PDA

View Full Version : Jeep vandalized on Sedona Cliffhanger!

Sedona Jeep School
10-19-2008, 03:20 PM
Wow! I can't believe this happened in Sedona! And ESPECIALLY that one wheeler would do this to another wheeler. It is not my Jeep or one of my fleet, but it is used to be--we sold it to a local guy who has been driving it for years. It is a recognizable Jeep--it is a red 98 TJ that we stretched to a 4-door. I do not have photos of the incident--was not on the scene, but Joey and Darryl responded to the call and here is what they reported back to me.

At approximately 9 AM this morning, Jim (Jeep owner) called from the upper part of Cliffhanger. He said his Jeep died on the trail and appeared to be leaking gas from the tank. Joey went out to inspect/assist--appeared to be a tank/pump failure. Due to it's size, Joey could not tow it back up hill and out with his two-door, so they went back to town to meet up with Darryl and the 1-ton diesel to drag it out. They left the Jeep at approximately 10:20. When they returned at 11:50, the Jeep had all four tires slashed and had been rammed on the passenger side.

The truly alarming part is that we are 99% certain who did it. There were very distinct tire tracks and bumper marks on the side of the Jeep. The sheriff was called and I have not heard back yet as to what pursuit might be made. Regardless of the circumstances, there is no justifying this action.

I will keep you all posted.

Bilt4Comfort
10-19-2008, 03:34 PM
I hope they find the ****er.

AZredneck1862
10-19-2008, 03:39 PM
well at least you know who it is due to the evidence
CASTRATION IS A MUST

My Green Jeep
10-19-2008, 03:40 PM
Thanks for letting us know Nena but dang...

That is one sick puppy...to do that to another persons vehicle...

zonabluemoon
10-19-2008, 03:50 PM

amber.hodge
10-19-2008, 03:51 PM
what a loser. for that to happen in under an hour, they must have been in a real hurry to do that and get going. I wouldn't be surprised if they had been watching them or had seen them go on the trail and had gone out to the disabled jeep when they saw the two of them come into town with the 2 door Jeep.

Well, hopefully the sheriff matches the paint to the offender's vehicle and the tire tracks to his vehicle.....hmmmm that is vandalism, hit and run, destruction of property.....

lancetkenyon
10-19-2008, 03:53 PM
What kind of tires? And you sure it was not a greenie, treehugger? There are lots of those up there in Sedona/Pachouliville.

lancetkenyon
10-19-2008, 03:54 PM

what a loser. for that to happen in under an hour, they must have been in a real hurry to do that and get going. I wouldn't be surprised if they had been watching them or had seen them go on the trail and had gone out to the disabled jeep when they saw the two of them come into town with the 2 door Jeep.

Well, hopefully the sheriff matches the paint to the offender's vehicle and the tire tracks to his vehicle.....hmmmm that is vandalism, hit and run, destruction of property.....

Ah ha......second screen name huh? So who is the pic of?

Bilt4Comfort
10-19-2008, 04:22 PM
Ah ha......second screen name huh? So who is the pic of?

That's Kim...I've met her.

Bilt4Comfort
10-19-2008, 04:32 PM
That's Kim...I've met her.

No wait...maybe that was a dream...

Bilt4Comfort
10-19-2008, 04:42 PM
No wait...I once knew a girl named Kim that looked similar to that avatar.

Bilt4Comfort
10-19-2008, 04:43 PM
I do not know jeeperapril.

Bilt4Comfort
10-19-2008, 04:44 PM
The sky is blue...I swear.

WalterD
10-19-2008, 05:04 PM
Sucks. I was talking to my parents today about how nice that area is and about camping down by the river.

Jdemonto
10-19-2008, 05:08 PM
Very disapointing....

Jason

HvyHau8272
10-19-2008, 05:54 PM
That sucks. Hopefully they catch the POS that did it.

sunroom2004
10-19-2008, 10:16 PM
I was camping up in Oak Creek this weekend and I saw that stretched red TJ in Sedona. Nice rig...hope they catch the criminal responsible.

Rogue XJ
10-20-2008, 12:19 AM
unbelievable.... nail 'em, there's no justifying such stupity.

TERRIERjeep
10-20-2008, 01:02 AM
any updates?

Sedona Jeep School
10-20-2008, 06:46 AM
Getting the sheriff and forest service out there took a while. They both said they don't have the time and resources to find out who did it. Jim and myself believe that this was a personal thing between him and an individual with whom he has had trail etiquette issues on this particular trail. At this point, all I will say is that the tracks were wider than an F350, and was heavy enough to total a 6000 pound Jeep. And greenies do NOT drive any such vehicle.

