PDA

View Full Version : does anyone know about the young marines program

chopped7
10-01-2008, 10:11 AM
my 12 year old son decided to join the young marines program. for my wife and i, it came out of left field. he's never expressed any intrest in the military. my wife told me about it right before i went to work last night. i figured it was kind of like boy scouts or something that he wanted to do with his friends. no big deal.

i got home from work this morning and he comes down from his room with a nice, high and tight haircut. i asked him about the program. he said he likes it and then drops a bomb i didn't expect.

me 'do you want to be a marine'

aj 'no, airforce'

me 'pilot'

aj 'yes'

me 'are you going to stick with it'

aj 'yeah, until i'm in high school and join the rotc program'

me 'wow, maybe i will be able to retire before i die' [j/k on the last part]

i'm not sure how i feel about the whole thing. i guess it would be one thing if it was something his friends did and he just wanted to join the group they were in but the whole airforce, pilot, rotc thing seems a little much for a 7th grader to have all mapped out. with guidance, he could actually pull his plan off. the only thing i ever thought about in 7th grade was keeping my dirtbike running.

i didn't serve in the military so i'm not sure where the influence came from. most of my friends are vets and my sister just came home from kuwait on a navy reserve job recently. maybe they have been an influence but i would never have thought he gave a double duece about it. i would never discouge him to join the military but i would never try to push him into it either.

this is the same kid that's wanted to be an astronaut, a politician, and a scientist. the whole fighter pilot thing may go down in flames like his other career ideas but what if it doesn't.

i guess i think it's just kind of weird to be recruiting pre teens but on the other hand, if that's what they choose they will have a head start.

i just found out about this stuff yesterday so i have no idea what it's all about. i'm just wondering if anyone knows about the young marines program. whether my son sticks with his plan or not, i'm sure he will learn more than he would playing grand theft auto.

Silvacon
10-01-2008, 10:45 AM
You mentioned at one point he wanted to be an astronaut. Most pilots of the space shuttle have military pilot as a background......just a thought.

ademster
10-01-2008, 10:46 AM
I don't know anything about it per-say, but one thing that will come from it is Discipline and respect.

I cant see any harm of him joining.

TRobertsRN
10-01-2008, 10:49 AM
Don't know about the young marines part.

Do know a young man who at an even youinger age decided he wanted to be an Air Force Fighter Pilot. He is the son of my best man when I married in 1988. There was no Military experience in his family ever. He was facinated with planes from a young age.

Always a bright kid but not doing well in school at that time due to divorce and school bored him.

I had a discussion with him that if he wanted to do this he would need great grades, take the tough classes in high school/college, and be in great physical shape to even be considered.

He was straight A's ever since, and is built like a swimmer with much bigger shoulders and arms now. Lots of time spent on flight simulators and air traffic control videos too.

Your son may stick with this path or may change his mind again, but either way it will serve to focus and direct him. Efforts at self improvement via education and physical exercise will help him in what ever he chooses to do.

He has about 10 years before he could be a fighter pilot.

I know in that time frame I was convinced I would be an Engineer. Didn't turn out that way.

Sounds like you are a good dad who has no plans to keep him out of or push him into Military service or any other profession. I was lucky to have a dad like you.

My dad was a Marine, he has always been proud of what ever I choose to do well.

Tom

allek@t
10-01-2008, 11:12 AM
I think that's great that he has an idea about what direction he wants to move towards.
I have to agree on the discipline aspect as well as respect, and common sense.
That just means that you've guided him in the right direction to make strong healthy choices, and to think maturely.

Fire Ball
10-01-2008, 11:45 AM
I knew I wanted to be a pilot when I was 5 years old. Had I gone the military route it would have been a lot easier on me financially. :D

Simon@4Wheeler's Supply
10-01-2008, 11:56 AM
Even if he follows a different path in the future The Young Marines will teach him self respect and respect for others. He wont walk around with his ball cap on sideways and his pants falling down. No matter what he chooses encourage him to do his best. Even if he wants to bag groceries he will have a better chance with The Young Marines background vs. nothing. He will be a better man.:)

Markos
10-01-2008, 11:59 AM
My friend always wanted to be a pilot also. He is now a captain in the air force, but can't fly due to a heart murmer that he has always had.

