PDA

View Full Version : 2009 4Peaks Clean-Up

flyingwen
12-16-2008, 08:42 PM
Well, its about that time of year again.
Four Peaks Pickup is going to be on February 7th, 2009.
Those not familiar with last years effort check out http://www.fourpeakspickup.blogspot.com.
Last year a Mr Hunter was kind enough to bring out the awesome Sheriff mobile to help keep things in order:
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i72/nanuk2121/th_DSC00164.jpg (http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i72/nanuk2121/?action=view&current=DSC00164.jpg)

I hope we can get another nearly 300 volunteers out to clean up another 7 tons of trash!! Hopefully there won't be any burnt out FJ Cruisers this year that need to be drug out!

What I need to help out: Gloves, shovels, water, lunch, trash dumpsters, porta-jons, press and anything else you think may help! Just spreading the word on another forum you're on helps immensely!

Thanks for all of your help last year and we hope to see you again this year!!!

:fashizzle:

Donate the the event Here (http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=865)

04jeeptj
12-16-2008, 09:00 PM
Was nice to be involved this year in the cleanup, will try to make it again. It was nice to see so many people helping, and it was definitely needed.

Pictures from last year: http://www.jeepanywhere.com/4peaks/

flyingwen
12-16-2008, 09:06 PM
It is great to help out the environment and keep the trails open, but it is also so great to see all those bad a@@ rigs!

urbex
12-16-2008, 10:51 PM
It is great to help out the environment and keep the trails open, but it is also so great to see all those bad a@@ rigs!

Since you put it that way...I suppose I'll bring the XJ out there :D

AZLugz
12-17-2008, 06:04 AM
Posted on the 4x4Him forum.

KreationKrawlers will be there again to help, let us know if you need anything Tim

flyingwen
12-17-2008, 07:35 AM
Thanks for posting it up on a different forum. Also, if you guys belong to other groups (hiking, biking etc) or know any people interested, PLEASE bring them along!

Hunter
12-17-2008, 07:48 AM
Thanks for leading this again. I will do what I can to get back out there.

arczech
12-17-2008, 08:34 AM
Post it on the calender,,, We should be there, just have to wait till it gets closer

SOAZ
12-18-2008, 04:15 PM
Thanks Bill for your continued support.

Thanks to the whole VJC for all of the many members that showed up last year!!

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i190/soaz/Trips%20and%20Adventures/1-6-08%204%20Peaks/4peaks-1-1.jpg

A bit of last year:

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i190/soaz/Trips%20and%20Adventures/1-6-08%204%20Peaks/FourPeaksThankyou.jpg

flyingwen
12-20-2008, 04:55 PM
Hey everyone!

Sierra Expeditions is accepting monetary donations for 4 Peaks Clean Up Here (http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=865).
Last year Tim, SOAZ, put a couple thousand dollars of his own money toward this event and I would like to lessen the burden on him. Also, any money left over will be split evenly between Disabled Explorers (www.disabledexplorers.com) and KarmaRacer (www.karmaracer.org).

Tis the season right?
Happy Holidays and I hope to meet everyone at the 4 Peaks Clean Up

SOAZ
12-24-2008, 07:12 PM
I went up to the Four Peaks and Sycamore area today. (the cleanup will be in both areas)
There is plenty of trash, especially on the sycamore side.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i190/soaz/Four%20Peaks%20Pickup%2009/4peakspickup056.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i190/soaz/Four%20Peaks%20Pickup%2009/4peakspickup055.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i190/soaz/Four%20Peaks%20Pickup%2009/4peakspickup052.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i190/soaz/Four%20Peaks%20Pickup%2009/4peakspickup007.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i190/soaz/Four%20Peaks%20Pickup%2009/4peakspickup046.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i190/soaz/Four%20Peaks%20Pickup%2009/4peakspickup024.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i190/soaz/Four%20Peaks%20Pickup%2009/4peakspickup036.jpg

Sadly, the forest service has fenced off almost every area that we cleaned last year. Sad, because closing off areas seems to be the only thing they can do to keep areas clean. Also, this just forces the shooters to other areas to trash. It doesn't prevent it. Nice, because the areas stay clean...
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i190/soaz/Four%20Peaks%20Pickup%2009/4peakspickup014.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i190/soaz/Four%20Peaks%20Pickup%2009/4peakspickup015.jpg

Four Peaks was looking good!
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i190/soaz/Four%20Peaks%20Pickup%2009/4peakspickup059.jpg

SOAZ
12-25-2008, 10:11 AM
I don't know if you VJC guys are up for healthy competition, but... The FJ Club has decided to try and get 100 members out there for the clean up.

