PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Dublin!!!

amber.hodge
08-17-2008, 07:50 PM
Yes, I am in Dublin and that is why I have been away from the site...No, it is not Dublin, Ireland...
I'm at Camp Parks Reservist Training Center in Dublin, California staying in WWII era barracks which I do not believe have been updated in at least 30 years. We have internet available if we hoof it up the road to the MWR center and otherwise just cable TV. Open bay barracks with cubicles for room deviders....My roommate loves rap which sucks for me...
My twin bed was probably manufactured close to the same time I was born and the linens they issued us warranted a trip 2 miles down the road from base to Wal-Mart to buy our own. There is no A/C or heat, which causes severe heat discomfort in the daytime and severe shivering at night. The food is by far the worst the Army has yet to offer me, but at least it is food. The showers are open bay as well and somebody had the bright idea of putting windows at waist level throughout the bathroom and showerroom, which offer minimal privacy so we shower in the dark.
We may not go anywhere on base between the hours of 0730 and 1600 w/o marching, and nobody seems to know/be willing to call cadance....which would be fine if they allowed us to route step march - that is banned as well.

Tomorrow I have PT at 0450 in the morning, and the training schedule is a 7 day a week schedule. I'll be home on September 10th.....counting the days.
I'll be more available at that point to help with the SAR courses and group. This hellhole and the preparation to attend this hellhole is the only reason I have decreased my involvement.

Anyone wanna wheel on September 13th??????????????????????

I will take pictures - I am sure it will get better, but it is definitely the worst living quarters I've had in the military - to INCLUDE boot camp. :eek:

FrenchChili
08-17-2008, 08:00 PM
you're so funny. I doubt you can but pics would be cool! Not of the showers of course, that's optional:D:p

My Green Jeep
08-17-2008, 08:19 PM
Hey there GF... glad to hear that you are ok... but sorry to hear
that your living situation sucks right now... would love to go
wheelin on the 13th but again... i work weekends :(

amber.hodge
08-17-2008, 08:52 PM
Well, perhaps I can take that monday off...... ;) I do, after all, have leave time to take!

mbuckner
08-17-2008, 08:59 PM
What are you doing over there????? Training ??? For what????????

Jdemonto
08-17-2008, 09:16 PM
Sounds rough Amber.....See you in September

Jason

Digger
08-17-2008, 09:19 PM
Hey there Amber, ...well it sounds like you are able to keep some humor of the harsh living conditions!!! You Go Girl!!!!

Bilt4Comfort
08-17-2008, 09:26 PM
Waist level shower windows...BRILLIANT!!!
Sounds like you're havin' a blast girl...thanks for serving!

My Green Jeep
08-17-2008, 09:29 PM
I have Wed/Thurs off now... you have to let me know... I usually
have the grandbaby on my days off...

samdog3
08-17-2008, 09:29 PM
AMBER I WILL GO WITH YOU ANY TIME, THE 13th lets go

Jdemonto
08-17-2008, 09:45 PM
AMBER I WILL GO WITH YOU ANY TIME, THE 13th lets go

Where have you been?:)

Jason

GRUNT
08-18-2008, 12:02 AM
Do you want me to stop by and feed Ben and fill his water bowl?

Number 7
08-18-2008, 07:17 AM
Hey Miss!!! We were just thinking about you the other day. Glad you posted up. Let us know what you're running on the 13th!

Hang in there Amb!
GnD

Wayco
08-18-2008, 08:11 AM
Do you want me to stop by and feed Ben and fill his water bowl?

Now that right there is really funny!:smilielol5:

We were wondering what you had gotten up to also. I has similar lodging on the Millington naval air station in Tennessee, but I don't remember the showers quite like that. I had always thought that the Marines had the worst accommodations, should have known......

cosninocanines
08-18-2008, 10:00 AM
Hang in there and THANK YOU for all that you do. I sure do hope Grunt can get over and fill that water bowl!

The Ben
08-18-2008, 12:10 PM
I had always thought that the Marines had the worst accommodations, should have known......

No they just whine the most J/K I know you marines are sensitive:pinch:

grateful
08-18-2008, 10:13 PM
Glad to hear you're ok, despite those living conditions...Am out of town that September weekend, but will hope to catch up with you soon!
smiles, karen

SHNIPE
08-18-2008, 10:24 PM
youve been gone?

Detention
08-19-2008, 04:33 AM
It could be worse, at least you'r not overseas. I feal your pain though, I was in the military and did a total of 1.25 years in Iraq:osama:. Thank you for serving.:patriot:

amber.hodge
08-22-2008, 07:49 PM
youve been gone?