If he is really serious about this, you may want to double-check the physical requirements so that he doesn't have a suprise in 6 years when he goes into the program. Other than that, I don't see anything wrong with the program. It sounds like a positive influence to me. How about the civil air patrol? Perhaps that is more fitting, given the fact that he wants to fly.

chopped7
10-01-2008, 12:06 PM
I had a discussion with him that if he wanted to do this he would need great grades, take the tough classes in high school/college, and be in great physical shape to even be considered.

that was exactly what i told him this morning before he left for school. my son is very smart, has a huge vocabulary, but hates homework. he's been in project ideal [which is some kind of gifted student program] since 3rd grade but consistently fails to turn in his work. there have been assignments i've watched him do but he didn't turn them in. to this day, i'm not sure why. he kicks butt on the aims tests every year but homework has been his downfall in school. i had a talk with him over the summer about 7th grade. i told him it starts to mean something for his future so no more dickin' around. he had all a's on his progress report so we'll see if he can keep it up. i'll be fine with whatever he does even if it's working at the plant like his dad and his grand dad, just as long as he does it well.

RatherBNarizona
10-01-2008, 12:09 PM
I always wanted to join the air force since I was his age, and I really thought I wanted to be a pilot.
But since I got into college I used the air force as a back up plan

Tirith
10-01-2008, 02:57 PM
I think it's great that your son is starting to think about this at his age. I was a sophomore before I got my act together, and that was almost too late. Some kids mature earlier than others, and have a good idea of what they want to do at an early age. They may sound like dreams, but hey, sometimes dreams come true. Someone's gotta fly to the moon. :)

As long as your son continues to show the interest, Young Marines/JROTC is an excellent way to be introduced to the "culture". Even if he later decides against it, he will have gained something. Two of my nephews spent several years in JROTC; while they did not join the military after graduation, they really enjoyed the experience.

I wish I had such an opportunity at his age. I think it could only have been beneficial. (My parents repeatedly threatened to send me off to a "military school" until I called their bluff one day and said "Let's go!" :laugh2:)

I started thinking about flying at about your son's age, and had the same dreams about being a scientist, astronaut, pilot, etc. My parents knew this, so when I was a freshman, they dropped a pamphelet in my lap for the Air Force Academy. I decided right then and there that I was going to shoot for an appointment. I made sure I got good grades, joined the speech & debate team to beef up the academic side, and joined track/cross country for the athletic training. By the time I graduated, I ended up the alternate in my district for West Point, and was offered a three-year Army scholarship, and a four-year AF scholarship.

Even so, my parents did not push me too hard. I set my goals; they just provided me with the info, and made sure I understood what I had to do to accomplish them. If I wavered in my pursuit, they gently reminded me that I would have to enlist when I turned 18. :sifone:

So I don't fly (glasses and somewhat colorblind), but hey, it got me to a good place. :)

GRUNT
10-01-2008, 09:03 PM
Young Marines is directed at developing young people. It is like most other youth type groups yet only modeled after the Marines. It is taught be retired Marines or those already off/out of their contracts, since we are not near a Marine base. I used to instruct with them. It was a fantastic program in DC and kept many kids off the street and out of trouble. It is by no means a recruiting tool! I have seen this program turn scared/nervous boys into confident young men and seen loud obnoxious bullies learn self respect and respect for others. I also like it cause it is not video games or damn Disney/Nickelodeon.... I let my son watch 30 minutes of TV after his homework, unless he is watching the history channel or Discovery. Only then it can only be equal to the amount of time he was outside playing with the dogs or at the park with his buddies.

Which unit did he join? I was asked to head the Mesa unit a long time ago but I did not have the time. I will be helping the Chandler unit this Winter.

Like any program it is voluntary and is made by the effort the child puts into it, as well as support from family.