I know that last year VJC and the FJ group had the most members represented. Who will have more this year?

Hunter
01-06-2009, 07:16 PM
Got MCSO approval. I will be there this year again.

The Ben
01-06-2009, 07:28 PM
Holy Crap I have never been up there but just lookng at those pictures makes me sick. If I don't have drill that weekend I will be there for sure.

Tom Schenk
01-06-2009, 07:49 PM
Karen and I will be there.

LJYJ
01-06-2009, 08:45 PM
we will be there. those pics are just heart breaking.

autograph3
01-07-2009, 03:53 PM
That is just awfull. How do people do that to such a beautifull place. Maybe Sherriff Joe, should bring out some of his peeps....

jeeperapril
01-07-2009, 04:23 PM
Four peaks, sycamore creek, and butcher jones should all be closed down. No matter how many times you all or anyone clean it up, it gets destroyed again in a month. Not the Jeeps, I know we don't do any damage? but the ATV's and the shooters sure do. 200 year old saguaro's being shot up , all the shells left behind and animals that were shot for the fun of it, some left injured(I have seen it done!) that is why before I had stated these places should be shut down. no matter how many times it is cleaned up, it will be right back to the way it is. How do you fix a shot up cactus? go ahead, bash me, but law enforcement will not be enough even if they do it. Shut them down to all vehicles, hikers, shooters for about 10 years, then maybe, the land could try to somewhat heal itself. Even if us jeepers are good folks and do what we should the ATV's and shooters and such never will. But I know as long as the jeeps can use the trail who cares about the rest right???

Hunter
01-07-2009, 08:32 PM
Sorry, but I couldnt disagree more April. Doing that is wrong for several reasons.

One: Admitting defeat and giving in. Next time, "they" will close the next place down again even easier.

Two: They have closed down so much all ready around this state, it doesnt do any good. I know, I have been wheeling this area for over 25 years between my family and I.

Three: The knuckleheads will just somewhere else. THEY ALWAYS do. Then the whole cycle starts over again.

Four: I view a place like this as a battle ground, knuckleheads against the good folks. They trash yeah, but we also get to show how many people are out that care and do what they can to help keep it open. Is it a loseing cause? Maybe. But I am not just going to roll over let them take it with out a fight.

mingoglia
01-07-2009, 10:08 PM
Hunter already summed it up but I want to add one more thing. I kinda take offense at lumping the ATV's in. I've been riding for many years and have yet to have anyone in any of my groups even once 'cause the type of destruction I've seen on some of these trails. Being a Jeeper and a ATVer, I maintain that ATV's are relatively easy on the environment... and most ATVers I know that rarely carry a sidearm while riding certainly aren't out there dumping 200 rounds of ammunition into the innocent cactus. Yeah, they tend to throw up more dust do to higher speeds but I believe the lasting affects are less.

Now as a shooter, we definitely need to do more to educate other shooters. Perhaps it's providing a fund to provide flyers with every purchase of ammo? I don't know the solution, but for the relatively small number of shooters that hit the desert they sure make a heck of a mess and concentrating on that problem would certainly aleviate a lot of these cleanups.

Four peaks, sycamore creek, and butcher jones should all be closed down. No matter how many times you all or anyone clean it up, it gets destroyed again in a month. Not the Jeeps, I know we don't do any damage? but the ATV's and the shooters sure do. 200 year old saguaro's being shot up , all the shells left behind and animals that were shot for the fun of it, some left injured(I have seen it done!) that is why before I had stated these places should be shut down. no matter how many times it is cleaned up, it will be right back to the way it is. How do you fix a shot up cactus? go ahead, bash me, but law enforcement will not be enough even if they do it. Shut them down to all vehicles, hikers, shooters for about 10 years, then maybe, the land could try to somewhat heal itself. Even if us jeepers are good folks and do what we should the ATV's and shooters and such never will. But I know as long as the jeeps can use the trail who cares about the rest right???

