PDA

View Full Version : Road conditions from you guys up north.

DirtyKorean
12-23-2008, 11:10 PM
Is anyone up in the showlow,pinetop,lakeside area I'm heading up that way this weekend and wondering how the roads are loooking for you guys up there.

I'm kind of nervous as this is going to be my first time driving in winter conditions.

but I guess it could be worse for me, my sister is in Tiger, Oregon and she hasn't been to work in a week and there is ice galore up that way she said.

Thanks Jason Diff.

cosninocanines
12-24-2008, 08:42 AM
Try this link to ADOT Road Conditions

http://www.az511.com/hcrsweb/hcrsweb.jsp

Hunter
12-24-2008, 09:03 AM
Nice. I needed that.

katvans
12-24-2008, 09:05 AM
Is anyone up in the showlow,pinetop,lakeside area I'm heading up that way this weekend and wondering how the roads are loooking for you guys up there.

I'm kind of nervous as this is going to be my first time driving in winter conditions.

but I guess it could be worse for me, my sister is in Tiger, Oregon and she hasn't been to work in a week and there is ice galore up that way she said.

Thanks Jason Diff.

Jason

If you are coming this weekend you could be in for a tough time. I just heard they have about 16" now in Pinetop and by Fri evening the high country is expecting another foot with snow down to about 3500'. Once you are over the rim you are at 6500 to over 7000 ft, we are about 6600 here in Overgaard.

Here in Heber, Overgaard we have about 5" on the ground and the roads are mostly clear and snow packed in some areas, expected to start snowing tonight and continue right through Fri. The top of the rim and into Forest Lakes gets it the worst so they will have much more but plows should have it down to just snow packed sometime Fri. It just depends on how long the storm lasts and how bad it is.

What are you driving and when are you coming?? You should have 4 wheel drive and at least AT tires and chains available would not hurt if you need them. Bring food, water and plenty of warm clothes in case you get stuck if the storm is bad. Better add a shovel to that list.

My jeep has a winch and if you have problems or get stuck you can try my cell at 602-320-1431 but cell coverage is spotty once you leave Star Valley. If things get really bad and you are stranded you can put up at my place in Overgaard. My wife and I will be here until Dec 29 except for Sat when I plan to do a snow run with the HCR and the ARC if I can get out.

No matter what you drive if conditions are bad air down to help with traction and drive slow.

Good luck and have a great, safe holiday season.

Antman
12-24-2008, 09:08 AM
Gees Rich, you are becoming a regular high country Guru!:)

Bilt4Comfort
12-24-2008, 09:11 AM
You could take the 60 to Show Low and avoid the higher elevations on the rim...but with this storm rolling in, Globe will probably get some too. Just drive at speeds appropriate for conditions. Hitting the brakes hard on slick roads only makes you go faster. If you drive a stick with a lot of torque...be careful when letting off the throttle...use the clutch.

katvans
12-24-2008, 09:11 AM
Or you could go up the other way through Globe, have no idea what conditions that way would be.

Good luck

Hunter
12-24-2008, 09:14 AM
I am heading to Flag early Friday morning to surprise my parents for Christmas. I am expecting nasty, nasty conditions... Ha ha! I am praying for it.

katvans
12-24-2008, 09:15 AM
Gees Rich, you are becoming a regular high country Guru!:)

I learnt it all from you and since you are not here to help out I considered it my civic duty to inform.

Hope you are having a great time down there. If you come up this week stop over.

Have a great holiday and say hey to Diane for us, Kathy should be here in a few hours.

DirtyKorean
12-24-2008, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the info I saved your number in my cell hoping ATT will not let me down.

Ya I have 4 wheel drive thank god, just bought some new tires off craigslist some faulkens up front and then I got some BFG 30's on the back will have to do but it's better then the 31's I had no tread left on those.

Ya really need to throw a emergency pack together.

Thank you everyone for your help so far.

slickrrr
12-24-2008, 08:11 PM
last time I headed to sunrise and things were bad they closed the 260 down, the amber alert sign filled me in at fort mcdowell, had to go back down to the 60 and through globe, I have been told by friends with a place in pine top to always take 60 east through globe and on up instead of 87 through payson and 260 over when you expect bad conditions, my 2cts

tpuckett
12-24-2008, 08:46 PM
as of tonight the roads are open in town and clear but that will change with this storm coming. be safe, have extra gear incase of problems,and bring chains if needed

RubiJk
12-25-2008, 12:14 AM
I am heading up to PTop myself. Not quite sure when yet and keeping an eye on this storm. I am thinking of going on Sat, and am flexible. Two vehicles are always better than one. If you want to caravan, let me know. I do this trek often, and in some bad weather too. Unless you are in the middle of a storm, they do a great job of keeping the roads plowed. Then it is mostly the ice to deal with. I avoid early morning and late afternoon. Try to keep the sun on the black top and it can help a little. Going through Globe is a decent alternative, in the right conditions. If the snow is to low elevations, you can have a rough time either way. Also, those canyon roads are pretty twisty. Like Katvans explained, the worst part is between Star Valley and almost to Heber. Another good reason to go in the middle of the day is to avoid Elk. ...just a reminder to keep an eye out. Here is my cell # 480-236-4129. Call if you want to possibly drive together or at least throw it in your phone in case you need some help.

DirtyKorean
12-25-2008, 02:21 PM
Ya I started packing a emergency bag since I couldn't sleep last night, my in laws are driving up with us in the Dodge we are leaving friday morning at 7, I have to find out which way they are going.

here is my cell as well 480-516-5773 my first time was heading to flag two years back and spun out just outside of camp verde poop'd my pants.

MrClean
12-26-2008, 12:18 AM
My girlfriend and I just went up 87 to Payson, and cut over to Heber and then to the 40 on Tuesday night. Up to Payson was decent and clear, but between there and Heber was terrible. I'm from Northern IL so I'm used to the crap weather and all the winter driving, but that was bad. Ice covered mountain roads, drifting snow, and fog so I could barely see 10 feet in front of me. It cleared up after Heber until we got right around the AZ/NM border. Then when we came back through yesterday afternoon/evening we went back to Heber, cut down to Show Low, Globe, and on to Mesa. That was all clear, with no problems at all. Just be careful and be prepared for the unexpected.

DirtyKorean
12-29-2008, 04:06 PM
Thank you for those that gave me info hit some rough conditions friday morning.

Threw it in 4HI at christopher creek and pretty much the whole way up, friday night it was pretty bad started coming down, got to play in the snow with the it didn't get stuck at all, did learn that cold weather will mess with the starter so it's time to change that thing out with a new one, Loose battery cables will cause the engine to not start when your trying to beat the rush of people that want to leave the ski resort.

OH last but not least not having a heater SUCKS so bad that your your toes feel like they are falling off.