PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Geocaching Question

schneiderdn
12-24-2008, 02:17 PM
I'm new to the Geocaching thing, but it seems interesting and could add some fun to exploring the outdoors. However, are most of the caches buried? I'm assuming they're at least hard to spot, otherwise every non-geocaching person walking by would pick it up and/or throw it out. Yes/no? Also, are they always containers of some sort, or can they also be random items (i.e. a key chain, piece of chalk, etc...)

mingoglia
12-24-2008, 02:22 PM
I'm new to the Geocaching thing, but it seems interesting and could add some fun to exploring the outdoors. However, are most of the caches buried? I'm assuming they're at least hard to spot, otherwise every non-geocaching person walking by would pick it up and/or throw it out. Yes/no? Also, are they always containers of some sort, or can they also be random items (i.e. a key chain, piece of chalk, etc...)

Urban caches (the ones in town) are typical Altoids tins or similar. They're usually microcaches and you'll find them for example magnetized and stuck under a park bench.

In the desert the caches are typically ammo boxes, tupperware, etc. They're usually in a bush covered with twigs, or most commonly covered with rocks under a bush somewhere or at the base of a mountain. They're not easily spotted by people not looking for them but often times if you do know where they are you can try to look for a pile of rocks stacked on top of each other.

Caches will always have a log in them to write your team name. Urban caches typically only have the log or you may have something tiny like a miniature rubber lizard or something like that. The larger caches can have just about anything in them that's relatively inexpensive. Usually .99 cent store items. It's common to find emergency poncho's, cheap compasses, AA batteries (to replace gps batteries), etc. Sometimes you'll find food or ammo. If you find EITHER of those items, remove them. We don't need animals coming down finding human food...and we don't need kids that geocache coming across ammunition. :)

Mike

fjcarena
12-24-2008, 02:32 PM
I have done a little geocaching, The ones I have found were a magnetic key box, A pill bottle,a zip lock baggie inside a piece of pipe, they were all tucked behind something so a person just walking would not see them and they all had a sheet to sign. I have heard some of the offroad ones are in ammo boxes with rocks piled around them. One of the guys i work with found one and it was a fake bird in a tree. It was fun trying to find them. You never know what it might be. Have to start doing this again.

k7mto
12-24-2008, 03:12 PM
Geocaches are rarely, if ever, buried. They're typically just well hidden (sometimes in plain sight).

I haven't cached for years, but one of my first placed caches is one of the world's oldest active caches...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=146

pickelltree
02-17-2009, 08:57 PM
i have never came across a burried cache, i have only 140 finds in many different states including mexico. there is a size meter on the cache page on the web site that will give you the approximent size of the cache. most are ammo boxes with a few rock over the top of it.

LJYJ
02-17-2009, 09:09 PM
Why. You gonna go find the ones in bulldog canyon?:)
With all of the rain we have been having alot of them will be on the top but some near river beds and such may be burried and slightly moved.
I'm setting up 2 some time this week in the desert 3.5 and 5 miles NE of 85220. Keep a the lookout for them on the Geo page.

rckound
02-17-2009, 09:57 PM
Yeah, Bulldog Canyon's got a few in there. Always liked checking them out while out for a ride. Weather is going to be getting really nice about now with wildflowers blooming soon as well. Maybe there will be a Geocacher's run sometime.

cosninocanines
02-18-2009, 07:24 AM
Caches should never be buried! However some hidden in rocks and crevices can be very difficult to spot, caches in rock piles are also difficult but stay with it and you will find 'em. We have found them from tiny "nano" the size of an eraser head to huge a fifty five gallon drum and some very interesting ones such as plastic cactus, pinecone, fake rock and our all time favorite a fake fire hydrant (located in front of a fire station in rural Ohio).

PeoriaXK
02-18-2009, 08:57 AM
Been caching for a few years now, have a few caches in teh garage that I plan to hide in the far west valley soon. You are not suposed to bury them but some are hidden real well. We have one that is a 5 Gallon plant bucket which is buried but the cover is a lift off on the surface level.