AZLugz
01-08-2009, 05:26 AM
I think we need to close everything to April......what is your problem!!!!

I own ATV as well as the Jeep and I didn't do that, whay are you blaming me and my family. You are far to closed minded and far to quick to jump up and follow anything you hear somewhere. I also happen to know a lot of shooters and they didn't do this, why are you blaming them.

Ya know what, now matter how many people we bust for DUI, the next day there will be just as many out there so I guess we better shut down all the roads...........Are you by chance a blond???

skeeter
01-08-2009, 01:00 PM
I will be there again . Last year was a great time and to see all the family's with their youngsters really impressed me. The children are the future and it was great to see parents doing the right thing for them and the rest of us.

jeeperapril
01-08-2009, 02:00 PM
[QUOTE=AZLugz;419247]I think we need to close everything to April......what is your problem!!!!

I own ATV as well as the Jeep and I didn't do that, whay are you blaming me and my family. You are far to closed minded and far to quick to jump up and follow anything you hear somewhere. I also happen to know a lot of shooters and they didn't do this, why are you blaming them.

Ya know what, now matter how many people we bust for DUI, the next day there will be just as many out there so I guess we better shut down all the roads...........Are you by chance a blond???

you take this personal? I did not say everyone that owns an atv destroys the land, but alot of them do, if you follow rules and don't go digging ditch's in the ground by running in mud, etc. than thank you! I appreciate that! And same with shooter's. If you go say to the rim, do you see the same damage done on the trials up there? Shooting stuff like at the lower desert areas? NO! the desert area off beeline is so close to the city that is where most of these folks go, I guarantee that if you shut them down, yeah, they may go somewhere else, but not all the way to the mountains because they are mostly day trippers and not enough time or money. I did not mean everyone does it, but most do. Sorry you took it so personal. and I am not a blond, but that statement means you think all blonds are dumb? now think about that!

urbex
01-08-2009, 02:09 PM
that statement means you think all blonds are dumb? now think about that!

And yet you seem to think that all ATV'ers and shooters are just out to kill innocent animals for the fun of it, and trash the outdoors. Pot...meet kettle. It's black too!

Since you appear to care so much about the health of these areas, I assume you'll be out there cleaning them up with us?

LJYJ
01-08-2009, 02:28 PM
I guarantee that if you shut them down, yeah, they may go somewhere else, but not all the way to the mountains because they are mostly day trippers and not enough time or money. !

Wrong again!. people will go where they have to. Thus causing more traffic in the places some people like to keep quiet!. Keep all the trails open.:fashizzle: "leave no trace" . Means taking trash out everytime even if its not yours and your not there to clean. shame on anyone who drives past trash. and leaves it there. unless it's my jeep. :laugh2: thats not trash:laugh2: leave it there.

04jeeptj
01-08-2009, 03:06 PM
I think there will always be people that just wont care and trash it anyways. BUT I would like to beleive that some of the people that go out there just need to be aware that if they leave a mess that it could get closed down and they will have no place to go.
When we cleaned up 4peaks last year, there were some people out there shooting and when they were done they helped us clean up the area. They "May not" have done that if we were not there, but at least the next time they went out "I hope" it made them think about cleaning up when they were done.

Closing down an area because "Some" people made a mess is not fair to everyone else that does clean up. But unfortunately it only take one bad seed to ruin an apple.

More education is a better, but often more expensive resolution.

jeeperapril
01-08-2009, 03:56 PM
And yet you seem to think that all ATV'ers and shooters are just out to kill innocent animals for the fun of it, and trash the outdoors. Pot...meet kettle. It's black too!

Since you appear to care so much about the health of these areas, I assume you'll be out there cleaning them up with us?

Guess you did not get it, I never said ALL ATV & Shooters are bad, but the majority of them that I have seen when I have been there were. If you have 80% breaking the law's and only 20% following them, the 80% is who and what is messing things up. And I may attend, If I will not be treated badly by folks that seem to not like me in this club.

SOAZ
01-08-2009, 06:42 PM
Thanks Ben, Tom and Karen!
Thanks Hunter!!