Because it was a personal thing, I don't think anyone should be uncomfortable about using this trail, in fact I am thinking about leading a ladies' run or others as a show of public support for the public non-commercial use of this trail. I WILL be reporting to the forest service any and all permit infractions I witness by commercial users, including failure to yield right of way to the public.

What kind of tires? And you sure it was not a greenie, treehugger? There are lots of those up there in Sedona/Pachouliville.
"Pachouliville"! LMAO! And, for all our visitors, our new traffic circles are not called "roundabouts"--they are the "vortexes of death". :D

Happy trails!

cosninocanines
10-20-2008, 08:21 AM
Call Sheriff Joe! He will do anything to get in the media. I to am sorry to see something like this I hope it does not escalate to others. If we only knew a fellow jeeper who happened to be a YC deputy they might put some effort forward.

brian lujan
10-20-2008, 08:44 AM
thats not cool at all.

lancetkenyon
10-20-2008, 12:27 PM
So it was a ****ing Hummer tour vehicle huh. A-holes.

wedicotrucker
10-23-2008, 01:49 PM
Any pics?

Easyover
10-23-2008, 02:02 PM
So it was a ****ing Hummer tour vehicle huh. A-holes.

Sounds like broken Jeep was blocking the trail and the Hummer tour rig unblocked it with it's front bumper.

Not cool. I would be in ***** kick mode if it were my Jeep!

AZScooby
10-24-2008, 04:43 PM
Getting the sheriff and forest service out there took a while. They both said they don't have the time and resources to find out who did it. Jim and myself believe that this was a personal thing between him and an individual with whom he has had trail etiquette issues on this particular trail. At this point, all I will say is that the tracks were wider than an F350, and was heavy enough to total a 6000 pound Jeep. And greenies do NOT drive any such vehicle.

Because it was a personal thing, I don't think anyone should be uncomfortable about using this trail, in fact I am thinking about leading a ladies' run or others as a show of public support for the public non-commercial use of this trail. I WILL be reporting to the forest service any and all permit infractions I witness by commercial users, including failure to yield right of way to the public. .

"Pachouliville"! LMAO! And, for all our visitors, our new traffic circles are not called "roundabouts"--they are the "vortexes of death". :D

Happy trails!

We've had 2 previous trips down Cliffhanger when we ran into the Hummer tour groups. Both times they refused to move out of the way. The first time the woman driving even had a huge area to pull into but still refused to move even though we had to move 8 Jeeps out of her way. Very rude group for sure!!!!

My Green Jeep
10-24-2008, 05:50 PM
Wow... that is sad that there is nothing going to be done about it..

I would have someone go check out all the pink hummers to see if there
is any "jeep rash" from them "moving" it!

lancetkenyon
10-24-2008, 06:44 PM
Any news on LEOs taking care of this?

Cave Gimp
10-25-2008, 07:31 AM
Sucks for the owner. I really hate when folks don't have trail etiquette, either while jeeping, or hiking. Once things are taken care of legally, post up the name so we can flame them. Or at least tell friends to not tour with them.

Sedona Jeep School
10-25-2008, 08:29 AM
There is only one hummer tour in Sedona. They are the only tour company that uses Cliffhanger. They do have a history of being rude and NOT exhibiting good trail etiquette or land stewardship.

These pics are from the guys putting on the stock 30's to get the Jeep out.

Oc1paddler
10-25-2008, 03:02 PM
My guess would be that since it didn't happen on a public roadway and that there probably aren't any witnesses's that the chance of getting the law to do anything is rather remote. It's really a shame that it had to come to that. My guess would be that if no one gets prosecuted for doing this that it will probably get worse before it gets better.

SHNIPE
10-25-2008, 03:36 PM
what about this
http://www.pinkjeep.com/downloads/Pink-Jeep-Tours-Sedona-Tour-Trekker.pdf

shaggy914
10-25-2008, 08:04 PM
it wasnt at a part of the trail that was too narrow to pass was it?
what the hell did the customers think when the driver did this?
really need to find the ledger and get a statement from a customer.

not only did it damage the door but also the cowl.

they clearly own him a new door and funds to pull that dent do body work and blend out the paint.

im assuming there were customers and the driver didnt slash the tires.
what would be the point of driving the trail in a company vehicle if there were no customers unless it was training. if so what the hell did the new employee think of this?

truly unbelievable. people like this should be allowed to use the trails. and where they hell are this individual's parents?!?

lancetkenyon
10-25-2008, 09:57 PM
it wasnt at a part of the trail that was too narrow to pass was it?
what the hell did the customers think when the driver did this?
really need to find the ledger and get a statement from a customer.

not only did it damage the door but also the cowl.

they clearly own him a new door and funds to pull that dent do body work and blend out the paint.

im assuming there were customers and the driver didnt slash the tires.
what would be the point of driving the trail in a company vehicle if there were no customers unless it was training. if so what the hell did the new employee think of this?

truly unbelievable. people like this should be allowed to use the trails. and where they hell are this individual's parents?!?
W T F??? I hope you mean SHOULDN'T!!!

