PDA

View Full Version : New guy here needing...

ASCTLC
09-26-2008, 11:53 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm a new guy to the site and would appreciate a little help finding some trail heads this weekend.

I've been talking about leading an AZ trail run for some members of the club I'm in for a couple years now and now's as good of time as any to do some scouting. I'm from Colorado but am in Glendale for the weekend. While I'm here I'd really like to find:

1) the Table Mesa trail heads Anaconda, Collateral Damage, Judgement Day, Predator, and the Terminators. And any others in the Anaconda & CD class.

2) the Florence trail heaqds Axle Alley, Bad Medicine, and Woodpecker. And any other trails in the AA and BM class.

When we went to Las Cruces the first time, we spent far too much of our day just trying to find the trail heads. With all the roads crossing all over the place it's not the easiest to find the trail heads. Montrose is the same way but since we go there often enough, we get around fine. Well, I heard the same trail finding difficulty is true down here.

I know it's a late request (working long days and odd hours all week) but is there any one who might be able to show me these trail heads? I brought my GPS to document the way there and the trail heads. Someone was nice enough to send me their GPS waypoints but I haven't been able to successfully upload them (I'm sure it's my faiult, not hers).

We're tentatively planning between the last 2 weeks of Feb and the first 2 weeks of Mar 2009 for the trip which will likely be only 4 rigs.

Another issue is the rumor that some trails have been closed by the Fish and Game division. Are these trails closed or are they more of the higher speed trails (roads) that generally generate more dust, if I understood the reasoning correctly?

You can PM me information and thanks a million for any help!!!

Andy

DrewDog
09-26-2008, 12:07 PM
Andy, I would suggest looking to see if anyone is running those trails this weekend and ask for an open seat. Or as your trip out here comes closer make friends with people on here that know the trails and ask them to lead. There are a lot of great people on here and I'm sure with enough notice you could find a trail leader. Just my .02..............Drew

AZG23
09-26-2008, 12:47 PM
I X2 what Drew said...those trail locations arent just given out...

Silvacon
09-26-2008, 12:53 PM
I X2 what Drew said...those trail locations arent just given out...

Caution to this one, his first post with no introduction and straight to the point for trails....

Maybe I am just overcautious...

Digger
09-26-2008, 05:40 PM
Hi there! What is the name of your club?
.... Digger B. Trouble

JeepTJ98
09-26-2008, 10:57 PM
Caution to this one, his first post with no introduction and straight to the point for trails....

Maybe I am just overcautious...

X2

Jdemonto
09-26-2008, 11:00 PM
:lurk5:

fjcarena
09-26-2008, 11:06 PM
Try googling ASCTLC he is with a couple of clubs if this is the same person, which it seems it is.

ASCTLC
09-27-2008, 08:06 AM
Drewdog and AZG23, I'm down here working my tail off (engineer with Motorola working on the Glendale Public Safety system) and can't commit to a trail ride as much as I would like to. If things break any time over the weekend I have to instantly drop what I'm doing no matter where I'm at and head in to resolve the problem. Driving to the trail heads to find them is non-commital enough that I am free to do that. We'll probably have to rely on the asking for a trail leader when the time comes.

Digger, We're with the Rocky Mountain 4 Wheel Drive club out of Colorado Springs. I recently moved to Loveland, Co but continue my membership in the club because we're a small club and all get along very well. There are currently 11 families in the club but only 4 of us pursue the toughest trails. I do the trip reports for the tough trips we take and they can be seen at www.rockymountain4wd.com

fjcarena, You're right, what you Google is probably me (don't know for sure as I've never Googled myself). Not that I expected everyone to go hunt me down.

Andy

Wayco
09-27-2008, 08:21 AM
Thanks for clearing that up Andy, I guess we are a little protective when it comes to our trails, since we are one of the few states that still have access. Might be a problem with your situation though, even Table mesa is at least half an hour from Glendale, and Florence trails are even further. I'm closer to the White Tanks and although our trails are not as famous as some you have mentioned, I would be glad to show you a couple if you find the time.
We try to get up to Colorado at least once a year, usually Ouray, but we missed it this year. Great wheeling and a little different than what you will find in this area. Can you tell us about your rig? It will help others with trail selection.

ASCTLC
09-27-2008, 10:16 AM
Wayco,

Of the 4 of us that run the extreme trails they refer to my rig as "the little jeep", but don't let that fool ya. I'm on 37s, ARB'd Dynatrac hi pinions front and rear, sprung w/ Alcans, plenty of skid plating, virtually flat center skid, and don't worry about my fenders while wheeling even tho I currently chose to keep them on the rig. I built it as a low center of gravity wheeler that is fine tuned to withstand the roughest of trails, and drive home if need be.

My rig still looks clean and virtually everyone who sees it (and doesn't know me) never believes we run the trails we do. Looks are deceiving when you judge by my rig. We're a small group that doesn't believe you have to tear up your rig to run an extreme trail. We play hard by using our heads.

As you would see in the trip reports on our web site, we've run trails such as Las Cruces Habenaro Falls & Tobasco Twister, Montrose Die Tryin & Cactus Ridge, Grand Junction Billings Canyon, Beuna Vista Carnage Gulch, Penrose Patriot, and Farmington's Waterfall Trail. All great and challenging trails we've run but not "over our heads" as some might believe when they glance at my rig. This is the class of trails that would make the 15 hour drive each way and the enormous cost of fuel to get here for 2 days of wheeling worth it.

Right now, I'm leaning more towards running the trails in one area (Table Mesa) believing there's enough to take a solid 2 days doing the best of the best for that area. That's why I listed such as Anaconda, Collateral Damage, Axle Alley and Bad Medicine. I'd really like to have a look at Twisted and Die Hard too. I suspect these will be on our list to run if I can get a look at them.