SOAZ
01-08-2009, 07:01 PM
we will be there. those pics are just heart breaking.
Thanks LJYJ. I don't even wheel the area that often, but its just upsetting to let it stay like this.

That is just awfull. How do people do that to such a beautifull place. Maybe Sherriff Joe, should bring out some of his peeps....
Not a bad idea. Hunter was able to get some of his buddies out there last year. They were nice to have around for any complications. Some shooters didn't want to leave for the cleanup. It is their right, but the sheriff seemed to make them want to leave. :laugh2:

I beg to differ. Its very easy to get frustrated, but I just drove the area we cleaned last year. Most of the pictures I posted are of new areas because there was little or nothing at most of the areas we cleaned. It does work.
The majority of Atv folk, shooters, dirt bikers, and offroaders are actually really responsible and great. Its just too bad that a few bad folks can make such and impact.
Those folks are the reason people want to shut an area off to 90% of the users when only 10% are bad.
I have a hard time seeing people point a finger. I'm a shooter, dirt bike rider, hiker, mountain biker, offroader, and etc etc.

Each group I hang out with talks about the other group as being the problem. It would be funnier if it weren't so sad. Nobody can see the simple fact that there are RESPONSIBLE users of each type and of course the good old IRRESPONSIBLE type. While all of the folks are busy saying its the darn Jeepers or atvers or shooters or mountain bikers (yah, if you are a hiker sometimes you believe that mountain bikes are inherently evil) our land is being trashed by yahoos of every sort and closed down by some other well intentioned, but illinformed yahoos of another kind.
April, I hope you don't feel I'm totally directing this to you. I just felt it was a good opportunity to voice my opinion in a general sense.

This event is cool in that there will be folks from every group, maybe even a few dreaded Sierra Club folks that I'm trying to show, explain and reason with that EVERY group has great, tread lightly, responsible people in it. The sport we choose is irrelevent.

I will be there again . Last year was a great time and to see all the family's with their youngsters really impressed me. The children are the future and it was great to see parents doing the right thing for them and the rest of us.
Thanks Skeeter, see you and your fam out there. I think some boyscouts will be out there this year so again it will be a family fun day.
(make sure they have their tetnus shots! :angel:)

I think there will always be people that just wont care and trash it anyways. BUT I would like to beleive that some of the people that go out there just need to be aware that if they leave a mess that it could get closed down and they will have no place to go.
When we cleaned up 4peaks last year, there were some people out there shooting and when they were done they helped us clean up the area. They "May not" have done that if we were not there, but at least the next time they went out "I hope" it made them think about cleaning up when they were done.

Closing down an area because "Some" people made a mess is not fair to everyone else that does clean up. But unfortunately it only take one bad seed to ruin an apple.

More education is a better, but often more expensive resolution.

Well said. Sometimes people do things because they think no one is watching. Us all being out there lets everyone know, that the desert is not a free for all place. People are watching and we don't appreciate the trashing of the area.

Guess you did not get it, I never said ALL ATV & Shooters are bad, but the majority of them that I have seen when I have been there were. If you have 80% breaking the law's and only 20% following them, the 80% is who and what is messing things up. And I may attend, If I will not be treated badly by folks that seem to not like me in this club.
Hey April, you are welcome as can be. I'll save a burger for you. :fashizzle:

On a side note. I thought I'd post this. I sure hope he comes this year. He sure is cool as heck.

Story bout a guy named Jimbo:

Last year while scouting cleanup sites we came across a guy shooting away with full auto weapons. Brandon (bman) who I was with said lets give him a flyer for the cleanup. I said, nahhh. He insisted so we walked over and this shooter, that looked like he was in a heavy metal band, took it and said "right on! I always clean up after myself!"

I didn't believe him at all, but oh well. Off we went.
On the way back down the road we saw him driving out. I've NEVER seen a chevy pickup filled so full of trash bags. The guy wasn't kidding!!
He takes out 50 times what he brings in each and every time.
He even came to the cleanup. Turns out, he's a basist in a heavy metal band. He said his mom always told him to clean up after himself and others if need be.

Some shooters are cool. Some... not so much, but this guy friggen rocked!!