LOL yeah, I would have had another 4k posts by now if I wasnt! :)

It could be worse, at least you'r not overseas. I feal your pain though, I was in the military and did a total of 1.25 years in Iraq:osama:. Thank you for serving.:patriot:

You know, I do agree that Iraq would be worse, however, I value my freedom to make adult common sense decisions for myself knowing what the consequences are going to be for doing the wrong thing. We are all NCO's in my course yet we are being treated like we are in basic training.
The most recent turn of events was yesterday when I came back to the barracks at lunch to do laundry --- 'they' had tossed all of our racks during the morning. Looking for bed bugs...BED BUGS...because bed bugs were discovered in a few of the beds in another barracks. So my hospital corners on my bed got all jacked up - but that wasn't a big deal - it was a big deal that they didn't just ask us to check our beds and let them know if there were any issues...
Then the fact that we cannot drink....we cannot eat unless it is between 0600 and 0645, lunch or dinner at 1600 until 1800 - we cannot walk anywhere unless we are marching - we cannot march without calling cadence......AARGH I cannot wait to get out of here. Don't get me wrong - it could be worse.

We went to rent mountain bikes the other day, but they have 1 helmet that isn't broken and we are required to wear helmet and road guard vests if on post. We were all given free tickets to the indy car race in sonoma, but there is no way to get up there.
I guess we are going to go to downtown san francisco....I'm afraid of going to the beach - I keep picturing Borat in that speedo with a lisp and a boyfriend....
Anyone from the board going to be by richmond, san fran or anywhere north?

ob1jeeper
08-22-2008, 08:25 PM
Hey Amber... Thanx for your service... Even if the living conditions aren't exactly conducive... Hang tough and give 'em hell...:aagh:

danno
08-24-2008, 10:16 PM
I am originally from Pleasanton... the town right next door...

We used to call Dublin, Scrublin... Now you know why... Be sure to wave at the prisoners in the Alameda County Jail that is also in Dublin adjacent to Camp Parks.

arczech
08-26-2008, 08:05 AM
Hang in there Amber, like you said it could be worse.
Sept 13 should work out for us if you still go wheeling.
Stay cool and or hot lol
See you soon.
Alan and Tammy

amber.hodge
09-02-2008, 03:06 PM
Well, I'm taking a chance to type a quick couple of posts during a lull in instruction. I have completed the first phase with a GPA of 97.43% overall. Another .57% and I would have had Honor Graduate, but I'm pretty pleased with what I earned.
It was over 100 degrees out here and there is no air conditioning in the barracks, nor is there water or ice provided. The weather has gotten a bit cooler over the last 2 days, though, so it is back to being tolerable again.
Ben has been pretty sick and I may be coming home early on a red cross message which I received earlier today. (he's not in the hospital - is stable - but will be undergoing some procedures during my schooling next week). If I can hold out until Sunday, I will be able to graduate but come home 4 days early, which will be a relief.
****I think Ben's getting close to qualifying under the husband "lemon law" with all of his surgeries this summer!!:eek:****
There are feral cats - AND SKUNKS - that reside under the barracks buildings, so quite often I am woken up at 0300 because of the skunks spraying. I've stockpiled febreeze in my barracks room for those occasions.
I really think I'd be doing the Army as a whole a favor if I burned down the barracks by accident.

Saturday, Ben came up to San Fran for a day - he came despite of feeling like crap - we went to China Town ------- I ate Duck and Oyster Clay Pot. It was ****** disgusting!!!!!
I took a picture of it because it was so offensive, and I'll have to post up my pictures when I return. The architechture in San Fran is amazing, but it is full of freaks and the drivers are freaking crazy. I really did not feel at all comfortable driving around the city - it is much better for walking or riding that stupid MUNI cable car thing. :)

DANNO -
Dublin is pretty bad. We always go into pleasonton. The female inmates have to clean the base for us - funny you mentioned them! :)

amber.hodge
10-07-2008, 09:59 AM
http://photos.walmart.com/share/p=15871223394046198/l=15888778/g=14291926/cobrandOid=1011/otsc=SYE/otsi=SALB

So, as you all know I got back a few weeks ago from school in Dublin, CA at Camp Parks Reserve Training Center. I haven't gotten a chance to download everything, so I have finally downloaded everything to wal-mart.com If you click the link above, it should take you there. :)

All in all a fun trip to reflect back on even though it wasn't the most fun environment. Ben did manage to come out for one weekend which is great because now that we have both been to San Francisco, there is NO REASON to ever return! :)

Oh, and I earned Honor Graduate status in my school with a GPA of 98.89% overall :)