Another task while down here is to try to find a hotel close to the trail heads to reduce drive times and hopefully keep costs down by being a little known out of the way place. No way can we afford the cost of the hotel Motorola has me in right now.

I can make the trip to Table Mesa but just have to change plans immediately if need be. I just wouldn't have the time to finish a trail or have the nerve to ask someone who just unloaded their rig to load it back up and get me back.

Andy

Jdemonto
09-27-2008, 10:21 AM
Lets see some pics?

Jason

ASCTLC
09-27-2008, 11:25 AM
Lets see some pics?

Jason

Sorry, I don't have any kind of picture account. Gotta check out the Trip Reports on our club's web site. www.rockymountain4wd.com

Andy

Jdemonto
09-27-2008, 11:29 AM
Sorry, I don't have any kind of picture account. Gotta check out the Trip Reports on our club's web site. www.rockymountain4wd.com

Andy

Which one is yours?

Jason

Digger
09-27-2008, 11:38 AM
I spent a couple weeks on the trails up your way, man the camping in wonderful! I don't have a GPS, but have know many of the trails. Hopefully you get a few hours off tomorrow and hook up with some of us.:)

ASCTLC
09-27-2008, 12:24 PM
Which one is yours?

Jason

I'd say the good looking one but that's always subjective.

I have a black YJ on MTRs. Most striking difference in all the trip reports: From the front view is the non-integrated winch, mini-stinger bumper, KC lights, and 046-BMP plates.
From the side view is the TJ fender flares (that get scaped off on just about ever trail run), red/white/blue "Jeep" sticker, and customer rocker skids.
From the rear view, Dynatrac Pro Rock axle and 046-BMP plates.

Trip report Penrose 10/06, starting with the 3rd picture down is mine. Since I write virtually every trip report, you'll recognize my rig where I begin a picture description as "I" or "my".

Andy

Wayco
09-27-2008, 01:04 PM
Just guessing here, but I think this is Andy's rig:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/allands/21R11.jpg

After your description and looking at a couple of those threads, no doubt you are ready for our harder trails. I like your philosophy too, although I haven't been able to achieve 4+ trails without leaving some yellow paint spread around. :pinch:

OK, I see we are dueling posters, my slow typing makes me the looser every time!

ASCTLC
09-27-2008, 03:15 PM
Yup, that's it Wayne.

Slight changes in the last few months. Dumped the front and rear bumpers. They kept getting in the way so I made better ones :D

Antman
09-27-2008, 03:30 PM
Andy, the reason for the run around is this is an open
forum and we don't give gps coordinates to ANYBODY.

Not even known members unless in pm's maybe. This
helps keep the trash off the trails in more ways than one. When your ready to go just jump on here and ask
for a trip leader and theres always someone ready to
have an excuse to run some trails. It sounds like you
and your rig are more than capable.
Have fun my friend and welcome to AZ.

ASCTLC
09-27-2008, 03:53 PM
Thanks Bill. I didn't figure anyone would post on the open forum but rather via PM for such sensitive information. No different than it is in Colorado so I understand.

It's all good tho, I figured things would straighten out through conversing just as it has.

Even with directions, we always have one heck of a difficult time finding the trail heads and waste precious time driving around or starting the wrong trail. Thus trying to take advantage of an opportunity since I'm here for this weekend.

Andy

Wayco
09-27-2008, 03:59 PM
Bill, he already has waypoints, just can't load them into his GPS. If you read his first post, he was asking for someone to lead him. I'm not ready to lead anybody through Anaconda, :aagh: and most of the trails he wants to run aren't in my GPS either.
I think the real problem is that nobody is wheeling TM this weekend. Or if they are, they ain't talking about it here.:mickey:

Jdemonto
09-27-2008, 04:15 PM
Nice jeep Andy!

Jason

lancetkenyon
09-28-2008, 02:30 PM
There was a trip to TM this weekend, and a trip to FJ also. Lots of carnage at FJ this weekend, but all cosmetic I think.

redcagepatrol
03-23-2009, 07:25 AM
bringing up an old thread, but I am also in the same situation.

We'd love to have a trail leader but it will be during the week so that takes out most people.

We plan on starting at FJ on 3-31 - next week and then heading up to TM for a day or two before heading back to Texas.

It will be a full week for us - we are starting at Trees Ranch in Texas on the 28th, then hitting Las Cruces on Monday, drive on Tuesday, Wheel FJ on Wednesday, TM on Thursday.

Specifically, we are looking for these trail waypoints:
FJ area:
Elvis
X
H2H
AA

TM area:
Twisted
Die Hard
Collateral Damage
Raw Deal
Predator
Annihilator

Let me know if ya'll can help, anything will be appreciated.

lancetkenyon
03-23-2009, 08:08 AM
Quite a difference in trail difficulties between FJ and TM. A little info on rigs and mods would help someone determine if then can/will lead you on these runs. The FJ trails are moderate to mildly difficult, the TM trails selected are a LOT more hardcore. There are few members on here than can/would lead you on the TM runs you requested. Namely Twisted, Die Hard and Annihilator. CD, Pred are doable by quite a few people. Raw Deal is an easy trail, doable by stock rigs.

RokNRich
03-23-2009, 09:49 AM
We'd love to have a trail leader but it will be during the week so that takes out most people.

You can pick up a copy of Charles Wells book, has directions to some of the harder trails in it.........like you said, it might be hard to get a leader mid week. One day in each area won't be enough time to run everything anyways.........good luck and post a link to your trip report when it's done :)

LJYJ
03-23-2009, 10:01 AM
Look at that spring under YJ go! YEA BABY!!!!
http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq328/LJYJ/billings42.jpg

Nice rig! do you still have stock axles? I might have missed the post~!