:laugh2:

urbex
01-08-2009, 07:02 PM

Even though I know full well that your only purpose here is to troll, and get a rise out of people ('cause honestly....you couldn't possibly be this much of an ignorant idiot in real life), I still laugh at your responses. They make my day considerably lighter :)

SOAZ
01-08-2009, 10:26 PM
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i190/soaz/Four%20Peaks%20Pickup%2009/FourPeaks09l.jpg

jeeperapril
01-09-2009, 07:05 AM
Even though I know full well that your only purpose here is to troll, and get a rise out of people ('cause honestly....you couldn't possibly be this much of an ignorant idiot in real life), I still laugh at your responses. They make my day considerably lighter :)

Wow, calling someone ignorant for believing or looking at things differently than you. I thank you so much for your thoughts Urbex....back at ya:fashizzle:

AZLugz
01-09-2009, 07:19 AM
Well April, I can not tell you the number of times we have followed Jeeps, Buggies and Toy trucks, watching them throw water bottles and beer cans out. Mater of fact, I have seen far more of it from 4x4's than I have from ATV's, I specifically followed one group down a different trail than I had planned to run so I could keep picking up beer cans as they tossed them out. Suggestions made to them and an offer of a couple garbage bags only got me berated with comments that would not be allowed here.

Worse yet, a comment to a police offficer afterwards with promise of license numbers only got him to ask me a question......

Cop.."What did you do with the beer cans?"
Me.."I put them in black garbage bags, stuffed the in the back of the jeep and hauled them out to be recycled...."
Cop.."You do realize you could be busted for open container that way?!"

I still pick them up and haul them out, I don't waste my time on license plates any more.

The point is, its not Jeepers, its not Shooters, its not ATV'rs.....Its ignorant people, that was the point of my first statement too, not that you got it. People need to quit blaming groups. Next ppoint is that shutting dow the access to these areas won't do any good and that is proven. It is actually worse BECAUSE...once you shut down access, the legit people do not go in anylonger and therefore, most cleanups do not happen. Granted, a lot of the polluters quit going too, but not all of them, what they are doing is illegal in the first place, you think the closure will stop them??.... Now, granted you have less trash going out there, but now you have no one picking it up and in a very short time, you will have tons more out there than before.

Our loving God gave you a brain, engage it.

Now, back on track, Tim is trying to organize of group of the people that care, shooter, hikers, wheelers and all others to clean up a beautiful area. He went way out of his way in time and expense last year to do an incredible job on a cleanup effort, I say we get everyone we can and make last year look small!!!!

Thanks Tim, you are awesome!!!!

jeeperapril
01-09-2009, 07:54 AM
Well April, I can not tell you the number of times we have followed Jeeps, Buggies and Toy trucks, watching them throw water bottles and beer cans out. Mater of fact, I have seen far more of it from 4x4's than I have from ATV's, I specifically followed one group down a different trail than I had planned to run so I could keep picking up beer cans as they tossed them out. Suggestions made to them and an offer of a couple garbage bags only got me berated with comments that would not be allowed here.

Worse yet, a comment to a police offficer afterwards with promise of license numbers only got him to ask me a question......

Cop.."What did you do with the beer cans?"
Me.."I put them in black garbage bags, stuffed the in the back of the jeep and hauled them out to be recycled...."
Cop.."You do realize you could be busted for open container that way?!"

I still pick them up and haul them out, I don't waste my time on license plates any more.

The point is, its not Jeepers, its not Shooters, its not ATV'rs.....Its ignorant people, that was the point of my first statement too, not that you got it. People need to quit blaming groups. Next ppoint is that shutting dow the access to these areas won't do any good and that is proven. It is actually worse BECAUSE...once you shut down access, the legit people do not go in anylonger and therefore, most cleanups do not happen. Granted, a lot of the polluters quit going too, but not all of them, what they are doing is illegal in the first place, you think the closure will stop them??.... Now, granted you have less trash going out there, but now you have no one picking it up and in a very short time, you will have tons more out there than before.

Our loving God gave you a brain, engage it.

Now, back on track, Tim is trying to organize of group of the people that care, shooter, hikers, wheelers and all others to clean up a beautiful area. He went way out of his way in time and expense last year to do an incredible job on a cleanup effort, I say we get everyone we can and make last year look small!!!!

Thanks Tim, you are awesome!!!!

