PDA

View Full Version : T-18 Sawzall Mod.

AZScr4mbl3r
01-01-2009, 02:23 PM
Hay,

I am trying to install twin sticks on my CJ-7 with two OEM dana 300 sticks.
I have a Ford T-18 which has a pesky riser that interferes with the second stick.

I am trying to sawzall it off. I will need a new blade soon and wanted to know if there is a recommended blade to cut the cast iron tranny case??? I have a crappy no name one now and it is sloooow......

Thanks,

-Allen

ob1jeeper
01-01-2009, 04:26 PM
May I suggest you try a cut-off wheel on a small grinder such as a die-grinder...;)

AZScr4mbl3r
01-01-2009, 05:37 PM
I am lucky I have room for the nose of the sawzall.... Not being a smart***** but I said there isn't room for the shifter.. I am about half way through it now but it is slow going..

Maybe ACE will have a nuce cheap carbide one tomorrow,

Thanks for the response though,

-Allen

SavageSun4x4
01-01-2009, 08:13 PM
For cast iron, get a carbide blade. It does not have any teeth, it looks like a blade with an ugly weld along the edge.

Can't find one? I have several new ones laying around, just let me know.

AZScr4mbl3r
01-02-2009, 02:24 PM
Hay,

Thanks!!! I am going to need it I went back and sawzalled some more today and my sawzall died....:aagh:

I bought two broken ones at the flea market and got one running after replacing the armature but the trigger was flaky on both which is what broke today.. I should be able to fix it OK but man what a week both of my compressors died I have caps for them OTW and then my generator started hunting/surging yesterday no verdict on it yet I just pulled the carb to see if it is dirty.... of course with no real compressor my tire gets a slow leak so I am using the plug into the cigar lighter compressor....

Thanks again for the blade it was the bright spot of my week..

-Allen
edit:
Got the old makita fixed!!! I hate taking switches apart all those tiny springs......

SavageSun4x4
01-02-2009, 03:28 PM
Hay,

Thanks!!! I am going to need it I went back and sawzalled some more today and my sawzall died....:aagh:

I bought two broken ones at the flea market and got one running after replacing the armature but the trigger was flaky on both which is what broke today.. I should be able to fix it OK but man what a week both of my compressors died I have caps for them OTW and then my generator started hunting/surging yesterday no verdict on it yet I just pulled the carb to see if it is dirty.... of course with no real compressor my tire gets a slow leak so I am using the plug into the cigar lighter compressor....

Thanks again for the blade it was the bright spot of my week..

-Allen
edit:
Got the old makita fixed!!! I hate taking switches apart all those tiny springs......
Catch Harbor Fright for the cut off wheels and saws. Under $20 bucks, I have 6 of them hung on my welding cart with assorted disks on them.

AZredneck1862
01-03-2009, 12:56 AM
Catch Harbor Fright for the cut off wheels and saws. Under $20 bucks, I have 6 of them hung on my welding cart with assorted disks on them.

i was about to say why dont you just buy a new cheap *** sawzall

AZScr4mbl3r
01-03-2009, 03:26 AM
Hay,

I thought getting two Makitas from the flea market for under $20.00 and repairing one was a cheap solution.... OK actually I was rescuing them...:smug:

I broke my crappy ChiComm one long ago trimming bushes...

-Allen

Here's the lil' beauty resting just prior to her switch-o-plasty

AZScr4mbl3r
01-04-2009, 09:24 AM
Hay,

Progress! I got my riser sawzalled off the T-18..:smug:
Now on to fitting the twin sticks which are two stock levers (see pix).
They still need fine tuned but they clear the hole I cut in the hump so that is a beginning. My freebie 1979 cj7 tub started life as an auto/quadratrac.
I may have gone to far bending them for separation what do yall think?
They are around 6 inches apart at the knobs...I'll get new pix installed soon...

-Allen