AZdezertgirl
10-01-2008, 09:07 PM
my 12 year old son decided to join the young marines program. for my wife and i, it came out of left field. he's never expressed any intrest in the military. my wife told me about it right before i went to work last night. i figured it was kind of like boy scouts or something that he wanted to do with his friends. no big deal.

i got home from work this morning and he comes down from his room with a nice, high and tight haircut. i asked him about the program. he said he likes it and then drops a bomb i didn't expect.

me 'do you want to be a marine'

aj 'no, airforce'

me 'pilot'

aj 'yes'

me 'are you going to stick with it'

aj 'yeah, until i'm in high school and join the rotc program'

me 'wow, maybe i will be able to retire before i die' [j/k on the last part]

i'm not sure how i feel about the whole thing. i guess it would be one thing if it was something his friends did and he just wanted to join the group they were in but the whole airforce, pilot, rotc thing seems a little much for a 7th grader to have all mapped out. with guidance, he could actually pull his plan off. the only thing i ever thought about in 7th grade was keeping my dirtbike running.

i didn't serve in the military so i'm not sure where the influence came from. most of my friends are vets and my sister just came home from kuwait on a navy reserve job recently. maybe they have been an influence but i would never have thought he gave a double duece about it. i would never discouge him to join the military but i would never try to push him into it either.

this is the same kid that's wanted to be an astronaut, a politician, and a scientist. the whole fighter pilot thing may go down in flames like his other career ideas but what if it doesn't.

i guess i think it's just kind of weird to be recruiting pre teens but on the other hand, if that's what they choose they will have a head start.

i just found out about this stuff yesterday so i have no idea what it's all about. i'm just wondering if anyone knows about the young marines program. whether my son sticks with his plan or not, i'm sure he will learn more than he would playing grand theft auto.

crazy that you say that... my son who is also 12.. was wanting to join.. he said some friends of his were joining.. he is already involved in two series of motocross and baseball so it never happened but it was nice to hear that thier are programs out there like that. if i remember right it costs a bit though? but what doesnt anymore? i think its great!

chopped7
04-10-2009, 11:29 AM
Well, he stuck with it. he is no longer a recruit. He is a young marine. many of the kids he joined with couldn't/didn't hang. he is still into it 100%. he has acknowledged the fighter pilot thing may not happen but he still wants to be in the usaf. all the kids went to the luke airshow for the whole day. my son bought some aviator sunglasses for $5 at a booth. his nickname is now hollywood.

here are some pics. i'm proud of the kid. my daughter wants to join now too. she will probably start this summer.

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/8749/grad1.jpg

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/894/grad2p.jpg

http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/2904/grad3.jpg

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/2710/grad4.jpg

this is what he looked like before the young marines.

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/281/ajlonghair.jpg

i really liked his long hair but i'm cool with whatever he wants. and for those that think he's got lipstick on('cause I was like ***? when i first saw the pic) it's koolaid. you can see the koolaid 'stache on the outer edges of his top lip.

don2222222
04-10-2009, 11:42 AM
Congratulations...

That's a great program and it's offered by DOD just like the program that I work for. It has helped immeasurable numbers of young folks nationwide.

Good for him! (and for you!)

Simon@4Wheeler's Supply
04-10-2009, 10:07 PM
Great, you must be proud of him. I know I am. He will be a better person for it.:)

amber.hodge
04-10-2009, 11:00 PM
When I first joined the Arizona Guard and worked out of the Chandler Armory, the Young Marines had their gatherings there. That was my first experience. Kind-of like a cross between boy scouts, ROTC, Civil Air Patrol all at once.

At Ben's farewell, there were backpacks made up for the children of the service members which had stuffed animals, toys and other items which were to help the kids get through the deployment.
These were made by the local young marines. They do a lot of community service efforts and other things. Good to hear you've got a kid with his head on straight!

It is a great organization - I'm not sure if it funnels your kid more into marine corps service or not, but its not like there is a young fly boys or a young sailors organizations....Besides, the young air force kids would just golf all the time and the young sailors would be busy drinking and womanizing! :o

There is also the civil air patrol, the 4H (they have a big military kid involvement through the state chapter of Operation Military Kids which is ran out of University of Arizona by Teresa Noon), school ROTC, boy scouts of america, devil pups, etc. If its something to keep them off of drugs and out of parenthood before they are adults - hell, why not????

Henthorn
04-11-2009, 01:20 AM
You may also want to point him to the sheriff office "explorers" program. Kinda like boy scouts.

Kudos to your son for his interest!