I agree with what you have said, I was basically saying the same but I guess it did not get across that way, I know it is some from all, but that some is causing great damage. At any rate, Tim thanks for setting it up it is alot of planning for you and it is appreciated. I will be there, it is very close to my home and I want that Burger! I will be glad to help out. And seeing that Sierra Club and maybe more types of folks will be there, it may be a good way to meet up with people that think more like I do regarding the environment and such. But if anyone calls me a ignorant idiot to my face like they do on this site, think twice before doing it, I have no problem putting you in your place! Also, are dogs welcome??? Happy day to ya all!

Hunter
01-09-2009, 08:06 AM
SOAZ laid out an epic post. Nice job. I also underastnd what AZLugz is tryign to describe.

No matter what hobby, passion,sport, etc you do that takes places out in the wild, there are those that will use that to trash the wild. ATV's cutting new trails... dirtbikes carving open desert.... jeeps, crawling uo the sides of mountains... shooters leavign crap everywhere....

These people arent 4wheelers, riders, shooters or Jeepers... there simply *****heads using the means to be stupid.

April, I seriuolsy do not want to belive that you really think ATV riders are 80% responsible..... That is such an ignorant statement....

Its simple really.... I dont understand why people dont get the 5-10% cause all the problems out in the wild.... its the same 5-10% that run red lights, beat there wives, drive drunk, speed, steal stuff, sprayapint walls..... I can go and on but hopefully, you get it..... its the same people that do the damage to our nature areas.

Clean-ups our are version a block watch, neighboorhood groups, what ever... our way to fight back and let the powers that be that people care. We need to show that care THIS much to keep them open.

I can tell you now about Law Enforcement, its hard out there.... so many miles and so much ground to cover.... Hell, in Phoenix you have an 1 Officer on duty for like every 10 sqaure miles or so.....plus with everyone watching... you still have al the crime

Out in the sticks, no one is watching and the Deputies are spread out over 100's of sqaure miles.

Up to us, all of us, to either educate, peer presure, or straight up "Hey, pick that crap up" to help turn the tide.

Hope to see you out there April.....

AZLugz
01-09-2009, 08:15 AM
I agree with what you have said, I was basically saying the same but I guess it did not get across that way, I know it is some from all, but that some is causing great damage. At any rate, Tim thanks for setting it up it is alot of planning for you and it is appreciated. I will be there, it is very close to my home and I want that Burger! I will be glad to help out. And seeing that Sierra Club and maybe more types of folks will be there, it may be a good way to meet up with people that think more like I do regarding the environment and such. But if anyone calls me a ignorant idiot to my face like they do on this site, think twice before doing it, I have no problem putting you in your place! Also, are dogs welcome??? Happy day to ya all!

Well, when you are out there, Look for an old fat man in a red Jeep with 4x4Him on the windshield and come over an shake my hand, I try to never call people ignorant in person or on the internet....unless I looses my temper :laugh2:

Hunter, hope you did not take my comment on the Cop as a personal hit, you guys are stretched way thin and I know that, I also have seen you go way beyond the call for this sport, anyway, it was meant to say that we are the ones who care and we have to do the work to keep things up

Stomper
01-10-2009, 06:27 PM
If I have the day off I will be out there.

Number 7
01-11-2009, 05:49 PM
Diane and I will be there. I will post this up on my Savage Sun 4x4 Expeditions group also. George

wild mustang
01-11-2009, 08:00 PM
has anyone noticed that this is the same day as the 101/202/303 classes? it is going to create a conflict for numerous folks. most likely it is easier to reschedule the classes, as several groups are involved with the cleanup.

any thoughts?

arczech
01-12-2009, 11:00 AM
has anyone noticed that this is the same day as the 101/202/303 classes? it is going to create a conflict for numerous folks. most likely it is easier to reschedule the classes, as several groups are involved with the cleanup.

any thoughts?

Oops, Good point Debbie

flyingwen
01-17-2009, 10:20 PM
Ok everyone!

We are 18 days away from this event!
I am still trying to generate some more media coverage. So far we have been on 98.7, Channel 12 and 3, are posted on the 103.9 FM site and I am working with another FM station to actually get them out to the 4 Peaks clean up on the day of the clean up.

