PDA

View Full Version : Attempted CJ7 theft...

RED78
08-21-2008, 03:15 AM
Son of a guns tried to steal my CJ last night while at work between 1am-3am.
Area of Sweetwater and I-17. When I went to move my Jeep to another parking spot I couldn't put my key in then noticed the key cylinder had been destroyed
but wasn't completely out, Thank God .
Called Phx PD and officer did come out and took report . Had to get it towed home. Then instead of going to hospital to see my Dad who was just diagnosed with cancer I attempted to replace the key cylinder only to find out some more parts in steering column were damaged .
A big thanks to Nacho and Julie at AMC 4X4 Salvage for getting me some used and new parts I needed. Just one part they didn't have which they ordered for me. Man when it rains it pours!
Knuckleheads left their nice big screwdriver for me.
.........Bob.........

HvyHau8272
08-21-2008, 04:53 AM
Glad to hear the POS's wernt able to complete the theft. Good luck on the repairs.

LJYJ
08-21-2008, 07:57 AM
Martha fockers!. That really grinds my gears.
I'm glad you still have it though! If you ever see them again you can give them back their screw driver. A few times. I'll help you dispose!

Oldyeller
08-21-2008, 03:31 PM
If they left the screwdriver then you may have walked out in the middle of the theft, FYI there are some really really easy ways to hotwire the CJ's. You might want to get a hidden kill switch.

azsnowmedic
08-21-2008, 10:16 PM
I just put a hidden kill in my yj last week. Beware of kills that hook into cig lighters or high beams. The crooks know those tricks too. Make it a pain in the *** with multiple theft detterents. IE battery locks and steering to brake locks. I use a heavy krypto cable to the rollbar.
Also paint that kill in flat black when you hide it.: when all else fails take your coil wire with you.

azsnowmedic

GRUNT
08-21-2008, 11:16 PM
I think we should build a "bait jeep!" Then set a trap for them... Then....:smash:

LJYJ
08-21-2008, 11:28 PM
I think we should build a "bait jeep!" Then set a trap for them... Then....:smash:

X-2 I'm in. I dont even want the police involved!

jay simmons
08-25-2008, 09:22 PM
x3

RubiJk
08-25-2008, 09:29 PM

x100!

This is a great idea! We should seriously consider something like this!

My Green Jeep
08-25-2008, 10:24 PM
Glad to hear that they didnt get your CJ... kill switch time...

RED78
09-04-2008, 06:45 AM
Got my CJ fixed, replaced the turn signal switch , the rack ,and this little gear ,also got the steering column collar that has the hole for the key cylinder. A little cleaning , a little paint and a little luck and it all went back together nicely. Went to a key shop to get duplicate keys and a big lock. Looked at a collar type device that supposed to protect the key cylinder and keep the steering wheel from turning. Tried one but didn't fit quite right. The guy is going to find one that fits. In the mean time I'm chaining up my steering wheel to my rollbar. It won't stop them but it may slow them down a little.P9010266.JPG

tomfooshee
09-06-2008, 07:27 PM
hopefully the screwdriver had their prints all over it.

roadrashmike
09-07-2008, 07:48 AM
Got my CJ fixed, replaced the turn signal switch , the rack ,and this little gear ,also got the steering column collar that has the hole for the key cylinder. A little cleaning , a little paint and a little luck and it all went back together nicely. Went to a key shop to get duplicate keys and a big lock. Looked at a collar type device that supposed to protect the key cylinder and keep the steering wheel from turning. Tried one but didn't fit quite right. The guy is going to find one that fits. In the mean time I'm chaining up my steering wheel to my rollbar. It won't stop them but it may slow them down a little.P9010266.JPG

it only takes 3sec. to cut the steering wheel with a bolt cutter,spend the money for a senor alarm like PYTHON,VIPER or CLIFFORD.
I have a python you can`t get within three feet of my Cj7 without it :mad:warning you,
if you stick your hand inside the jeep the alarm goes off full bore the jeep will not start even it you have the key and the pager.you`ll need the code to punch into the pager to shut up everything up and be able to start it and thats only if you found the kill switch.mean while all this is happening to the would be thief the pager tas told me that someone is try to steal my jeep, now they have to deal with a pissed off fat guy with a .45 cal auto

familyxj
09-07-2008, 02:41 PM

I know a thing or two about bait cars if you need help. I operate and maintain bait cars for a valley department.

AZredneck1862
09-12-2008, 03:43 PM
i have a suggestion you can fix my other CJ and use that with all the stuff the guy lied to me about on the one im currently working on that oone prolly wont even run but u couldmake it look perty for me lol