer worth the cost.

my .02 worth

-Mike Hoyt

chrisboettge
01-22-2004, 10:55 PM
I work for a company where this is one of the products we sell..... don't worry I'm not a salesman. Some of the guys in my store have an account with netflix and it works very well for them. Apparently there's 150,000 titles available, and I'm not sure if this is a good gauge, but their stock is about to split. Whoever has had stock in that company for a couple years is about to make some money.

NVRSTUKTJ
01-23-2004, 07:41 AM
the SOB's charged me thousand$ for videos I didn't get, then they cleaned out my checking account and totally screwed up my credit.......

At least they did in the nightmares I had last nite......:D ....wow, see what you guys did to me????????

OTR-93YJ
06-19-2015, 05:21 PM
Does anyone know if there is a way to see what is playing on netflix without using the DVD player? Is it on the web some where? I ask because i absolutely hate going through all the time it takes to load netflix and then not finding something to watch. It seems like they would have a listing somewhere else.

Thanks in advance.

OTR-93YJ
06-19-2015, 05:23 PM
Also, does anyone know if netflix takes suggestions for what to show?

JGzCrush
06-19-2015, 05:24 PM
Does anyone know if there is a way to see what is playing on netflix without using the DVD player? Is it on the web some where? I ask because i absolutely hate going through all the time it takes to load netflix and then not finding something to watch. It seems like they would have a listing somewhere else.

Thanks in advance.

Netflix is available on every "smart" device these days with an app download. You can go direct to their website on your computer. Watching flix has never been easier! Lol 2004!

OTR-93YJ
06-19-2015, 05:26 PM
Cool. I just made the jump to a samsung galaxy 5 so I'll check it out. Thanks.

JGzCrush
06-19-2015, 05:26 PM
Also, does anyone know if netflix takes suggestions for what to show?

It suggests what you may want.. Unless you shared with your kids, then it's all jacked up!

OTR-93YJ
06-19-2015, 05:35 PM
I should be good then. My "kid" is 30 and lives elswhere!

I got pissed when they removed Tombstone, ghostbusters 1 & 2 and independence day. I'd like to suggest they bring those back. If they don't, I'd like to suggest they pull each others nose hairs for a while.

TreeKiller
06-19-2015, 05:41 PM

Thanks in advance.

Yeah man, you can create playlists, cue your DVD selection and your instant streaming selection, etc from your computer at netflix.com, etc.

Scott

OTR-93YJ
06-19-2015, 05:47 PM
How funny. I've been logging in and spending 30 minutes looking through ****ty film titles just to turn the damn thing off again. Thanks. I guess I need to learnt this stuff.

TreeKiller
06-19-2015, 05:50 PM
How funny. I've been logging in and spending 30 minutes looking through ****ty film titles just to turn the damn thing off again. Thanks. I guess I need to learnt this stuff.

I Like Netflix, but haven't used it as much lately as in the past. I think my GF never sent back a DVD from 6 months ago because she lost the mail sleeve for it or something, but we've continued to pay for it, so have just been using the streaming movies, etc. Some of the new Netflix original series shows are good though, for example Orange is the New Black.

Scott

JGzCrush
06-19-2015, 05:51 PM
I Like Netflix, but haven't used it as much lately as in the past. I think my GF never sent back a DVD from 6 months ago because she lost the mail sleeve for it or something, but we've continued to pay for it, so have just been using the streaming movies, etc. Some of the new Netflix original series shows are good though, for example Orange is the New Black.

Scott

I agree!

House of Cards is a kick *** series too!

OTR-93YJ
06-19-2015, 05:54 PM
Wait, you can actually receive dvd's in the mail? I thought it was just a streaming thing from the interweb to the dvd player to the TV?

I know me. I'm going to go buy Tombstone, the Ghostbusters set and independence day and just be happy!

teddyearp
06-19-2015, 06:01 PM
I am afraid we are going to have a rash of necroposts . . . . . . . And I am guilty as well . . . . .

OTR-93YJ
06-19-2015, 06:27 PM
Probably, and it sucks that it's going to happen on the weekend and I'm going to miss it. Even that kind of fun is not enough to make me log on during the weekend.

To all of you who will be banned this weekend, wheel safe! See you on the trails!