Stickers are being made as a sort of fund raiser. This is costing the creator a lot of money out of pocket and I would like to help out. Any excess money left over will be donated to Disabled Explorers (www.disabledexplorers.com)and Karmaracer.org

If you can't make it, but would like to donate anyway click Here. (http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=865)

Hope to see everyone!!

AZCA Jeeper
01-18-2009, 07:53 PM
You can count me in. :fashizzle:

Party of 2.

Mike M
01-18-2009, 08:20 PM
I should be able to make it out.

wikid
01-21-2009, 01:58 PM
I'm glad to see Virtual Jeeps will be represented at the cleanup. I am signed up under AZFJ, and Copper State Cruiser This should be a great event

Thanks all

SOAZ
01-22-2009, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the support guys and gals!!!!

Also:
Lunch is being taken care of by the Copper State Cruisers!! We'll be grilling up some dogs.
Thanks,
Tim

SOAZ
01-28-2009, 08:02 PM
I just picked up a load of water and over a thousand bags from Arizona Clean and Beautiful.

I want folks to have this link. IF YOU SEE SOMEONE LITTERING OR DUMPING KEEP THIS LINK OR TELEPHONE NUMBER HANDY.

http://www.arizonacleanandbeautiful.org/LitterForm/LitterForm_page.html

The Litter Hotline (1-877-3LITTER)

Once you fill this out the perpetrator will get a letter like this:
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i190/soaz/Four%20Peaks%20Pickup%2009/50ea6e84.jpg

Its "just" a letter, but many of these people would not want to get caught and this lets them know that they are being watched. It may not change their mind, but I REALLY do think that it will put enough fear into the perpetrators to think twice before doing it again for fear that they are being watched.

Hunter
01-29-2009, 09:15 AM
That is a great idea. Nice job Tim.

SOAZ
02-02-2009, 04:08 PM
We're getting close to the cleanup. See you next Saturday!
Things to bring:

-GLOVES
-A RAKE (for all of the small stuff, shells, glass etc)
-SUNSCREEN
-A HAT
-WATER

arczech
02-02-2009, 04:26 PM
See you Sat. BTW where are we meeting? I am assuming four peaks road correct? what time, I guess I am just too lazy to go to the first page

SOAZ
02-03-2009, 09:49 PM
See you Sat. BTW where are we meeting? I am assuming four peaks road correct? what time, I guess I am just too lazy to go to the first page

HAHA! No worries.

The meeting spot is the staging area on Four Peaks Road. Follow the big signs I'll be placing out there.
The headquarters will be there all day to direct folks who show up throughout the day.
9AM it begins. I'll be there the day before.

RAIN IS POSSIBLE. THE CLEANUP IS ON RAIN OR SHINE. Please be prepared.
Thank you,
Tim

arczech
02-04-2009, 02:42 PM
Thank-you

Sean K.
02-05-2009, 10:51 AM
I just picked up a load of water and over a thousand bags from Arizona Clean and Beautiful.

I want folks to have this link. IF YOU SEE SOMEONE LITTERING OR DUMPING KEEP THIS LINK OR TELEPHONE NUMBER HANDY.

http://www.arizonacleanandbeautiful.org/LitterForm/LitterForm_page.html

The Litter Hotline (1-877-3LITTER)

Once you fill this out the perpetrator will get a letter like this:
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i190/soaz/Four%20Peaks%20Pickup%2009/50ea6e84.jpg

Its "just" a letter, but many of these people would not want to get caught and this lets them know that they are being watched. It may not change their mind, but I REALLY do think that it will put enough fear into the perpetrators to think twice before doing it again for fear that they are being watched.

Thanks for the letter and link.

Sean

John in AZ
02-05-2009, 08:19 PM
My & my son will be there in the D2500 4x4. More room for trash!!
John

AZLugz
02-06-2009, 06:28 AM
Tim,
I am truely sorry but my wife and I have to back out this go round, we were just informed that we have to work saturday.

GOTMTNS
02-06-2009, 09:34 AM
Sorry I wont be able to make it, but we were up there last Saturday and ended up filling the back of my ZJ and my buddies Rover with trash from a sight we went shooting at half way up. They blame it all on us and its all these street queens and there friends that leave everything up there.

If you do another one later let me know, I love Four Peaks.