GRUNT
10-25-2008, 10:23 PM
I would have someone go check out all the pink hummers to see if there
is any "jeep rash" from them "moving" it!

My guess is if they did it, he'd have the hummer/bumper painted that night in the shop. I bet if he hit it getting by, he'd pull ahead with his group and claim to be going back to "leave a note/check damage" where he'd slash the tires... Unfortunate event anyway you look at it.

ZBM is a real person....

Sedona Jeep School
10-26-2008, 07:32 AM
The Jeep was broke down on a part of the trail where another Jeep could get by, but not anything full size. And, there is another route in where the broken Jeep could have been bypassed.

I would not believe that this was done during a paid tour, but all of the tour companies have support staff and vehicles for trail maintenance and/or recovery, and this was only 20 minutes from town. The Jeep was not accidentally hit while someone was trying to pass. All four tires were slashed, THEN a very wide vehicle repeatedly backed up and smashed into the side of the Jeep to push it off the road, knocking the slashed tires off the rims. The doors, door pillar, windshield frame, cowling, fender, and, of course, all four tires sustained damage.

And, a marked, numbered forest service road IS considered a public thoroughfare.

What we can do is report any un-stewardly behavior to the forest service.

SHNIPE
10-26-2008, 07:50 AM
If you want. we can drag my jeep out there as bait and see if anyone tries it again :D not like we'd notice the damage but we could watch and see

jeepdude775
10-26-2008, 08:16 AM
Wow. I like the bait idea. Block the trail and hide. I guess the moral of this story is always leave someone with a disabled Jeep. Preferably with a weapon it sounds. Scumbags

Offroad Rubicon
10-26-2008, 09:16 AM
That sucks... *** is wrong with people? :pinch: I don't care if the vehicle is the biggest heap in the world there is no reason to do this. I would be pissed and going rig to rig to find the culprit... I would make sure the SOB paid the piper.
:behead:

brian lujan
10-26-2008, 10:05 AM
i say pistols at dawn, paint ball war.

lancetkenyon
10-26-2008, 10:25 AM
I say we get a run up for a weekend, and stack the rigs right in the middle of the trail and claim the top ones are broken and we cannot move ANY of them. Kind of like this......

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn47/lancetkenyon/Willow%20Springs%2010%2012%2008/DSC05452.jpg

SHNIPE
10-26-2008, 10:36 AM
from that angle.. you cant see many of your dents :D

GRUNT
10-26-2008, 03:18 PM
I say we get a run up for a weekend, and stack the rigs right in the middle of the trail and claim the top ones are broken and we cannot move ANY of them. Kind of like this......

I like Lance's idea... And whomever mentioned paintballs. Dennis, is your rig running?

Sedona Jeep School
10-27-2008, 09:19 AM
The problem is that it would be difficult to establish NEW damage to any of your Jeeps! :D

lancetkenyon
10-27-2008, 01:32 PM
In that picture, there is Kyle(TRLR8TDTJ)super clean rig, Bryan(Scully) super clean rig, Rich(RokNRich) super clean rig, and Tom(Tom Jacobson) pretty clean rig, and myself(tetanus shot necessary when walking by).

dogma
10-28-2008, 05:46 PM
im up for Lances idea. And a sniper point from above????

DirtyKorean
10-28-2008, 06:57 PM
I've got a few paintball pistols, and I can donate my POS to the cause I don't have enough dents or dings or anything. Running into a garbage can on accident didn't do anything.

Karma is a biotch

Sedona Jeep School
11-10-2008, 12:27 PM
News! Jim is selling the Jeep as is. He has $8-$10K in it, but will negotiate generously for serious buyers. It should be up on craigslist this afternoon, with better pics than are in this thread.

Details: 2000 TJ Sport, custom stretch 4-door, 65K miles, Dana 44 rear, 5-spd. Professionally maintained--Jim is not a do-it-yourself wrencher--he is a professional guide, and leaves the Jeep tech to the professional mechanics.

Call Jim directly at (928) 593-0334. Ask him for the "hummer special" :D

CaptainMorgan
11-10-2008, 12:41 PM
WOW! I used to see that Jeep around.. It was badass. I hope it isn't ruined.