David C
02-06-2009, 01:45 PM
I can make it to the cleanup this year! See ya in the morning.

HvyHau8272
02-06-2009, 04:19 PM
I should be out there at one point during the day. I can't make it first thing as my daughter has a soccer game in the morning. See you in the afternoon.

Joe West
02-07-2009, 05:35 AM
Yet another event on a day I have school... and now I have a JEEP!
Sheesh...

3 more months...3more months...3moremonths...

:D

Digger
02-07-2009, 05:53 AM
Looks like some of my favorite people will be there! Count me in, see you there!

AZCA Jeeper
02-07-2009, 04:47 PM
What a day! 500 or so people and 3 full dumpsters! They switched it up this year and set up cleaning sites not only along Four Peaks road but also across the 87 into Sycamore. I forgot the camera but I'm sure someone else took pics!

Number 7
02-07-2009, 05:38 PM
It was a good clean up today.

arczech
02-07-2009, 06:00 PM
I brought the camera, but took 7 pics, was busy filling bags.
We look forward to the next one. What a turnout, I know Hunter was keeping busy hopefully there were no major problems. Thanks Hunter for your presence

Tom Schenk
02-07-2009, 06:42 PM
Great turnout! My wife won a t-shirt and a Toyota E-tool in the raffle. It was said that around 20 TON of trash was picked up!

sjkimmel99
02-07-2009, 07:05 PM
created a pictures thread in the pictures forum

sjkimmel99
02-07-2009, 07:06 PM
deleted

HvyHau8272
02-07-2009, 07:25 PM
It was a good clean up....had a good time, Picked up lots of trash, won a few things in the raffle, got a flat tire, finished the day off with a wheeling trip out at the coves, recruted a new vjc member, and just got home. Long day!!

RandyT
02-07-2009, 07:36 PM
Great turn out. I must have raked up thousands of shotgun shells!
Thanks to all who participated! :punk:

Any media coverage?
The news are the first ones out there showing the place all trashed out, but when something like this happens they are a no show. :mad:

rosco
02-07-2009, 08:08 PM
id like too say that today i was not proud too admit that i was a member of this site, while leaving 4peaks this morning i was driving out a friends superduty pulling a toyota on a trailer and was dam near ran off the main road by 3 jeeps that came up the road driving in the middle and would not get over and once we got closer too the road where all the other vjc rigs were parked i waved at a handful of them and did not get one wave back. But thanks too everyone that helped clean up the place really needs it!

SOAZ
02-08-2009, 10:28 PM
Great to see everyone today! As I headed out of Phoenix today I heard some fellas talking about the cleanup on 2 meter radio. It was on a repeater I didn't have programed so I just listened in. They mentioned VJC. So cool to hear about it on the airwaves.
For Press, last year I got articles in blue ribbon magazine, tread lightly, arizona wildlife federations magazine and some OHV and "green" websites.
Today I just did an intervice for ABC Channel 15. Already did one for KDKB, 98.7 the Peak, channel 3 and channel 12. So far so good.

Talk about a great day. Over 500 people and initial estimates show over 20 TONS of trash. Thank you all so much!!
Amazing effort put forth by all of the volunteers!
Tim Huber

SOAZ
02-16-2009, 10:14 AM
Represent! Show that you were a part of the largest OHV user cleanup. Buy a Four Peaks Pickup sticker today! ALL proceeds go to the cleanup and charities for this years pickup. There are a limited supply and once we are sold out thats it.

http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=982

I just put mine on the truck!
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i190/soaz/Trips%20and%20Adventures/2-10-09%20Anza%20Borrego/AnzaBorrego028.jpg

LJYJ
02-17-2009, 10:43 AM
Great turn out. I must have raked up thousands of shotgun shells!
Thanks to all who participated! :punk:

Any media coverage?
The news are the first ones out there showing the place all trashed out, but when something like this happens they are a no show. :mad:

I was looking for traffic cams that might get a view 4 peaks and stumbled apon this
http://www.abc15.com/content/news/phoenixmetro/story/Volunteers-take-on-trash-in-Four-Peaks-area-east/moWJKnNhM0qYJ3UXN4KvEg.cspx

http://www.fourpeakspickup.blogspot.com/